• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~Need help planning a 7 day trip with a Claustrophobic.~

CaptnBeckles

Earning My Ears
Hey there! My Name is Rebecca and I'm new to the boards, but not so new to Disneyland. My first trip was in February 2010 with a lovely group of ladies called the DisDivas. I'm 21 years old and have just booked my next trip for May.~:)

However, this time around I'll be travelling with my mother, who is quite claustrophobic and does not like the feeling of being closed in, but would really like to try and experience everything there is to do in the parks. Since it's been about three years since my last trip, I'm not sure what's changed, and I didn't plan much of my trip so I'm rather oblivious to the secrets any veteran park-goers may have. We will be going for 7 days in May, and I have always been terrible at planning itineraries, so I've come to the experts for help!

So, in short, I would like help with planning out our 7-day trip, while trying to keep my mother in the most comfort. <3 Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

How bad is her claustrophobia? Your statement that your mother is "quite claustrophobic and does not like the feeling of being closed in, but would really like to try and experience everything there is to do in the parks" is hard to respond to. Would standing in line bother her? Is medication available? Does the dark bother her? I guess without knowing more, my concerns would be the beginning of the Haunted Mansion, waiting for WOC, and dealing with the crowds before, during and after F! and the fireworks show. Since you are going in May, you would avoid the heavy holiday crowds, which are quite stressful.

...oh and Nemo. There is a viewing room for the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage that is available so that guests can see the visuals of the ride without entering a submarine. Ask the ride CM and they will let you into the room.

Well yes, as PP said it's hard to say without knowing how claustrophobic she is. I'm also claustrophobic but have no issues with the rides at DLR or DCA. I've never felt too closed in at all, I worried about Nemo because of the tight quarters but I find if I put my face close to the window and let the air from the vent blow in my face I'm fine. :)

Without knowing details of how mild or severe your mom's phobia is, she would probably want to avoid indoor rides/attractions. But that might also limit your options on some attractions. Does she ever get claustrophobic when outside but in a large crowd of people?

Is her claustrophobia bad enough that eating indoors in a restaurant? If so, then you would only want to eat at outdoor dining places.

Is she claustrophobic in an elevator? If so, are you staying at a hotel where there is a good chance of being situated on an upper floor? If so, is she in good enough shape to be able to climb several flights of stairs? If not then that would make me consider staying at another hotel/motel.

Has she considered what techniques or tools she will use if she starts to have a panic attack? Can her doctor prescribe an anxiety medication for her to take that day which might help?

Just some stuff to think about. I hope you have a great time in the happiest place on earth!

My mom is a functional claustophobic (can handle the airplane ride, but hates it), and she can get through the que of Indy, but feels closed in. Haunted Mansion doesn't bother her. Star Tours and the Subs she will sit out. Hope this helps!

I get a touch claustrophobic in super tight spots (like in climbing caves, under a blanket, etc.) or if it's enclosed, or with too many people and too warm. Nemo was a little much for me (I handled it fine, just didn't enjoy it) and had a small issue with a few of the lines that have enclosed areas. (Snow White's Scary Adventure is the one I remember, for some reason) Some parts of Splash's line might be an issue? The elevators on ToT and HM? Like everyone said, it depends on how bad it is for her, and what her triggers are! You can see most of the rides and even some of the lines for them on Youtube, which might give you some good ideas...

...oh and Nemo. There is a viewing room for the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage that is available so that guests can see the visuals of the ride without entering a submarine. Ask the ride CM and they will let you into the room.

What!? I did not know about this!!! I haven't gone on those submarines since I was 8 because I get claustrophobic. Didn't know there was another option :)

What!? I did not know about this!!! I haven't gone on those submarines since I was 8 because I get claustrophobic. Didn't know there was another option :)

Yes! It's called the "Observation Outpost." Here is the info from the DLR website:
The Alternate Show On Shore
And for those unable to negotiate the steps down into the hatch or who simply wish to stay ashore, enter the Observation Outpost at the end of the dock. Manned by a member of the N.E.M.O. Institute, this facility offers a high-definition video version of the voyage via onboard "SubCam."​

Silly Me, I didn't realize I had been so vague with her phobia. My mother is the type of person who is uncomfortable on planes, because they literally enclose her in a space where she can't freely open the doors at will, but she's fine once the vents turns on and there's fresh air moving about. If that helps define it any more.

I would avoid the caves on Pirate island....very, very tight quarters and can be crowded too.

I don't love the que at Indy either...but I don't mind the HM elevator ride at all so go figure. I also didn't have a problem on Tower of Terror.

I have been on Nemo once and it is just too tight in there, IMO. They pack everyone in there like sardines.

I also don't like a part of the line at Space Mt.....it is the part when you first get inside and are waiting in what appears to be a long hallway...eventually the line ends up in the big open area where people load into/out of the ride.

Silly Me, I didn't realize I had been so vague with her phobia. My mother is the type of person who is uncomfortable on planes, because they literally enclose her in a space where she can't freely open the doors at will, but she's fine once the vents turns on and there's fresh air moving about. If that helps define it any more.

Seems she is slightly worse than I am. :) I think the places she will have the most trouble will be the caves on the island and the subs, but if you can use the Observation Outpost instead she won't miss out on those. Oops, sorry, I mean that. :)

I also don't like a part of the line at Space Mt.....it is the part when you first get inside and are waiting in what appears to be a long hallway...eventually the line ends up in the big open area where people load into/out of the ride.

Yes, I don't like that part much either. I don't mind walking through it, but if the line is backed up to there, and it's warm at all in there... eek.

Some of the ride queues are pretty tight, but the worst by far is Indy. I am slightly claustrophobic but this ride gives me high anxiety. I love the ride itself so I will find the quickest way through (usually single rider). Space Mountain is bad, too. But it's not all indoors like Indy so I can usually manage that one...

Nemo is horrible, imo. I wouldn't even call myself claustrophobic, but that ride makes me feel crazily claustrophobic.

thewritegirl said:
Nemo is horrible, imo. I wouldn't even call myself claustrophobic, but that ride makes me feel crazily claustrophobic.

Memo has an observation deck for this issue as well as handicap people. You go to the CM at the exit and tell them you need the observation deck. It is a nice size room that has a couple benches and room for wheelchairs. There is a big screen and you see everything that everyone on the sub sees. And if you need to leave in the middle of the show, you can!

imalwayscrazy said:
Memo has an observation deck for this issue as well as handicap people. You go to the CM at the exit and tell them you need the observation deck. It is a nice size room that has a couple benches and room for wheelchairs. There is a big screen and you see everything that everyone on the sub sees. And if you need to leave in the middle of the show, you can!

Also you will get to experience the attraction faster and it is AC during the summer and heated during the winter.

Yes, this has been mentioned at least twice in this thread. :) Have you used it? Just wondering, I find I can ride Nemo if I do what I mentioned previously. :)

Oh thank you so much everyone! of course I can't speak much for her comfort since I'm not in her shoes. But Are there like... 'Chicken out' exits throughout the lines? Like places she could simply exit the line from if she finds the atmosphere too bothersome?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter