Need Help Planning for A Pretty Short High School Band Trip

Oswald's Protege

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit > Mickey Mouse
Hey so I am part of a high school marching band and we are going to be at WDW from 12/29-1/1.

We arrive late 12/29 so we're probably going to do DS for a bit. Then 12/30 is a free full day. The morning of 12/31 is free but then we have to go to MK to march in a parade in the afternoon. On 1/1 we have a musician's clinic in the late morning (probably at MK) but other than that we're free.

We have three day park hoppers so I was just wondering what would be your strategy to try and get everything in?

Current plan is probably AK & HS on 12/30, full day at MK on 12/31, Epcot for second half of 1/1?

I will also be with a group of 5-6 high schoolers, so keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance.

My daughter is doing the same kind of trip over Spring Break, so I hope you have fun.

The best advice we'll give might not work for a high school group. which would be to get to MK before it opens for rope drop. The 31st is an insane day, but if you're all willing to get up early -- and I think that will mean around 630 (if not sooner) for an 8 am open -- you can get some things done before the day's crowds build en masse. I know my daughter would have difficulty with this strategy, especially without her mom and I there to wake her up, get her going to the shower and out the door. But maybe you and your friends are better risers :)

FPs for the big-ticket rides are going to be hard to get because of your groups size, the busy-ness of the holiday and that you're only staying three days. In all likelihood, you won't be able to get FOP or SDD (or maybe even 7DMT) when your window opens, but you should be able to get anything else. Grabbing 4th FPs is going to be tough because of the crowds. So, if you all can get up, I'd plan on rope dropping MK in the morning and getting in the first three or four rides you really want to do, then start your FPs around nine (which will give you a window until 10) and then you can get back for the parade.

If you've got some extra money -- and it's not cheap -- I'd recommend doing one of the Desert Parties for New Year's Eve fireworks (if they offer it). If you don't want to do that, plan on watching the fireworks from near Pooh -- a great place to see them without battling crowds as much. Remember on your AK/HS day you can only make FPs at one park, so it might make sense to rope drop one park and make FPs at the other.

Aside from all that, make sure your friends understand how busy it will be and that you really won't be able to get everything in. But you'll have fun in the crowds ad being on your own. Hope it's a great time.

Last edited:
We have three day park hoppers so I was just wondering what would be your strategy to try and get everything in?

You won't, so don't even try. Especially on those dates. Lower expectations, then lower them again. Pack lots and lots and LOTS of patience.

Talk to each person in your group, and see what interests them. Another alternative is to go with the Touring Plans tours for teens.

Also, a resort hopping day would be enjoyable, and a lot less stress than park days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter