need help w/ 1 day/night in Phoenix

tammydel

A true blue DISer!
We are doing an Adventures by Disney - Southwest Splendors.:banana:
We are flying into Phoenix a day early and need a nice hotel and something to do that day. We won't have a car so it has to be near the hotel or cab ride that won't take all our spending $$$.
There are lots of hotels listed near the airport, but it is so hard to tell on line. Love to hear a local's advice.
We are a family of mom, dad, daughter-10 and son-11. Dates are 8/15 -8/16 We'd love to see something more typical to Phoenix than our native NY, but would settle for something that keeps the kids happy before the ABD begins.
Thanks in advance,
Tammy

We are doing an Adventures by Disney - Southwest Splendors.:banana:
We are flying into Phoenix a day early and need a nice hotel and something to do that day. We won't have a car so it has to be near the hotel or cab ride that won't take all our spending $$$.
There are lots of hotels listed near the airport, but it is so hard to tell on line. Love to hear a local's advice.
We are a family of mom, dad, daughter-10 and son-11. Dates are 8/15 -8/16 We'd love to see something more typical to Phoenix than our native NY, but would settle for something that keeps the kids happy before the ABD begins.
Thanks in advance,
Tammy

I would try to not stay near the airport... if you can afford it I'd look in Scottsdale to stay... I know the Holiday Inn Express is nice, I believe its on Scottsdale Rd and Earll. As for stuff in the area to do, there is the Heard Museum which all about Native Americans and you can also check out shopping in the area. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the infomation. Heard Museum looks like a great idea. I'm curious as to why not near the airport? Other than the obvious noise and such, is it a very undesirable location? How much further is Scottsdale or other areas that would be nicer to stay?
To clarify our situation, we arrive t Phoenix airport around noon Friday and have to be back at the airport around noon the next day. We also will not hve a car.
That is why I'm wondering how far we can venture from the airport. But if it is closer than I think (I've never been to the area) then perhaps we have time to stay a little further?
Thanks again forthe info!
Tammy

Thanks for the infomation. Heard Museum looks like a great idea. I'm curious as to why not near the airport? Other than the obvious noise and such, is it a very undesirable location? How much further is Scottsdale or other areas that would be nicer to stay?
To clarify our situation, we arrive t Phoenix airport around noon Friday and have to be back at the airport around noon the next day. We also will not hve a car.
That is why I'm wondering how far we can venture from the airport. But if it is closer than I think (I've never been to the area) then perhaps we have time to stay a little further?
Thanks again forthe info!
Tammy

If you won't have a car then staying near the airport is probably a better idea. I'm not sure how far the Heard is from the airport.

The Heard museum is in downtown. I would think no more than 15 minutes from the airport.

There are many hotels by the airport. I'm sure some of them are fine and would just try to look up reviews on trip advisor. 20 years ago, before we lived here, we needed an overnight hotel and stayed at an Embassy Suites. It didn't look like much on the outside, but the courtyard was pretty. Have no idea how it is now.

If you do want to do Scottsdale, the downtown area of Scottsdale shouldn't be too far from the airport. There are many hip hotels there.

Also, near the airport is Tempe. Maybe see if there is a nice hotel by Papago Park. Papago Park has the botanic gardens, the Phoenix zoo, and some really neat arch formations. At least it might feel a little more southwest, whereas by the airport, downtown or downtown Scottsdale will all be more urban. Don't be fooled by the Buttes Hotel ads (I think in Tempe). While it is set up in the rocks, all you have views of here is the freeway.

Another idea - if you are coming during the summer, about 10-15 minutes south of the airport is the Arizona Grand Resort. They have a waterpark that is open during the summer. Just make sure to request a room near the waterpark and away from the freeway.

The Courtyard by Marriott Camelback is not too far from the airport, and has rooms for $79/nite. It's near the Biltmore Fashion Park for shopping and near a bunch of restaurants. You could use the city bus to head to Scottsdale. You could probably look to Priceline/Hotwire for a rental car to get around. Good luck.

You are all a wealth of information. The Disboards are the place to go when you need to know!
I am looking into each of these options.
Thanks
Tammy

Anything near the Biltmore wouldn't be that far because the airport has a back exit at 44th Street that lands you pretty close to there. So the Ritz Carlton, Arizona Biltmore hotels would all be in play, too. The Ritz has great service, the Biltmore is a historic hotel with beautiful grounds and waterslide.

Weekend car rentals are so cheap! Don't you want to rent a car for 24 hours and really get out and see some of Arizona? At least Scottsdale.

If not , one good place is Doubletree Suites, but all the near-airport hotels seem pretty secluded, no walking to dining etc. Most are next to a business park or office building.

Weekend car rentals are so cheap! Don't you want to rent a car for 24 hours and really get out and see some of Arizona? At least Scottsdale.

Don't worry, we do plan on seeing Arizona. When we go back to the airport it isn't to fly out, it is to meet the Adventures by Disney folks. Then its off to Sedona then the Grand Canyon. We are just flying in the day before the Adventure starts.

[/QUOTE]
If not , one good place is Doubletree Suites, but all the near-airport hotels seem pretty secluded, no walking to dining etc. Most are next to a business park or office building.[/QUOTE]

This is the info I need thanks. I know NOTHING about Phoenix - but I'm learning here!
When I started I was looking at finding a well known chain like a Hyatt or something of the sort, near the airport, maybe a free shuttle - I did find some of those, where the kids could have a swim, we could acclimate to new time and temperature and maybe see something close to hotel.

Now I'm looking at waaaay more choices. I looked at the sight for the Arizona Grand Resort - with the Oasis waterpark. It looks nice online anyone know anything else bout it?
Tammy

If you are just going to be in Phoenix for 24 hours and don't want to rent a car, I would stay at the Arizona Grand Resort. There will be enough to keep you occupied and cool until you leave town. There isn't anything close to any of the airport hotels and it's not an area I would walk around in at night. Check to see if the Arizona Grand has a shuttle to/from the airport. If not, its not that far of a cab ride. There are so many great resorts in the Scottsdale area, lots of shopping and great restaurants but you would really need a car to do much of anything here. Have fun while you are here!

I might suggest the Hyatt Place hotel. It has a shuttle 6am-11pm and will take you anywhere in a 5-mile radius. That would include the Zoo, the botanical gardens (pick one and go early in the morning unless you are good with heat), downtown Tempe (there's a little water playground at Tempe Beach Park--depending on how old the kids are), or Tempe Marketplace.

http://phoenixairport.place.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/index.jsp
http://www.phoenixzoo.org/
http://www.dbg.org/
http://www.tempe.gov/lake/recreation/splashplayground.htm
http://www.tempe.gov/lake/
http://www.downtowntempe.com/
http://www.tempemarketplace.com/

No one should ever plan any trip without checking the Disboards 1st!

debab723-we are looking into the Grand, thnaks!
Calliaz- thanks for the advice and for the websites! A hotel with a shuttle that would take us somewhere is a great idea!
Tammy

If you do stay at the Arizona Grand Resort, check out Rustlers Rooste. It is a western steakhouse restaurant on their grounds that has a slide that you can take to the dining floor (or stairs for us oldsters). The slide is so unique, my kids love it.

Remember to request a room near the waterpark and away from the freeway. We did stay there years ago before we lived here (and before they had the waterpark). We got there late at night and they put us in a room right near the very noisy freeway. We changed rooms the next day to one of the buildings near where the waterpark is now and it was so much nicer.

I would stay at the Arizona Biltmore. It's a very nice resort with a pool and waterslide. It's also next door to Biltmore Fashion Park, which is a
swanky-ish (as far as Phoenix goes) outdoor shopping mall. They have great restaurants too. Since you have limited time, I recommend this. It's close to the airport, you will see some of the nice desert landscape and the family will enjoy it.

What I would not do is go to downtown Phoenix. You said you wanted to try something different than the big city. Downtown Phoenix in the middle of August is worse than just a big city. The heat is unbearable. Papago Park is nice if you want to see the botanical gardens or the rocks (and if you were not going to Sedona and Grand Canyon). Nuff said there. Don't bother with the zoo either. I'm sure you have seen better.

Most importantly, consider the heat when you are making your plans. To an out-of-towner, the Arizona heat can be miserable. That's why the rooms are cheaper this time of year. It is the slow season. But you will love Sedona and the Grand Canyon. The weather should be much more enjoyable. Still hot, just not as bad as Phoenix.

Your coming in August? I would stay at a hotel with a great pool area. The Pointe South Mountain has a waterpark and offers shuttle service to/from the airport. Also the Mission Palms in downtown Tempe is near the airport with many restaurants, shopping, hiking, lake nearby. They have a pool and offer shuttle service. Bring lots of sunscreen!!

Thank you everyone for ll the great information and suggestions. This was jut what I needed to know.
So what we have decides to do is stay at the Arizonza Grand Resort (the former Pointe South Mountain Resort if I'm not mistaken).
Here is why: We arrive at the airport about 11:30 AM. By the time we get settled into a hotel and are able to go out and explore it will be early afternoon, brutal hot. So it seems like the zoo or botanical gardens or even a hike would not be the best idea. Getting off a 5+ hour flight and taking the kids shopping - no matter how great the shops- would also probably not work well for us. So we decided, it will be hot, we will be tired from traveling, and we will be spending the next week doing lots of touring with ABD. The nice hotel with the water park seemed the best idea. Also we have to be back at the airport to meet the group before noon the next day.
So there we have it. I appreciate all the info everyone took the time to give. It all helped with my choice.
Thanks again!
Tammy

Just wanted to come back and say we LOVED the Arizona Grand Resort. It was perfect for our stay. We even wished we had a few more days to spend there. It was very relaxing, kids loved the water park, good choices for dining options, great service, friendly staff... It was about 10 minutes from the airport, but we never felt like we were in the middle of the city.
Kids kept telling me it reminded them of a Disney Resort - I kept telling them - of course this is the REAL southwest. My DH even said he would like to go back there. So anyone - especially families - need a hotle near the Phoenix Airport - we highly reccomend the Arizonz Grand.
Thanks to all who mentioned it here!

Tammy

Climb Camelback Mountain while you're there. Should give you something to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter