Need Help With Hearing at Disney

robin09

DIS Veteran
HI, I don't know if I'm doing this correctly. I certainly hope so! I originally came to the boards for help with my duaghter as she as Aspergers, OCD and ADHD, along with food coloring allergies.

As I'm reading the boards, I'm fascinated with all of you that have hearing problems. I NEVER realized Disney had help for those that are hard of hearing, or cannot hear at all.

I wear 2 hearing aides and cannot hear very well without them (80%) loss. Can anyone give me any tips how to deal with Disney with hearing aides? I was originally planning on not wearing them and depending on DH to clue me in on what was being said. I'm petrified of them getting wet and no longer working. I don't have money to buy another set. I just bought these last months, as my others totally died!

I read that there was some places that have signals if an alarm is set... flashing light or something? Can someone tell me about that? Captioning on tv in the room? Geez, I can't watch tv without that.. I didn't even give that a thought... I am going to disney on the 21st of august.. yes 2 weeks left! So excited, but yet nervous at the same time.....

Thankyou all for being here and discussing such things!

Robin

Robin first question is do you use sign language at all? Second question is does your hearing aid have a T-coil? I will PM with the contact person at Disney for Deaf and Hard of Hearing. There are various methods in the parks for accessing the language.
Assistive listening devices, closed captioning, refective captioning, handheld captioning, intepreting and scripts. I normally do not wear my hearing aids in the parks but if I do take them I use a Tupperware midget for each one with a desiccant pack and then put them in a smal ziplock bag and in my back pack or bag.

Assistive listening devices - receiver with headphones, standard jack so you can bring your own head phones is like me the is only one type you can tolerate. Amplifies everything which for me doesn't help as the speech is still difficult to understand

Closed Captioning - pick up a remote with a $25 deposit fully refunded when you return them to guest services

Refective Captioning - A plexiglass screen one which words are beamed from the rear of the theater. You look through the plexiglass and can read the words while seeing the show. Ask at the attraction.

Handheld captioning - a box like device the scrolls the script as you ride through the ride. $100 deposit fully refundable when you return it to guest services. Sometimes out of sync with the dialog so may be better if you don't use your hearing aids

Interpreting - certain live shows and rides are interpreted on a scheduled basis by sign language interpreters. Magic Kingdom M and Th, Epcot Tu and Fr, MGM W and Su, Animal Kingdom Sat

Id you want the information sheet Disney sends me I can see if I can find it and email it to you or post it.

You can request an ADA kit for the deaf and hard of hearing to be placed in your room at any of the hotels. Pop Century actually has a few rooms set up this way but not if you also need wheelchair accessible. They will set up the kit in a wheelchair accessible room.
Most cast members in stores and restaurants have pad and pencil if needed to communicate, a number can sign. Look for nametags with the sign letters SL under them.

robin09 said:
I read that there was some places that have signals if an alarm is set... flashing light or something? Can someone tell me about that? Captioning on tv in the room? Geez, I can't watch tv without that.. I didn't even give that a thought... I am going to disney on the 21st of august.. yes 2 weeks left! So excited, but yet nervous at the same time.....

Thankyou all for being here and discussing such things!

Robin
We had one of the rooms that was permanently set up for the hearing disabled. There were kind of piercing white lights (very bright) that would flash for the fire alarm. We noticed them when someone rang our doorbell (we didn't evven know we had a doorbell until the lights started flashing).

ALL of the TVs in all of the rooms have closed captioning built in. It's very easy to use, you don't have to turn anything on or off. As you go thru the channels on the TV, you'll see all the non-captioned channels. If you keep goin up channels, you'll find the same channels duplicated with captioning. The channel line-up/directory sheet in the room lists the numbers.

Talking Hands said:
Robin first question is do you use sign language at all? Second question is does your hearing aid have a T-coil? I will PM with the contact person at Disney for Deaf and Hard of Hearing. There are various methods in the parks for accessing the language.
Assistive listening devices, closed captioning, refective captioning, handheld captioning, intepreting and scripts. I normally do not wear my hearing aids in the parks but if I do take them I use a Tupperware midget for each one with a desiccant pack and then put them in a smal ziplock bag and in my back pack or bag.

Assistive listening devices - receiver with headphones, standard jack so you can bring your own head phones is like me the is only one type you can tolerate. Amplifies everything which for me doesn't help as the speech is still difficult to understand

Closed Captioning - pick up a remote with a $25 deposit fully refunded when you return them to guest services

Refective Captioning - A plexiglass screen one which words are beamed from the rear of the theater. You look through the plexiglass and can read the words while seeing the show. Ask at the attraction.

Handheld captioning - a box like device the scrolls the script as you ride through the ride. $100 deposit fully refundable when you return it to guest services. Sometimes out of sync with the dialog so may be better if you don't use your hearing aids

Id you want the information sheet Disney sends me I can see if I can find it and email it to you or post it.

Thankyou so much for responding so quickly! I must say, I'm going to appear really stupid at this point. I don't do sign language. For many years, before I got my hearing aides, I read lips, without knowing I was doing it. I've been wearing hearing aides now for 11 years, I have no idea how long I had a hearing loss.

The reflective Captioning sounds wonderful, headphones, I don't think I'd be comfortable with. As you said, amplified sounds don't help, because I still can't make out the words.

Thankyou for your help...

SERVICES FOR GUESTS WITH HEARING DISABILITIES

Welcome to the Happiest Celebration on Earth! The following information highlights services available that may prove useful during your visit.

SIGN LANGUAGE: If requested, the Walt Disney Worldâ Resort provides Sign Language interpretation for our Guests at live Theme Park shows with a minimum of seven days notice. However, interpreted performances are currently available on a rotating basis as follows:

Disney-MGM Studios- Sundays, Wednesdays MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park- Mondays, Thursdays

Epcotâ- Tuesdays, Fridays Disney’s Animal Kingdomâ Theme Park- Saturdays

This service can be requested by calling Walt Disney Worldâ Resort Information at (407) 824-4321 [voice] or

(407) 827-5141 [TTY]. You will be contacted prior to your visit with an appropriate show schedule. Arrangements can also be requested for other events and shows with a minimum of two weeks notice. There is no cost for this service.

If necessary, please check with Guest Relations to obtain further information and the best location to view or wait for interpreted performances. Guest Relations can also provide updated performance schedules as well as equipment such as Assistive Listening Devices, Handheld Captioning receivers, and remote control Activators for Video Captioning.

CAPTIONING (NOTE: Not all parts of an attraction experience may be captioned)

Reflective Captioning

This technology utilizes an LED display to project captions onto an acrylic panelplaced in front of you. To use this system, please contact a host or hostess at the attraction for assistance. Reflective Captioning is available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Frontierland-Country Bear Jamboree

Liberty Square-The Hall of Presidents

Fantasyland-Mickey’s PhilharMagic

Tomorrowland-The Timekeeper (seasonal)

Disney-MGM Studios:

The Magic of Disney Animation (theater only)

Voyage of The Little Mermaid

Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream (theater only)

MuppetVision 3-D

Fantasmic!

Epcotâ:

The Living Seas-Theater

The Land-“The Circle of Life”

Imagination!-“Honey, I Shrunk the Audience”

Wonders of Life (2)-Cranium Command & “The Making of Me”

(seasonal)

Canada-“O Canada!”

France-“Impressions de France”

The American Adventure-The American Adventure

China-“Reflections of China”

Norway-Maelstrom (theater only)

Disney’s Animal Kingdomâ Theme Park:

Discovery Islandä-“It’s Tough to be a Bugâ”

Video Captioning

Caption-ready monitors have a “CC” symbol and can only be activated by remote control. These remote control Activators are available through Guest Relations and require a $25 refundable deposit (must return item on the same day for refund). Handheld Captioning receivers also contain an Activator. Video Captioning is available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Mickey’s Toontown Fair-Judge’s Tent

Tomorrowland (3)-Stitch’s Great Escape (pre-show), The Timekeeper (pre-show) (seasonal) & Walt Disney’sCarousel of Progress (pre-show) (seasonal)

Disney-MGM Studios:

“The Twilight Zone Tower of Terrorä” (pre-show)

Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage (queue)

Studios Backlot Tour (queue and warehouse)

Star Tours (boarding area)

MuppetVision 3-D (pre-show)

Epcotâ:

The Living Seas-Sea Base Alpha (selected locations)

The Land-Soarin’ (pre-show)

Wonders of Life (3)-Body Wars (pre-show), Frontiers Exhibit

Area & Coaches’ Corner (all seasonal)

Mission: SPACE-Mission: SPACE attraction

Test Track (2)-Briefing Room pre-show & Dreamchaser post-show

DinoLand U.S.A.â-DINOSAUR (pre-show)

Rafiki’s Planet Watch-Conservation Stationâ:Look-In Labs

Africa-Kilimanjaro Safarisâ (queue)

WALT DISNEY WORLDâ RESORT-SERVICES FOR GUESTS WITH HEARING DISABILITIES, p2.

Handheld Captioning

This portable captioning system uses a wireless handheld receiver to display text in locations where fixed captioning systems are impractical, such as moving attractions. Receivers are available through Guest Relations and require a $100 refundable deposit (must return item on the same day for refund). Handheld Captioning is currently available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Walt Disney Worldâ Railroad

Adventureland (3)-Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, &

The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management

Liberty Square-The Haunted Mansion

Fantasyland (5)-Cinderellabration, Peter Pan’s Flight, Snow White’s Scary Adventures, “it’s a small world”, & The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Tomorrowland (4)-Stitch’s Great Escape, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, & Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin

Camp Minnie-Mickey (2)-Festival of the Lion King, &

Pocahontas & Her Forest Friends

DinoLand U.S.A.â-Tarzan Rocks!

Rafiki’s Planet Watch-Rafiki’s Planet Watch presentation

Africa-Kilimanjaro Safarisâ

Epcotâ:

Spaceship Earth-Spaceship Earth ride

Universe of Energy-Ellen’s Energy Adventure

Wonders of Life (2)-Cranium Command (seasonal) &

Goofy About Health (seasonal)

The Land-Living with the Land

Imagination!-Journey Into Your Imagination With Figment

Norway-Maelstrom (ride portion only)

Mexico-El Rio del Tiempo

Disney-MGM Studios:

Beauty & the Beast-Live on Stage

The Great Movie Ride (ride portion only)

Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage

Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream

Sounds Dangerous-Starring Drew Carey

Studios Backlot Tour

ASSISTIVE LISTENING DEVICES: Assistive Listening Systems utilize a lightweight wireless device that receives an infrared signal (an invisible beam of light) from overhead transmitters at certain locations in order to amplify sound. Receivers are available at the Guest Relations lobby. A $25 refundable deposit is required (must return item on the same day for refund). Assistive Listening Systems are available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Adventureland (2)- Jungle Cruise & The Enchanted Tiki Room

Under New Management

Frontierland-Country Bear Jamboree

Liberty Square-The Hall of Presidents

Fantasyland (2)-Cinderellabration & Mickey’s PhilharMagic

Mickey’s Toontown Fair-Judge’s Tent

Tomorrowland (4)-Sunny Eclipse at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café,

The Timekeeper (seasonal), Walt Disney’s Carousel of

Progress (seasonal), & Galaxy Palace Theater (seasonal)

Disney-MGM Studios:

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show

Beauty & the Beast-Live on Stage

Fantasmic!

Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage

Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream (theater only)

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-Play It!

MuppetVision 3-D

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant

Indiana Jonesä Epic Stunt Spectacular!

Sounds Dangerous-Starring Drew Carey

Epcotâ:

Universe of Energy-“Ellen’s Energy Adventure”

Wonders of Life (3)-Cranium Command, “The Making of Me”, &

Goofy About Health (all seasonal)

Test Track (pre-show)

The Living Seas-Theater & selected exhibits

The Land-“The Circle of Life”

Imagination!-“Honey, I Shrunk the Audience”

The American Adventure (2)-The American Adventure &

America Gardens Theatre

Germany-Biergarten

China-“Reflections of China”

Norway-Maelstrom (theater only)

Innoventions (East & West)-certain attractions

France-“Impressions de France”

Canada-“O Canada!”

Discovery Islandä-“It’s Tough to be a Bug!â”

Camp Minnie-Mickey (2)-Festival of the Lion King &

Pocahontas & Her Forest Friends

DinoLand U.S.A.â (2)-DINOSAUR (pre-show) & Tarzan Rocks!

Asia (2)-Flights of Wonder & Kali River Rapids (pre-show)

Rafiki’s Planet Watch-Conservation Stationâ (certain attractions)

Africa-Kilimanjaro Safarisâ

WRITTEN AIDS: Guest Assistance Packets containing dialogue, flashlights, and pen/paper are available at or near the performance areas or entrances for most shows and attractions. Please contact a host or hostess at the location for assistance.

TELEPHONES: Pay telephones equipped with amplified handsets as well as Text Typewriters (TTYs) are widely available throughout the Walt Disney Worldâ Resort.

INFORMATION: To obtain further information about available services for Guests with disabilities, visit the Walt Disney Worldâ Resortwebsite at www.disneyworld.com or contact Walt Disney Worldâ ResortInformation at (407) 824-4321 [voice] or (407) 827-5141 [TTY].

REVISED 5/05

Sue you might want to clip this last post as a sticky or if you want I can do it in a separate post or eemail it to you.

Talking Hands said:
Sue you might want to clip this last post as a sticky or if you want I can do it in a separate post or eemail it to you.
Thanks. I can clip it.
I hope to have my DD's new PCAs starting soon and once school starts I can work on some stickies.

The reflective captioning is wonderful!! DH is hard of hearing, and used it at the 3D movies, we had some prior knowledge, which helped... look at the back of a theatre, when you see a box with red (hard to describe, its not a neon sign, but close) lights, the theatre is set up for reflective captioning, and you need to ask for the mirror to receive the captions, and be in a postion to capture the image...

useful links:

Here's one useful link here at the Dis>>

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disabhearing.htm

Here's a pic of the Assitive Listening Device >>
http://allearsnet.com/pl/listen.htm

and of the hand held device>>
http://allearsnet.com/pl/handheld.htm

From the links from the front page ...
http://allearsnet.com/pl/special.htm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter