Need help with park recommendations

bimmertt

Earning My Ears
Hi all, we’ll be taking our very first trip to Disneyland November 15-18 and wanted to see if there are certain park recommendations based on the days we’re staying. We’ll be arriving around noon on the 15th and will have full days the 16-18th. Which parks would you recommend on which days? Or does it really not matter? We have two kiddos, one 6 year old and one 20 month old.

I think you will see a fair number of responses of saying to start at DL for the half day and the next full day. Reason is because this is where it all started with Walt. There is nothing better than starting out your visit by walking down Main Street and soaking it all in. You can do CA in a day and that leaves you the last day to park hop if you missed anything.

I will leave you with this. The DIS members will have a ton of great advice. Take in all the comments and then decide what works best for you and your family, especially since you have little ones. I liken this to when we had our first daughter 24 yrs ago, we read all the parenting books and eventually tossed them once we realized we need to do what works for us.

And if you feel you missed something it gives you a great excuse to start planning your next DL trip. Cheers!

There are two parks (DCA and DL) and most people don't dedicate an entire day to DCA unless their group really wants to ride Incredicoaster, Grizzly River Run, Ariel, or spend a significant amount of time at the Marvel section or in Cars Land.

My recommendation is to do park hoppers and Genie+. I'd start my first day at DL, my second at DCA, and my third at DL.

It's pretty nice to have DCA as a backup if DL gets too busy for the Thanksgiving week or if you just need some space.

Hi all, we’ll be taking our very first trip to Disneyland November 15-18 and wanted to see if there are certain park recommendations based on the days we’re staying. We’ll be arriving around noon on the 15th and will have full days the 16-18th. Which parks would you recommend on which days? Or does it really not matter? We have two kiddos, one 6 year old and one 20 month old.
When I take someone for a first time trip, I like to enter Disneyland after the sun goes down. Everything is so spectacular at night. Especially the castle as you look down Main St past all the shops. The lights and Christmas decorations will be in full swing for your trip.
Sunset for Nov 15th is 4:48pm

In CarsLand the street and shop lights begin to cycle on with the Sham Boom about sunset. We like to grab a snack and get a seat on a bench to have a view up and down the street. One of the CM might be able to give you an idea of what time.

Have fun

We have two kiddos, one 6 year old and one 20 month old.
With a six year old, I would plan on taking your time to allow for meeting the characters.

If your 20 mo takes a nap mid day, your 6 year old might have fun exploring Tom Sawyers Island (DLR) or Redwood Creek (DCA).

Both parks have baby care centers. They have clean diaper changing tables, toilets for little ones, high chairs, microwaves, etc. They are nice respites for families with young children. At Disneyland, it is located at the end of Main Street, next to the red hot dog cart and the store with Christmas ornaments. In California Adventure, it is located adjacent to the Ghirardelli store.

Last edited:
When I take someone for a first time trip, I like to enter Disneyland after the sun goes down. Everything is so spectacular at night. Especially the castle as you look down Main St past all the shops. The lights and Christmas decorations will be in full swing for your trip.
Hmmm, interesting idea, but since they're arriving midday, I think they should go to Disneyland right away. They definitely need to stay there past dark or come back after dinner. They really need to see the Small World building after dark when it's decorated for the holidays! And, as you say, Sleeping Beauty Castle.

In CarsLand the street and shop lights begin to cycle on with the Sham Boom about sunset. We like to grab a snack and get a seat on a bench to have a view up and down the street. One of the CM might be able to give you an idea of what time.
Also, Radiator Springs Racers at night! A must-do.

Depending on a number of factors, riding Radiator Springs Racers at night might not be possible. It is something worth experiencing if at all possible. If that is not possible based on any number of issues/reasons, seeing CarsLand at night with all of the lights on (even if they miss the Sh-Boom moment) is an absolute must.

This is so helpful! I’m assuming weekdays are less busy than weekends. Based on the comments I definitely want to do DL on the Wednesday when we arrive. Would you all recommend doing DCA the next day on Thursday just so we get a chance to see both parks when they are less busy? I’m assuming Friday will be busy like Saturday and Sunday but I could be wrong.

I would definitely start at Disneyland. Nothing like starting your trip with a walk down Main Street. A half day is a nice way to ease into the park. Your kids will really enjoy Fantasyland and Toontown especially, based on their ages. I'd get park hoppers if you can. Crowds should be ok for all of your days, maybe a slight uptick on the weekend, but nothing crazy. Have fun!

ps..Yes, if you don't do hoppers, it would be good to see DCA the next day. I don't think you'll be dealing with terrible crowds on the weekend, though, especially if you rope drop. You can get SO much done in those first few hours.

Honestly if you have 3 full days in the parks the 16-18 then I wouldn't worry about getting in there on the 15th. I never do more than 3 park days in a row without taking a break day.

Also my best tip is to be there for rope drop every morning, ride as many things as you can until an early lunch time (around 11 am), and then soak up ambiance or see shows for another hour or two. Head back to the hotel in the early afternoon for 2-3 hours and take naps (I guess the timing depends on your kids' existing nap schedules in your case.) The parks are at their most crowded and hottest in the early afternoon. Seriously, you're not missing ANYTHING. Come back to the parks around 5-6 pm for dinner and enjoy lower crowds and shorter waits. Stay up as late as you can. Hopefully your kids can make it to the Christmas fireworks (I forget the name lol) in Disneyland and also to World of Color over in Disney California Adventure!) The lines will be SO much shorter after the fireworks, but it will be 10 pm by that point. You may want to just head back to the hotel. Your choice!

We are there the exact same dates! Partial day 15th, then full days 16th- 18th!
We are going to go into Disneyland on the 15th, with no rush, no plans, just to take in the fact we are really there. Then starting DL 16th, DCA 17th and DL 18th, we do have parkhoppers.

I don't know how it will be given it is holiday time, but from what I have seen from vloggers the weekdays have actually been just as busy, if not busier than the weekends, due to the combination of pricing differences (for single day tickets) and passholder blockouts. Trend for a while has been Sunday is quietest and Monday is busiest!
Obviously I have no idea if that will hold for the holiday season, and I have no personal experience of it, just what others have reported.
Hope you have an awesome time!

The kids being too short to ride, people (especially the little kids) being too tired/not being able to stay up late enough, the line being too long, the family not being able to afford a LL.
All of those issues could arise during the day, too—including, by late afternoon, the kids being tired.

Bimmertt, do try to do Radiator Springs Racers both in the daytime and at night. It's a great ride in both environments!

We are there the exact same dates! Partial day 15th, then full days 16th- 18th!
We are going to go into Disneyland on the 15th, with no rush, no plans, just to take in the fact we are really there. Then starting DL 16th, DCA 17th and DL 18th, we do have parkhoppers.

I don't know how it will be given it is holiday time, but from what I have seen from vloggers the weekdays have actually been just as busy, if not busier than the weekends, due to the combination of pricing differences (for single day tickets) and passholder blockouts. Trend for a while has been Sunday is quietest and Monday is busiest!
Obviously I have no idea if that will hold for the holiday season, and I have no personal experience of it, just what others have reported.
Hope you have an awesome time!
Haha what a coincidence that we have the same dates! I feel like I’m doing all this planning and things could be completely different when we get there. We have park hoppers as well so that will give us some flexibility. Hope you have a fantastic time as well!

We were in DCA this morning. I took a picture of where the child services are located. Like I mentioned, they have clean changing tables, high chairs, nursing rooms, etc. The cast members who work there are amazing!

1694990460948.png 1694991631063.png

Painted on the wall outside is a new "Grow with Baymax" height chart.

1694990553639.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter