• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need HRH info - it's my first time!

jabrown40

Mouseketeer
Planning a trip August 2002 - 6 nights in Disney BC, then 2 nights with my 2 sons, ages 16 and 14. Planning to stay at HRH 2 nights after BC. I visited the Loew's site, looks great to me. I'm looking for any info - where is the best area to ask for - not necessarily a specific room, just a general area that's a good location. Also, where would you suggest to eat for breakfast and dinner - we usually eat only 2 meals a day, snack in between. I noticed a lot of people like Mythos - where is it? Also, can you walk back and forth from the hotel to the parks and over to the Portofino? Appreciate any advice.

The HRH is very big and if you get a room at the end of the hall way it can be a long walk from the elevator to your room. However the end of the hall is very quiet. We had a deluxe room/garden view and had a nice view of the water way. If you want a nice view I would suggest getting the 3rd of higher floor the ground florr for the loby is acutally the second floor (the first floor is ground level to the pooland wings of the building, and below ground level for the main area.
The walk to US is about 10 min, it takes about 5 more to get to IOA and CW is just across the bridge to your left when you come to US.
Mythos is in IOA. It is really the only great resturant in the parks
Finnagan's (sp?) in US is good if you like Irish/English pub food. I discovered there that i like parsnips, I had never had them before. CW is an easy walk from the parks if you want to eat there. We ate in CW every evening excpt the night we ate at the Palm in HRH. We enjoyed the Palm but it is pricey. I wouldn't say it is a must but it was good. You can walk to PFB I think it is about a 10-15 min walk. We had planned to go over there one day and never made it other than riding the water taxi by there.

It's a very easy walk to the parks. Go out the gate to the right of the water slide and you're almost there.
We LOVED Mythos. It's in Island Of Adventure in the Lost Continent. Your children would probably like the Hard Rock Cafe.
We also really like the Latin Quarter in City Walk. There are a LOT of restaurants in City Walk. If you are a AAA member, bring your card. All the restaurants offer a 10% AAA discount.

We had breakfast in the Sunset Grill which was pricey ($13 for a cooked buffet) but excellent. Most nights we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe which we thought was brilliant for both the food and atmosphere.
We tried the Palm one night but wouldn't recommend it - the steaks were great but it was very expensive and the atmosphere was very stuffy.
As far as rooms go , we had a garden view on the 5th floor near the lifts and were very happy with it. Try and get as close to the lifts as you can and you should be okay.
The parks are 5 minutes away so we generally wandered back for an hour at the pool around lunchtime.

Hope this helps. Have a good time!.

If you want to eat breakfast at the Sunset Grill, eat the continental buffet. It's $7.95 and the spread is huge! You're probably going to pay aorund $8 for breakfast at the parks, so you might as well eat at the buffet for maximum shovelage! :)

Our experience last August suggests to me that you may find that two nights is too brief for Universal, even if you stay on-site.

We did two nights at Universal in August. It was supposed to be four nights but a dental emergency for my daughter turned the first week of our vacation into chaos (but that is a different story). After Universal, we did seven nights at WL, as scheduled. I can say with certainty that next time Universal will get a larger share of our time. The child we brought is only seven (our daughter). With two teenage boys, you may want to give Universal some more time. (Our other three children, now grown, were boys. I suspect that when they were teens, Unversal would have been a big favorite over WDW.)

At WDW, we loved the WL and we used FastPass a lot and got most of WDW done using a "back to the resort for mid-day breaks" stragegy. But nothing is as good as the Universal FOTL for on-site guests. In hindsight, we figured out that the room key lets you do the park in any order you like, because the lines and crowds become irrelevant. In essence, you can just circle the park. With this in mind, it suggests using the "second part" of each day to do other things and use the mornings to best effect in the two Universal parks.

Noitce, I did not get into a discussion of which parks are "better", whatever that means. We found that both Universal and WDW give you value and a terrific experience. But there are differences and there are numerous discussions of that on these Boards. We found IOA's attractions more keyed to older kids (note for those two boys) and USF is much bigger geographically than MGM.

As for walking from the HRH to the parks, the marked path is to the right of the pool slide. HOWEVER, there is a gate at the left end of the hotel (as you look at the pool) and that leads to a path that goes straight along the canal (which the launches travel in). Indeed, the hotel has interior stairways that end at this path, too, so that can shorten the interior walk, also.

We walked when the launch was not visible at the CW dock and rode the launch when it was there. Both are pretty and easy.

As for breakfast, both IOA and USF have quick stop table service type resaurants for breakfast just inside the gates. Both have the usual croissant sandwich breakfasts or cereals and several mega-carolie pastries. The one in USF is to the right on the main street as you enter and the one in IOA is in the Port of Entry area, also on the right. (Sorry, the names escape me.) Since both parks have early entry days for on-site guests, we used these days and the two restaurants I just described for breakfasts.

For dinner, Mythos was great and I recommend it. The Sunset Grill was fine but nothing to seek out. I have eaten at six or seven different sites of The Palm (include the two in NYC) but not the one at HRH. Generally, the Palm's food is great, the portions are large and the prices are high. It is a "power meal" environment.

By way of a tangential suggestion (if you are concerned that the boys won't become fixated by the two Universal parks), consider more time at Universal and a car rental. That would allow for splitting days and doing Sea World (or GatorLand--a campy place that might amuse your boys) after a mid-day break from the Universal parks. Also, it permits you to find other places for dinner, off-site. (Check the UG's off-site recommendations, along with those on the DIS).

Have fun next August.

Wow, what a great response! Thanks for all of your help; I should have mentioned that we have been to US before, and Sea World. The boys do not want to go back to Sea World. We're also going in August, so I am expecting a lot of water time! I have one more quetion for City Kid - Is the Palm in the HRH part of the same chain then like that in LA? I noticed on the reward board for Milesource that one can save up points for a gift certificate to The Palm. It was not indicated if this was the same. Thanks!

jabrown40,
Yes, the Palm is part of the chain of restaurants.

All I know is that the logo at HRH is identical to the logo at the other restaurants. SInce we didn't go in I can't be certain. But it would be very unliekly that the name and the logo could be used without it being THE Palm. (And I do remember the one on Miami Beach very fondly:-) )

My Party consists of My Mum (60yo), Twin Girls (7yo) and Myself (36yo) and stayed at All-Star Sports (10 nights), HRH (8 nights) and the Quality Inn on I-Drive (5 nights). I should note that our stay at the HRH was orginally for 5 nights but we had to extend another 3 days after the Tragedy in New York. Eventually, even with the reduced room rates, we had leave the HRH so my comments are not only based on our orginal planned time there but also my money-saving manoevours to tide us over before our return to New Zealand. We were there from 9/6 to 9/14.

Check-in: We had booked long in advance. We asked for a Garden view and was placed on the 6th floor on a corridor leading on from the elevators. Garden view was fine for our stay as it looked directly onto the water taxi jetty so we could time our trips over to Citywalk. I didn't think Pool view is that much of an upgrade but it depends on what the other possible "Garden views" were (Car Park, Backside of Uinversal Studios etc). I was happy with our Garden view. In the future, I would ask for close to elevators, Garden view. This almost guarantees the view overlooking the water taxi port as there is only one set of elevators in the HRH.

Meals: Initially, we started off having Breakfast at the Sunset Grill. It was very comfortable way to start the day and its a courtyards walk from the Water taxi and Shuttle Bus Stops. The Staff is friendly, courteous and very patient. Initially, we had plated meals such as pancakes and cereal but I found the portions were too much for our 7yo Twins so I ended up ordering 1 meal between the two of them. I found that Portions are a lot bigger in the US than they are in New Zealand, which is as good as it is bad because it meant we would often left half-finished meals behind. In the end, we (the Adults) opted for continental breakfasts ($13.95 not 7.95 as stated in a previous post). After the tragedy however, in a effort to save a little money and having the luxury of a rental car, we went off-site to IHOP and Perkins on I-Drive where a child ate free with a paying adult. Overall, I found Sunset Grill to be satisfactory for our needs and we dined there often for Breakfast and Dinner over our 5 initlal days. Unfortunately, we never visited the Palm Restaurant but I will definitely try it next time.

As you know, you can easily walk from the HRH to both Universal Studios and IOA however we opted for the Water Taxi everytime. Because of our view, we could always time our arrival at the jetty!

Meals in the Parks: In IOA, I definitely recommend Mythos. We had Lunch there and it was superb! We were seated overlooking the Lagoon and the Girls were mesmerized watching the Hulk launch over and over again. The other place I would recommend is the Confisco Cafe in Ports of Entry. A very simple cafe type atmosphere with equally simple but enjoyable fare.
At USF, We had a very good Lunch at Lombards Landing. The Chicken Pasta was great. Mum had the Filet Mignon and the Girls had Chicken strips. All was well recieved and devoured with ease. Thumbs up to them. For Counter service, try Mels Diner for a Burger and Shake.
At Citywalk, we dined at Latin Quarter for Dinner. Dinner was coupled with a Dance show which was very energetic and loved by the Twins. We have no Latin Restaurants in New Zealand so the chance to try their unique foods was welcomed and enjoyed emmensely. I personally love spice food anyway. This was a bonus for me. We also had buffet Lunch at Motown Cafe. My Mum, being a Motown fan from way back, just fell in love with the Memorabilia and ending up giving an impromptu tour to my Nieces even though it was her first time there. Foodwise, it was standard fare and featured some food from the South. We enjoyed our Meal but it was the history/environment that really made for us. For my Mum definitely.

Hope this helps.

With two teenaged boys and yourself you will probably want three beds. We stayed in room 2101 which was a super deluxe room ($149 ent. rate). It had two queens and a full pull out and a table with four chairs. That should give you lots of room to keep out of each other's way. It was a garden view with a nice view of the waterway and taxi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter