Need ID for under 3 year old???

KH1

Earning My Ears
Do I need to bring some sort of ID for my kid? She will be 1 month short of turning 3 during our visit! Will they check at the gates? Thank you!!!

I wrote Guest Services about this exact same question 3 days ago. My son turns 3 in November and is already 40+ inches. We went at the same time 2 years ago with our then almost 3 daughter and we got some smirks and clearly disbelieving looks but no one ever asked for proof. But back to 3 days ago they responded that their policy is generally not to request ID but if I felt more comfortable I could bring a photocopy of their ID. The only time we got the looks was for the fast pass plus.

I've been to Disney a bunch of times and never been asked for ID.

We took our son for his third birthday. He turn three 2 days into the trip and we had no issues.

Since I have a tall kid, I know that we get unbelieving looks ALL the time. He's 12 now and people think he's 15. He confused other kids when he was 2 b/c he looked 4, and 4 year olds would come up to talk to him and, well, he was 2. And a not-very-verbal 2.

Yes, some people find it "unbelievable" that kids can be so tall.

Doesn't mean they don't *believe* you.

I already had his BC with us on our first Disneyland trip b/c he was (horrible decision) a lap baby at 17 months old, but we were never asked for it. He was tall, but he was 1. And the next year (thankfully having aged out of the temptation to do the lap baby thing again) he was a tall 2, but he was very obviously 2.

It is the honor system. Most people won't pay attention to what you are doing and if they are and smirking or whatever ignore them. I had a tall kid too. Disney won't give you any problems.

We went about a week before my daughter turned three. They asked her how old she was a couple of times at the gate, and everytime we were dining because she was sharing our plates. She sweetly held up her two fingers and that seemed sufficient for all who inquired. I did travel with a copy of her birth certificate, but never used it.

Most states offer a photo ID where you'd get a driver's license. My son needed the ID to get a handicap placard for our car. So now he has photo ID. It was great for flying. Just showed his and my ID. It's come in handy for AP renewal. And so many other instances.

We went to Disney when each of my daughters were 2.5. We were never asked for ID. On the first trip, we went with another family who had a 3.5 year old, and my 2.5 year old was taller. We were never asked for proof, even at character meals, when we (truthfully) told them that the shorter kid is 3.5 and the taller kid is 2.5.

I have been a couple times when my kids were under 3 or turned three while we were on vacation. If they are under 3 or they turn three while on vacation they are FREE. If they turn 3 before the start of the vacation they have to pay.

I wouldn't be offended at all if I had to provide proof of age for a child that I was trying to bring into the park for FREE. I am sure alot of people try and cheat the system and I can't stand dishonest people.

No. A birth certificate isn't a good form of ID anyway - how would you prove that it belongs to your son? Any form of ID without a photo is useless on it's own.

I agree, however A birth certificate along with parents (who are listed on birth cert) photo ID's would be quite convincing though.

When dd2 turned three a month before our trip, I had a hard time convincing people she was three. I was stopped most days at the gate saying I didn't need a ticket for her. I had at least one waitress tell me she was under three so free (I did correct them and have them deduct a kids table service from our dining plan).
Dd was very small for her age and very delayed.

I agree, however A birth certificate along with parents (who are listed on birth cert) photo ID's would be quite convincing though.

Not really. Maybe you left the two year old at home and the kid that's with you is a year or so older.

But it's really a moot point. They can't ask for ID anyway. Someone can carry a copy of the birth certificate if they want, but it's completely unnecessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter