Need ideas for making Christmas Cards

katmcd

Earning My Ears
Help! Every year I make our Christmas cards. This year we will be at WDW the first week of December. We are also going to MVMCP. I am hoping to use a photo of my girls with Mickey for our Christmas card. (Granted, we have to get a picture first!)

I am having a hard time coming up with the design since we have never been to Disney. Being a scrapaholic I thought that someone out there could help me with ideas. My only thoughts so far are in pieces i.e., mickey silhouette punch, shrink art with disney clip art, use Mickey's gloved hands and have them open up...I don't know. I just seem to have pieces of ideas but nothing grabs me. Have you ever made a Disney card? Any suggestions would be grateful!

Katmcd

We went to WDW in early December of 1999. At EPCOT they had Santa and Mrs. Claus outside American Adventure. It was a beautiful set with a sleigh and a Christmas tree. We took our kids pictures with them. We also snapped a darling picture of Mickey and Minnie with the kids. Mickey and Minnie were dressed for Christmas. The photos turned out fantastic.

The Mickey and Minnie photo was so great that we used it for our Christmas card. I had used my digital camera, so I just had it printed at www.shutterfly.com as a card. You can also do this at Walmart or just about any photo shop. They usually can get them done really fast. One of the benefits of using a photo card, is that you don't HAVE to write if you don't have time. In fact, some of the photo places over the net will even print your personal note on the card.

I know this isn't as fun as "making" your card. Still, you'll be gone in early December and I find that I always have trouble getting everything done. If you really want to make a card by hand, I suggest having everything done before the trip so that all you have to do is add the photo. You might check out scrapbooking sites for Disney page layout ideas. Maybe one of them would spark your creativity.

By the way, you'll love WDW in December. It is beautiful and so festive. Try to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Only a limited number of people are allowed in The Magic Kingdom that night. You can ride E-ticket rides and attend the shows. It even "snows" on Main Street! It's wonderful. Have fun!

THANK YOU so much for your reply. Yes, I am planning to have the cards made before hand so that I just have to attach a picture. We just got out MVMCP tickets in the mail on Monday. I can't wait to go. No one in our family has ever been to WDW so, I know it will be awesome, even if it rains everyday!!!

The tips for photo shoots are great. I am thinking about cutting a silhouette of mickey's head so that it opens from his chin and is attached at the top of the ears. I also thought about using his hands so that you have to open the hands and then lift the face. I would love to dry emboss mickey but, haven't quite found what I need. My daughters and I just made a shrink art necklace using Disney clipart images off the web. I even considered using shrink art and attaching it to the card. So many thoughts just nothing that says "That's IT!"

I am going to look at your photos now. Thanks again for responding. I started to think that no one would write.

Katmcd

Just tossing this out from the top of my head --

How about a wreath with mouse ears? Then you could cut out the center of the wreath and show the picture. (I guess the card would be too big by the time you were done.) Or, make the front of the card to look like a gift with a tag that says "From Mickey" or "From WDW" and then when you open the card it's a picture of your kids? You could even go wild on the "gift wrap".

Just some thoughts --

Donna

GREAT IDEAS FergiTcat! I love the wreath idea! A couple of years ago CK or Memory Makers had a contest for wreath pages. The one I remember the most was from a mini bone punch that she must have punched hundreds of in several different colors. She made a wreath frame for her dog. It was so adorable. I think I will try this with the mini mickey punch and see what it looks like.

I have done "packages" the past two years in very different formats, (elegant with snow and last year "brown paper packages tied up with string"), and never thought of doing it again from Mickey. I love it! You have gotten my creative side thinking. Lately I felt so drained of creativity. I would love any other ideas that you come up with.

Thanks
KatMcD

The wrapped package is a good idea. You could make the "gift wrap" with a Mickey head punch. That would be cute!

Another idea would be to make a photo frame. Maybe red/white or red/black. Mickey punches would work for decorating that, too. Visit a scrapbook store or Michaels and see what stickers, punches, etc they have relating to Mickey. Something may help you get an idea.

I just thumbed through my copy of The Big Idea Book of Disney Memories by Creating Keepsakes. Do you scrapbook? This book has some great ideas that might help you get started. The "All Ears" alphabets might be cute to write Merry Christmas, A Disney Christmas, or Happy Holidays.

A Mickey hat with something written on the front might be cute. The hat is easy to make with 2 small circles and part of a larger circle. Maybe on a rectangle of red with big white polka dots?

Or maybe you could circle punch faces to match members of your family and put little hats on all of them. Red and white dot bows would go on the hats of females and plain hats for males. I did a page in my scrapbook where I made my kids as paper dolls and dressed them in Christmas paper. Maybe a little complicated if you are making many cards, but you could do just heads and shoulders, maybe?

Keep in mind that you are visiting during the 100 years of magic celebration. You might want to incorporate something about that into your design.

Need more ideas?

I really like the idea of using red/white polka dots. Two years ago I made a green package card and used red ribbon with white polka dots as the bow. I even punched a hole large enough that a smalll white pom pom could fit through it. Then I tied a "tag" with string and embossed "To" on the tag -- handwriting each families name. It was fun to make! I enjoy stretching my scrapbook tools into making cards.

Yes, I have been scrapbooking for approx. 6 years but, have never purchased the Disney idea book because we had never been. I do plan to purchase it just haven't been able to get to the scrapbook store. Both of my girls (3 and 5) have had mono ALL summer -- UGH!!!! My husband is coming home today while I take one child to the doctor. Maybe we will go to the "sticker store" as my 5-year old calls it so she can get stickers and I can get the Big Idea Book.

Thanks for the advice. Also, thanks for the shutterfly address. I signed up and am looking forward to trying their services. I don't have a digital camera. Hopefully the film processing will be good. My only concern is the imprinting on the back. I have actually had some of those bleed through over the past couple of years. One is from our honeymoon 8 years ago.

KatMcD

I thought of another idea, which sounds complicated to me, but it might be interesting if you can pull it off.

On the front of the card, put Cinderella's Castle, decorated for Christmas. You could put wreaths in the windows, or little Christmas trees in the front. Then when you open it, you could have the picture of your kids.

(If I had the time, had kids, and weren't Jewish, I'd have a field day with this idea!!!)

Donna

Or ...

How about a snowman wearing mouse ears?

Donna (again!)

Donna,

You sure do have great ideas! I hope you do rubber stamping/card making as well as scrapbooking. I thought about doing Cinderella's Castle. The only draw back for me is that I have already done castle invitations that opened for my daughter's birthday. Since this is the first time to visit Disney I thought Mickey would be the best. I love the snowman idea. Yesterday I bought the Big Idea Book of Disney. It is really good. I wanted to buy it when it came out but had no need to at the time. Now that I have it, I can't wait to get to WDW to take pictures!!!!!!!! Any other ideas would be welcome. I also have a gingerbread house stamp that I used a couple of years ago. Maybe I should consider taking a picture of the girls in the Grand Floridian with the gingerbread houses. I don't know, Mickey or mouse ears are still the most appealing. Especially if I can get a good picture on MVMCP night. Thanks again!

Kathy:D

Kathy --

My creativity goes in spurts! I can see the snowman in my head, wearing his mouse ears, his buttons shaped like Mickey Mouse heads, holding a Mickey balloon instead of a broom, maybe?

Glad I could be of service. What fun!

Donna

Donna,

This just gets better and more fun every day! I love the new ideas for the snowman. I taped HGTV's Carol Duvall show today and she made cards that are the card and envelope in one. Really nice!! Some even had 3 fold out pictures attached with ribbon. You can tell that I am thinking about this. Maybe I could use the snowman as the seal on the envelope and when it opens have Mickey as a pop-up with 3 fold outs showing pictures and wishing Happy Holidays. See, this is why I have to start planning so far in advance. Hope you are having a great weekend. You know, you should send some cards for Hanukkah. They have some beautiful rubber stamps out as well as punches. You are so creative I know you would make beautiful cards. Maybe one for each day of Hanukkah with the traditions inside for your children. You could even save them and use them again next year or put them in a scrapbook. Just a thought.

Happy scrappin'
Kathy

Kathy --

I love watching Carol Duvall! When I'm home sick from work, I watch all of those craft shows.

As for the cards, you're right. I will definitely have to give it some thought.

But, I'm glad I could help!

Donna

Donna,

Would you believe that after I logged out the other night I came across an old (1998) Disney catalog and it had a MOUSE SNOWMAN pictured on one of the pages!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Now I am really thinking!! I also looked through my All Night Media catalog because they have Disney rubber stamps (which started this whole card idea). Anyway, they had some beautiful Hanukkah stamps AND the 1998 catalog, (how embarrasing to still have this), had good Hanukkah card ideas. Sometime before December I need to get your snail mail address so I can send you whatever I create -- especially since you have been so much help.

Thanks,
Kathy

Ooooh ... a Mickey snowman. I was thinking more of paper piecing (I am very new to this), a snowman. I am going to try this myself, just for a few close friends. Won't they be impressed!

Look for a private message, I sent you my e-mail address. Just like show-and-tell!!

Donna

I often use coloring book pages as patterns (or even part of an idea) for paper piecing. I have several Disney Christmas coloring books. I know one has Minnie building a snowman with ears. If anyone wants me to scan it or look for anyting else Christmasy, just let me know.

MerryPoppins,

OOOooooo, please, please scan Minnie with the snowman and anything else that you think would work for a card. I like the idea of using a wreath if you have anything like that in a coloring book. Would you believe that I made a special trip to the Dollar Tree because they ALWAYS have Disney coloring books. Today they didn't have a thing except for It's a Bugs Life. Oh well, I should have bought it when I first came across it.

Thanks for your offer to scan and I can't wait to see it.

KatMcD

I think I have 3 of the Christmas books. A lot of the pages are just winter, but something might work. I'll check it out and try to scan anything that might help later.

Hey KatMcD,

I haven't forgotten you. I pulled out the coloring books and looked them over. I even chose some to scan, but the scanner is not working for me. Sigh. I'll have DH look at it this weekend.

Sorry,
Melissa

Don't worry MerryPoppins, I still have plenty of time. I'm just thrilled that you are going to scan them. Thanks again and whenever is fine with me. We will be leaving town tomorrow and will be back on Monday. Have a great weekend.

Katmcd :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter