Need new flatware

I call it silverware, too. It is interesting the different words to describe the same thing. I've heard of cutlery and flatware just don't call it that.

We usually call it silverware in general conversation here, too. There's the everyday silverware that is actually not silver at all and then the good silverware that is coated in silver for special occasions.

We got our last set at Costco....can't remember the brand but it was a good deal on sale and it's a nice set, very well made. We have had to get a set of replacement forks because those seem to disappear somehow. :sad2: Luckily our set it just a simple pattern so we were able to get a somewhat similar looking set of just forks.

I've had people "scold" me for saying silverware when it wasnt actually silver :sad2: ....so now I say flatware too.:laughing:

I rather like restaurant-style flatware. The one I have is from a brand called Libertyware, although some of the pieces in the same style are labelled as "CCK", whatever that is. I can get them at a local restaurant supply store for maybe $7 for a dozen pieces for teaspoons. The ones I have are heavy, don't bend, and so cheap I don't worry about losing them. They have a variety of different styles including the thin, lightweight kind that bends easily up to ones that are as thick and heavy as anything from Oneida.

The prices for a single piece on their website aren't anything like the retail prices, which are much cheaper. Many of them go for $5-9 per dozen pieces. For some I might have about a dozen or two dozen and I pull out new ones when needed.

https://www.libertywareusa.com/top-of-the-table?cat=22

If you go to the Oneida website to check out what they have, make sure to join the email list. They have pretty regular sales and I was able to save a bundle of money on some replacement pieces.

I like hearing about different word usages. Cutlery to me is a knife set.
Honestly, I usually refer to it as silverware knowing full well that it isn’t silver even though that’s not the proper term.
I’ve always had Silverplate for good and stainless for day. It’s always been called silverware. I’m married 55 years and that was the average back then and I feel the average today.

I have sterling silver for good and stainless for everyday. I always refer to the sterling as sterling and everyday as silverware. I have heard of everyday ware as flatware.

I call it silverware, too. It is interesting the different words to describe the same thing. I've heard of cutlery and flatware just don't call it that.
Silverware for me too, even though I think I said flatware earlier.

17 years of marriage, probably had 4 sets. Reason 146 I got divorced. Struggling to pay the mortgage and the electric bill, but we can throw away the silverware and buy a new set just because she didn't like them any more.

I have no idea what brand any of them are. I don't know how you girls remember insignificant stuff like the brand of your silverware from 20-30 years ago, LOL.

We’ve had the same flatware (I call it silverware, though it’s far from silver) since 1997.
Oneida Easton- it’s held up great and is a timeless pattern..
I’ve replaced some pieces over the past 10 years or so. Somehow random pieces go missing or fall victim to the disposal.
If I need to order replacements, I watch the website and can always get a discount of some sort.

Lucky you for making it 16 years. Our flatware disappears at an alarming rate. My guess is its ending up in the trash, with dirty paper plates. I'm also looking for good flatware that's in the $50 or less range. We'll replace our nice flatware, when it's mainly DH & me using it. I've learned my lesson, after paying $100+ for multiple sets of flatware that has disappeared.
It "disappears" at our house too. I use Hotel by Towle for everyday. It mixes several patterns so everything always "matches" (We've added a few along the way).

If you go to the Oneida website to check out what they have, make sure to join the email list. They have pretty regular sales and I was able to save a bundle of money on some replacement pieces.

Great idea! I'm all in for sales and discounts. I can't wait too terribly long though because mine are starting to rust.

Oneida Silverware is also made in the U.S. It was founded in Oneida, NY. I remember my mom getting it when I was a child, saying it's the best. Still have some pieces in great condition.

We have the Disney Flatware/Silverware. We purchased 2 sets so we have plenty. It's good quality and seems to hold up well until one falls in the garbage disposal lol

Oneida Silverware is also made in the U.S. It was founded in Oneida, NY. I remember my mom getting it when I was a child, saying it's the best. Still have some pieces in great condition.
Used to be - don’t think it is anymore - I believe Liberty Tabletop is the last US flatware manufacturer -

Great idea! I'm all in for sales and discounts. I can't wait too terribly long though because mine are starting to rust.
Oneida is the brand I most recently had before replacing it because it was rusting so badly. I’ve been surprised to read so many people endorsing it because I wasn’t impressed with the quality.

Oneida Silverware is also made in the U.S. It was founded in Oneida, NY.
Actually it started in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and moved to Canastota, NY during WWII. It was primarily a factory for army trucks, aircraft survival kits, and jet engine parts

Used to be - don’t think it is anymore - I believe Liberty Tabletop is the last US flatware manufacturer -
It still have factories in North America (not sure if it's still in the US). From Wikipedia:
Throughout the 1960s and 70s, Oneida's workforce grew from 2,000 to 3,000 workers, and it transitioned into manufacturing stainless steel flatware. Starting in 1977, and continuing throughout the 80s and 90s, Oneida acquired orthogonal manufacturing companies making such things as wire, flatware, and china. To compete with international manufacturing, Oneida implemented high-volume manufacturing lines in its factories. It also opened new factories throughout the world: a dinnerware factory in Juarez, Mexico; flatware factory in Toluca, Mexico; holloware factory in Shanghai, China; holloware factory in Vercelli, Italy. In 2004, it closed those factories.

Since its acquisition by Monomoy Capital Partners, Oneida has manufactured its products across North America, South America, Asia, and Europe by means of 50 manufacturing contracts

Oneida is the brand I most recently had before replacing it because it was rusting so badly. I’ve been surprised to read so many people endorsing it because I wasn’t impressed with the quality.

Thanks for telling me about the rust issue on your Oneida set. I definitely do not want to deal with rust again.

Did you use bleach at any time to clean the silverware? According to Google, bleach ruins stainless steel and can rust silverware.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter