Need New Luggage

mkymouse4ever

DIS Veteran
Looking for new Luggage set this year, something light weight, with wheels! I pack way too much so must not start heavy! Any suggestions, thanks Mky :D

Go to the Budget Forum---------- 50% off code for luggage at JC Penney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just bought it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce:

lots of people are having problems with that code...I haven't been able to get it to work at all.

My suggestion is ebags.com ...rolling duffels are $29.99

We've had the best luck with rolling duffles as checked luggage and a rolling backpack as a carry-on. When we often end up with less space coming home - it seems easier to squash everything into a large duffle than a hard edged suitcase. I've had expensive luggage ruined in the past so I much prefer the less costly duffles to get beaten up on. And don't forget to get those spacesaver bags for inside!

I don't know, I got this to work today. I think it is definately worth trying a few times. I mentioned this on another forum, that if anyone wants to call Penneys directly and tell them that your friend just ordered the luggage today with a discount code and you can't get it to work, I would be happy to email you my confirmation # for reference. I am sure that they would honor it that way.:D

Let me know if anyone needs anything I can help them with!!

Renee

We also use the rolling duffels. We just purchased a whole set from High Sierra for our next trip. They seem to be more sturdy then regular luggage and do not get beat up as bad. Also, it does seem to have a lot of room when you pack. One thing we bought for our kids was a rolling bag with a zip-off backpack on the front. The backpack will be great for carry ons and then it just zips back onto the duffel.

Any worry with breakage of anything in these duffles? Or very soft - sided light weigthed luggage? Just thinking about souviegers ( I do mail some back, but it does get expensive). Thanks, MKY:D

Airlines have recently begun to crack down hard on the size limits for checked bags; if your bag is larger, they will charge a rather nasty oversize fee.

Check the websites of the airlines you most frequently use to get their new limits.

I just went to Kohl's yesterday and got 2 new pieces of American Tourister luggage 50% off and got a free carry on tote if you bought an upright piece of luggage. The carry on tote would have cost $35. If you have a Kohl's charge you can also get a scratch off card to get an additional 10-30% off.

Checked several places and talked with a few people in the departments in the luggage stores. Seems duffles are ok on size unless its the 30" or above.

We have in Northern Illinois, Carson 's Pirie Scott Stores had a huge sale on luggage so got a 3 piece set 1.) 26" rolling duffle, with 2.) 1 stardard rolling expandable suitcase small, and 3.) 1. large duffle carry bag. total set for 72.00. All very light weight.

The stores said your allowed about 50# now before you have to pay extra. :rolleyes:

MKY (who likes to pack way to much) :rolleyes:

Rule 1. Do NOT trust the people in luggage stores. They don't really have a clue and have continued to sell those steamer trunks even though they don't meet the new qualifications.

Shape of the luggage is not the issue. Total weight and size is.

From the Delta website

Baggage Weight and Size Limitations
All checked baggage is subject to the following restrictions:

Weight

Items on domestic flights should not weigh more than 50 lbs.
Items on domestic flights weighing between 51 and 100 lbs will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items on international flights should not weigh more than 70 lbs.
Items on international flights weighing between 70 and 100 lbs will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items over 100 lbs will not be accepted

Size
Items over size limits will be charged an excess baggage fee.
Items cannot exceed 62" (length + height + width) limits.
Items over 80" will not be accepted

$80 charge for baggage that does not fit the limits.

Your advise is interesting, however I didn't see any steamer trunks yet. ;) Usually just fly out of ATA from chicago, Delta does not really have any non-stop service from here, or good times for me. :rolleyes: The ATA web site is rather vague about luggage, gives some sizes but not really weight restrictions or prices etc.... I do prefer a set of written instructions as you have for delta / that way there is no grey zone! ;) Well thanks for your help, Mky :D

I was in a luggage store going out of business in January. They had this big piece of luggage which I know was over the size limits and I am pretty sure when full it is over the weight limits. (I actually have a piece this size so I measured mine, yep too big for most airlines and the ONE time I used it the airline put a heavy tag on it. LOL That is why I don't use it again, I can't carry it!) The sales associate says to the potential customer "all of our luggage meets all airline requirements". Hmm..... I should have piped up, but I didn't.

I got these great rolling duffle bags complete with the retractable "stewardess handle" for only $25.00 at BJ's Wholesale Club. They are very roomy. I don't know about fragile items within them though....you'd probably have to pack the items with bubble wrap, then box them, then pad them with clothing. ..or better yet, put fragile items in your carry-on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter