Need opinions on doing Magic Kingdom without fast-passes; would you or not?

We winged it right after a Disney cruise. But by "wing-it" I mean we booked 3 FP rides right after we walked into the park and I used my phone to book more next to us after the 3 were up. Worked perfect and no advance planning needed.

This person goes to Disneyland a lot. It seems there it's not as intense with doing fast-passes.

I think I agree with the previous posters. I've informed them it's not the same as Disneyland and it would be useful and productive to do fastpass at Disney World.

Also, perhaps after a day of no fastpasses they will change their minds.

I was curious here to find out how many people still wing it at Disney World or not. I think as a previous poster stated if you are a regular on disboards you are probably using fastpass.

I would say very few of the people on these boards "wing it". But it is my understanding that the people on these boards (or any Disney forums in general) are a small minority of the overall population on any given day at Disney. Many, many people don't understand how the FP+ system works, and some choose not to bother learning. We have spoken to others while at Disney who didn't even know FP+ existed.

For me personally, I could never wing it. And there is not a chance that I would bring a 3 and 5 year old to Disney without a plan in place. But I certainly don't mind that there are so many non-planners... more FP+ for me! :goodvibes

I think this is part of the dilemma.

Also, this person truly feels it's unnecessary. Why spend the time to do it, if it's unnecessary.

This same person probably did over a dozen trips in the past to Disney World and never used fastpass. So, this person feels I did without before; so, I will do the same again.

Also, since the concentration will be more on the baby rides and shows she doesn't feel it's important.

Sounds like this is the real issue. You can't underestimate the effect that FP+ has had on lines. She'll see...

Tell your friends to pack snacks and games in their park bag,to have while they wait in line for the rides. 30 minutes plus will not be unusual.

Compared to the cost of a park ticket and the potential costs of the vacation if they are DW locals IMHO taking 15 minutes to pre book 3 fast passes at the MK is insignificant. Suggest they take a peek at the MDE app on a random day - mid day to see what the wait times are for the "baby rides" and then decide if spending a few minutes to pre book for each day they are at the parks is worth it to at least guarantee 3 rides. Its not like an ADR where your charged for a no show and you can always change the FP on the fly? I just don't understand folks that spend the amount of money it costs for a vacation (any vacation) and then don't want to research/plan to make the most of the trip.

I think looking at wait times is a good times.

It may not be necessary, but taking 15 minutes to book Small World, Peter Pan and Dumbo could still save a lot of time.

Unfortunately they may just need to experience things for themselves. Hopefully they would be opening to book day of passes once they are in the park if needed.

Most of the type of people who would wing it, are not likely to be on these boards. These boards are sort of the opposite of winging it.

This wouldn't happen to be for the same trip you've posted about before, would it? I don't think getting fastpasses is the least of your worries..

Yes, we regularly just wing it. But we are local and visit very frequently. If it was a "once in a lifetime" visit, thenI'd probably want to plan a bit more carefully.
Even if it's a once in a while trip, I wouldn't wing it. We go every couple years and have experienced many of the attractions and many of those multiple times... but I still wouldn't wing it. On our trip just a couple weeks ago our plans changed mid-week and we were unable to secure fps for anything we really wanted to do in a different park. I say, get your fps early and lock in your plans because nothing that "requires" a fp is going to be available in the last few days leading up, and crowd levels are not going down.

I would wing it at the Magic Kingdom. In that case, I would plan on NOT riding Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, probably NOT riding Peter Pan, and possibly NOT riding some other rides, depending on how busy a season you travel in. If you are comfortable with the idea of skipping those attractions, winging it is quite possible. On the other hand, if I want to ride those rides (and Peter Pan has been one of my favorites for about 46 years) I am going to get fastpasses for them.

Would like to know if there are any guests still willing to just wing it. I'm especially interested in those who would do it with little ones, ages 5 and 3.

If you wing it would you kindly state how long you stay in the park and how many attractions you do.

In a way, we are all "winging it" inbetween our FP+. So, I think you will find plenty to do at the park. Definitely visit places like Tom Sawyer Island, see the Muppets show, the Jack Sparrow Pirates show, Cosmic Dance Party, the stage shows and parades. Also, rides like the carousel, Monster's, PeopleMover, Aladdin's carpet ride, dumbo, enchanted tiki room, Little Mermaid will probably not have too long of waits. My park strategy is always the same. We come for a few hours in the morning/early afternoon and then rest/swim at the hotel in the afternoon before heading back out for some more rides/fireworks at night. Good-luck!

This wouldn't happen to be for the same trip you've posted about before, would it? I don't think getting fastpasses is the least of your worries..

This is totally two different situations.

My oldest daughter and her mom go every year.. and they never use FP... I don't get it but to each his own.. They obviously enjoy it because they return every year...

We visit in the summer, and no, we would never skip using FP.

We visited with my brother and his family once (who were in the camp of wake up late, get to MK at 11am and "go where the wind takes them")
They arrived at 11:00, we went in standby for Small World- an hour & 1/2 later we came off that ride

I would absolutely not wing it w/ children that young. There is not much in MK that doesn't have at least 15-20 min wait or more now depending on when you go. Maybe if they were going to do RD, but I don't call getting 2 little kids up & ready in time for RD "winging" it either.

You might tell your friend that rides which before FP+ had either short or nonexistent lines now have lines, sometimes unbelievably long lines. But, of course, your friend will quickly find this out for herself, and really, making same-day FP+s can work out. If she's completely against making FP+s ever--even when she's there--she should be prepared to be doing a whole lotta waiting in line. Especially at PPF.

Of course you can visit MK without any Fast Passes and still do a lot, you just have to understand the crowd patterns and know to zig when everybody else zags.

Here's an example of what we were able to do on a recent summer visit in just under 4 hours with no FP+. This happened to be a crowd level 8 day and an EMH morning. There was bumper to bumper traffic leaving the park when we arrived at 8 pm.

Big Thunder 3x
Splash Mtn 2x
Space Mtn 2x
Mine Train (10 min wait right a closing time)
Pirates
Jungle Cruise
Haunted Mansion
Pooh
Peter Pan
Speedway
Barnstormer 2x

We also watched the parade and fireworks and had a couple of Dole Whips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter