Need Proposal Ideas Folks - I am proposing to my boyfriend!

clr055

Reborn Mouse
Being the head strong woman that I am I have decided to propose to my boyfriend on our upcoming trip to WDW :flower3:! We have discussed the idea of me doing it and he is not at all bothered by the gender role switch (he is much more reserved and shy then I am) so I am not worried about that. Only problem is that I want it to be super special and romantic, without spending a bunch of $$$, and have never been there so I don't know what to do or where to go.

My daughter, who will be 7 then, will need to be included in the big picture. She has wanted me to get married since she could talk and I want it to be a family event. We will be there 4/18 - 4/28 and are staying at the POP.

What do you give a guy instead of a ring? My understanding is they only get the one at the ceremony and he doesn't like jewelry (but has agreed to wear the ring when we marry). Any ideas, stories, advice... anything is appreciated. I know it is not the norm for the girl to do the asking but we have both known it was meant to be from the moment we saw each other and I want our magical trip to WDW to be the start of the rest of our lives together :love:

Oooh! Oooh! How exciting!

I think any of the proposal suggestions we give guys would apply to you, but if he's shy and reserved, I guess I'd say to skip the "drop to one knee in the crowd during Wishes" thing.

What about on your favorite ride (especially if all three of you are in the same car)? My friend's DH proposed on Peter Pan cuz it's her favorite ride, and now every time they ride it, they remember his proposal.

A romantic dinner is always nice, and your daughter could be there for that. Or a carriage ride at Port Orleans would be fun, and private! Or at the back of a friendship boat one evening. Or on the beach at the Polynesian during fireworks. By a waterfall or fountain just about anywhere.... I'm on a roll here! :rotfl:

As for what to give him, if he's not a jewelry guy, I wouldn't sweat it. My dad gave my mom a sculpture that meant way more to her than a ring. I'd say an art piece or something else fitting his interests would be very cool. Or if he can stand a little jewelry, you could do an engraved watch. A pocket watch would be neat!

OK, I'll shut up now. :upsidedow

Hello

a small idea you could ask near the tea cups i think its alice in wonderland themed and get him a engagement pocket watch with engraved saying will you marry me?

you could get him to sit and wait with your daughter why you go get a drink and hand him his drink and watch

sorry its not a really great idea but all i could think of

x x x

oh yeah, rolling with that idea, you could take him and her over to the wishing well over by the castle, it's not far from the teacups...maybe ride them and then stroll over there. Make him close his eyes and make a wish, and then set a box on the bench that's right there with a note with his name on it? You'd have to have it hidden somehow before then though....maybe in a backpack?

My suggestion is to take a private moment at the Wishing Well near Cinerella's Castle.

Throw some coins in and make a wish.

Then have your daughter ask what you wished for.

Then get down on one knee and tell them that you wished to be a family and ask him to marry you.

:thumbsup2

oh yeah, rolling with that idea, you could take him and her over to the wishing well over by the castle, it's not far from the teacups...maybe ride them and then stroll over there. Make him close his eyes and make a wish, and then set a box on the bench that's right there with a note with his name on it? You'd have to have it hidden somehow before then though....maybe in a backpack?

:rotfl2: Great minds think alike, huh?

:rotfl2: Great minds think alike, huh?

I love the way you guys think! Is the wishing well hard to find? That would be a good spot because he is always saying that I have made all his wishes come true :love:. I like the engraved pocket watch idea as well, though will it matter that he will never use it? Not his style. We will be in the MK for three days of the trip so maybe at the wishing well during Wishes?! My DD will just die! She keeps asking us if we are married yet and it will make the trip that much better for her to have this happen!

Tell me, is it expected for the girl to get on a knee? I know that is standard when a guy proposes. Any more engagement gift idea's?

If you're facing the castle on Main Street, the wishing well will be on the right hand side. You'll have to follow the walkway to the right of the moat, then hang a left onto the path toward the castle at the Storytime with Belle area. The wishing well is near there.

I don't know that getting down on one knee is required or not for anyone. Do what works for you!

if you stand behing the castle the wishing well is to the left just a few steps down!

I just thought of the pocket watch because it was mad hatter tea party where they have the pocket watch. keeping it disney themed

would he not wear a ring if you did buy him one?

I think you could get down on one knee why not?

During wishes the wishing well gets quiet busy I think it was when I have been near there.

would he not wear a ring if you did buy him one?
He would wear one if I bought one but I thought guys got their ring at the wedding? Do men get engagement rings? I some how missed the gene which lets girls know all this stuff about weddings, engagements and such.

I have read somethings about the beaches at the Poly and GF being a nice romantic setting, that you can see one of the firework shows even. Anyone have a take on that? I thought it might be a little more private then around the castle.

No wonder men never want to get married, this is a lot of work/stress!! But totally worth it:goodvibes

lol it does seem very stressful planning it lol

my fiancee has an engagement ring and a few of my friends fiancees have a e ring i no torsie on here as just got her fiancees ring it gets them used to wearing an e ring as well

have you ever been to the broadwalk on the beach near the yacht club there are swinging seats you can see illuminations from there you could get your daughter to step back to take your photo and as she goes to take it you could get down on one knee and she can then tell every one she is the one that captured the moment and she will feel really involved as well

hope that is some help :)

I have read somethings about the beaches at the Poly and GF being a nice romantic setting, that you can see one of the firework shows even. Anyone have a take on that? I thought it might be a little more private then around the castle.

You can see fireworks from the Polynesian beach but not from the Grand Floridian Beach. However, every time I've watched them from the Polynesian, there have been a *lot* of people around. (Then again, this was during the MK's Halloween party, so the special fireworks may have attracted more people.)

how about giving him cuff links he could wear on your wedding day? there are classic ones, but you could also get him Mickey links or something else to suit his interest

I like the idea of a pocket watch or something that fits in a small box. If you want to include your daughter - I would have her hand him the box.

Another place that is great for the fireworks is the California Grill restaurant on the top of the contemp hotel. Its not totally private but would be more private than standing in front of the castle. The view is amazing.

Another thought -

I did the princess lunch in the castle last year. This may appeal more to your daughter then your BF, but... At the beginning of the meal they handed out a bunch of little plastic stars that were like 3 inches in diameter. Written on them was "wishing star" at the beginning of the meal everyone had to make a wish and then wave magic wands over them. It could be your daughters wish - she could say "I wish for you to marry mommy" or something and then you could hand him the box. The castle also offers all kinds of more normal proposal packages.

The only downside is that I saw all of the stars at a disney sale last spring - so I don't know if they are still doing it or not.

how about giving him cuff links he could wear on your wedding day? there are classic ones, but you could also get him Mickey links or something else to suit his interest

CUFFLINKS ARE PERFECT!!!! That is such a brilliant idea!!!!!! If you really wanted to go all out you could get matching studs and save them as a wedding present.

I would say forget the pocket watch and go with cufflinks! You could either get double sided ones and have each of your initials on either side or you could just do one set of initials on one and one on the other.

I think thats a home run - great idea KSchwagg86

How about a nice wrist watch? I like the watch idea, but my DH would not use a pocketwatch. I would want to give him something he could use daily. A nice watch can be bought for very reasonable (under $400.) Engraving is available at most jewelry stores, and would be a nice thing he could wear/use on a frequent basis.
Just my 2 cents. :)

That's great! I got engaged at Cinderella's Royal Table in Sept. There's an unadvertised proposal package where you get the best seat near the window, you get a special glass slipper white chocolate mousse dessert, special champagne flutes etc. I can't help with the gift/ring/etc but you can do this package. They also take photopass pictures of you while you're proposing and the Fairy Godmother sings to you. It was fantastical =)

Okay... this is more of a story than a suggestion... but you asked for both.

I will preface this story that they couple in question definately danced to their own drummer...

A girl I used to work with proposed to her boyfriend. Well call them Betty and John. She got a fortune cookie made that said "someone at the table has a question for you" A group of their friends went to dinner (Chinese - of course) and they went around the table reading their fortunes out loud - adding "in bed" I'm sure. John went last, and then Betty got up and proposed.

In lieu of a ring, she bought him a tent, since they both liked camping.

Because Betty thought that bringing a big box with a tent into the resturant would tip John off, she made a shoe-box diorama of the tent out of candy and after the propsal and presentation of the diorama, the table ate the diorama as dessert. :confused3

I will admit that this was/is the weirdest proposal story that I've ever heard, but if it didn't give you an idea... hopefully it made you laugh :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: (I did even just remembering it!)

I think the moral of the story is don't worry about anyone else, if it makes sense to you, and you think your man will like it - go for it, this is one of the few moments that's truly just about you! (Gosh, I feel like an after school special!):rotfl:

I'm gonna jump on the wrist watch bandwagon. Here are my thoughts:

I'd probably do something like the a carriage ride (private)
Then, I'd go into *add what you want to say here*
Finish it with, "We are looking forward to spending the rest of our time with you. Will you marry us?" ("us" meaning you and your daughter. You're a package deal! :goodvibes)
Have your daughter open a box with a watch in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter