Need Resort Recommendations for a Father Son Trip

Our plan is no park hopper. We will arrive on a Monday, do the 4 major parks on Tue, Wed, Thu, and Fri, and then leave on Saturday. How long we spend at each park will depend on how fast we get to the major attractions that interests us in each park. My thinking is that since we'll be bringing a 3 or 4 year old the next time we visit, our focus will be the thrill rides first. We'll most likely save any rides/attractions that we can do with the granddaughter for the next trip. This should allow us to get to most if not all thrill rides this trip so that we're not stressed the next trip if by chance we can't catch them all.
I think since you are focusing on thrill rides, I would stick to the Epcot resorts so you have easy access to Hollywood Studios (and Epcot). It's easiest to rope drop parks you can walk to!

My personal favorite since I also don't care about the pool that much is Boardwalk. There is entertainment along the Boardwalk but it's still a pretty chill vibe. The refurbishment of the rooms should be done by then too.

I think since you are focusing on thrill rides, I would stick to the Epcot resorts so you have easy access to Hollywood Studios (and Epcot). It's easiest to rope drop parks you can walk to!

My personal favorite since I also don't care about the pool that much is Boardwalk. There is entertainment along the Boardwalk but it's still a pretty chill vibe. The refurbishment of the rooms should be done by then too.
Thank you!

I’m not really into the value resorts. I have only stayed at Pop Century, which might not be a bad choice, since it is on the Skyliner route and walking distance to Art of Animation.

For a moderate, my choice would be Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs. The tower is beautiful and has deluxe resort vibes. Most dining and shopping can be done without going outdoors. The Disney theming is subtle and not in-your-face, like some resorts. One of the biggest criticisms I hear is that there is only bus transportation to the parks and Disney Springs and that there are multiple bus stops at the resort. This didn’t bother me and if you are driving, this might not be a concern.

My favorite deluxe is Yacht Club. YC is walking distance from Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and four other Epcot area resorts. Boat transportation is also available to the parks. The Skyliner is also nearby. As for the other Epcot resorts, I have never stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, so I can’t speak to them. Boardwalk is nice and would also be a good choice if the refurbishment is done by the time of your trip. Beach Club is closest to Epcot (and the Skyliner), but about half of the rooms only have standing balconies and I want a full balcony when I pay for a deluxe resort.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your son have a great trip!

I just came back from my second mother/daughter trip with DD16. We stayed at CSR and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is the deluxe of the moderates and I wouldn't hesitate to stay their again. We did a regular room but I know the tower rooms are even better.

If money was no object we definitely would have stayed at the Beach Club. We are big pool people but besides that the walk to Epcot and HS can't be beat. As my kids have gotten older DHS is easily becoming their favorite park. DD isn't the biggest Star Wars fan but she was so excited to see Galaxy's Edge. We've done Boardwalk and really enjoyed it but BC is our favorite.

I’ve stayed at every hotel in Disneyworld.

My top recommendation would be to go back to the Polynesian. I believe it truly is the best resort there. And you know whats better than the first time you stay at the Poly? The 2nd time you go back. The memories you made and coming back to it (especially since you loved it) will really make you feel like you are “home”. Also, walking to the transportation center to take a monorail to epcot (and gondolas to Hollywood Studios from epcot), as well as boats to the magic kingdom really make it THE place for park access.

Now, on the flipside, if you want a new place to make memories with just your son, and not have the feeling of “im back at the poly and now i miss the rest of my family because we were all here together last time” then I’d say the Wilderness Lodge. It truly is beautiful.

last recommendation is port orleans riverside. Smaller room but the feeling of being there and so many things to do, with boat access to disney springs, its just fantastic. The orleans laid back vibes is great.

You can compare facts and amenities etc all you want but the FEELING of staying at these 3 locations cannot be beat.

My August dates are $250 at the Waldorf (~$350 with fees) on Hotwire blind. I was seriously considering that and not using my points. It would be very difficult for me to spend $900 at Contemporary over the Waldorf.

BUT the Waldorf doesn't get the late hours, which are my favorite thing. I'd price out Swan and Dolphin as well.

I love the idea of a father-son Disney trip with your 16 year old, at his suggestion. That’s a priceless thing, enjoy!

Your ask, however, is way too open ended for anyone to REALLY give you the best recommendations! Not that the input people have provided so far isn’t nice, but I need to know more!

What kind of things do you and your son like to do together? For instance, my son and I fish together, so last trip we did a Disney fishing excursion. That’s just an example. Some resorts are more conducive to certain activities, that is why it could be helpful to know what kinds of things you like to do!

If you did spend time at the parks, but it might be limited, what parks/rides would you be most likely to want to do? For instance, if you are Star Wars fans, or coaster fans, then an Epcot resort with easy access to Epcot and the Studios. On the other hand, maybe nostalgia draws you toward the MK, in which case a MK resort.

Come on, man….these are things we need to know if you really want our help. Otherwise I’d be shooting blind based on MY personal preferences! :P

I agree…just knowing you will return in a few years Makes me think you should save Co temporary ( or renting BLT ) for that trip. walk across street with stroller and easy trip back for naps, etc…

I actually think your son would love staying at the Poly knowing you have so many memories of that trip.
Be sure to visit resorts during your free time and then your son can help with future trip planning .
While staying at Poly , you will experience their water taxi option along with monorail or walk to TTC to take a ferry. Visit MK to see the train pull into the station and the Liberty Bell for a Paddle Wheel steamboat trip.
Experiencing transport while at the age of 16, learning how to drive or as a new driver . Interesting aspect…does he want to be captain of that pontoon rental for one hour ? He would have to have a drivers license .
Still excited and anxious to hear your finalized trip resort …
And then we can help you with real nitty gritty.
Cosmic Rewind !
Tron
Soarin’
Runaway Railroad
Millenium Falcon
Rise of the Resistance
Skyliner and the technology used for the Remy‘s Ratoutille attraction is the hands free driving future . It is amazing to experience the attraction park itself for your exit !
I forgot the river raft over to Tom Sawyer Island too! And explore a fort and enter into those caves !
And the PeopleMover and he needs to drive the Speedway little cars! Haha And Test Trak !

And Spaceship Earth and Mission to Mars!

I hope you have time to watch all the travel documentaries as you visit the World Pavillions at Epcot.
And everybody seems to walk past the Awesome Planet film on their way to Soarin and Livin with the Land…
I have to see this everytime I go to Epcot . It is a huge theatre with Air conditioning and I go down all those steps to be in the front center theatre seats because this film is important for so many reasons!
Please please please take 10 minutes otherwise I will not be happy reading your trip report ! Haha

Ok I am ready to help with next trip in few years cause then we can talk
Epic Universe at Universal Orlando ! Time to start planning !

Last edited:
Ok, I’ve caught up a little. You went from ‘Great deal of time at the resort, not sure how much time in the parks’ to ‘All four parks in four days, focused on thrill rides.’ If you truly focus on thrill rides and not the full parks that should leave a good amount of time at the resorts, but keeping the focus on parks and thrill rides I’d recommend staying at an Epcot resort.

The Epcot resort area is great. For starters you have easy access to both Epcot and the Studios. Cosmic Rewind at Epcot may now have my top spot for rides at WDW, although Flight of Passage at AK is neck and neck! Epcot also has Remy, Test Track, Soarin’, great food options, and even for a 16 year old the World Showcase can be fun. As for the Studios, you’ve got Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, the Star Wars attractions, Slinky Dog (not the most thrilling coaster but fun), and some good father son rivalry fun on Midway Mania. In addition to that kind of park access the Epcot resort area is fun to explore, being able to explore around the Epcot resorts, a fun atmosphere, some food options, even being able to see some Epcot fireworks if not in the park. I know you’ll have a car, which provides great flexibility, but being able to leave the car (something of a real world intrusion) in the parking lot as much as possible is nice, IMHO. That said, driving to AK for your time there is super convenient/efficient! The only challenge of an Epcot resort is the MK. Parking there is less convenient, or you could use the bus for that one day. The busses are kind of cool, on a limited basis, at least for us.

As for Epcot resorts, Beach Club is our favorite. I know you said pool isn’t important, but if any pool is worth spending some time at it is Stormalong Bay! Swan and Dolphin are also very nice, for a slightly cheaper option. Boardwalk and Riviera are also options.

There are some nice moderate resorts out there. However, for a special trip like this I think immersing yourself in an Epcot (or MK) resort just adds to the Magic. The less time you spend driving a car or riding a bus the more Magical, IMHO. Values aren’t our thing so I can’t advise there, but with money not being a driver I wouldn’t recommend them.

Just a thought, have you considered a DVC villa? You can reserve through Disney, or there is the DVC rent/trade board. Renting a 1Br Villa from a member (there is midweek availability at both Board Walk Villas and Riviera on the Skyliner, which is cool), for a similar price as a standard room through Disney, would give you more space and some privacy. Just a thought.

Have fun planning, and have a great trip!

You mention that you are both introverts, plan to spend a lot of time at the resort and would like a lot of things to do around the resort and will have a car. Your son in 16. Your description screams Fort Wilderness cabin to me. When my boys were around that age, they loved to stay in the cabins at Fort Wilderness. Fort Wilderness is not for everyone, but there is plenty to do there. Campfires, horseback riding, archery, etc. Get a golf cart. You will know if it’s right for you or not.

Came on here to say pretty much exactly this, ^^ felt it bears repeating!

Value- I prefer All Star Music or Movies. I think Pop is a lot noisier. However, Pop does have the Skyliner and that is a perk for some.

Moderate- French Quarter and Riverside are my two favorites. French Quarter for the size and Riverside for the beautiful grounds. Both have good food and a boat to Disney Springs.

Deluxe- I vote Yacht Club, Boardwalk, or Wilderness Lodge. We were riding on the monorail a week ago and got to see firsthand how extensive the construction is around the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. It's huge and unavoidably noticeable.

I've had great experiences at both Yacht and Boardwalk. They are both within walking distance to EPCOT and you can either walk to Hollywood Studios or take the boat or the Skyliner. They both have great food and atmosphere. I've never stayed at Wilderness Lodge, but have been to it many times and find the vibe very relaxing and have it on my list of 'someday stays,' plus it is a short boat ride to Magic Kingdom. If you go there be sure to check out the train room.

Have an awesome time, wherever you choose!

As for value, I love Pop (but have never stayed at the All-Stars). I do think it is the best choice there, especially with the Skyliner.

Moderate: I am partial to CBR. Haven't been to Coronado and liked PO less. However, part of the reason I do like it so much is because it was the first Disney resort I ever stayed in.

Deluxe: Not my price range so have never stayed (but have visited). My recommendations would be:
- Maybe Poly? Does your son have any memories of your first trip? If so he may associate WDW with the Polynesian and everything else would be less popular. My kids probably would choose Pop over almost any other resort for that reason.
- Beach Club/Boardwalk for the great location near Epcot
- AKL if he is interested in animals/Africa. Great food options but transportation is much worse than at the ones above (though it may not matter if you have a car). I also find AKL a bit dark, but that is a matter of taste.

And my personal favorite (and best pick for a Father-Son-Trip): Fort Wilderness Cabins. Those could be a great choice if you like outdoorsy stuff. There is so much to do there. Transportation is a bit of a pain but again that may not matter to you. It probably has the most non-Disney stuff to offer (and you can spread out a bit more).

I can’t speak to all levels, but I think for introverts with a generous budget, an AKL savannah room is the way to go. You can spend the down time on your balcony, watching the animals and there’s lots to do at the resort. Otherwise, I would suggest the Boardwalk Inn because the location is so convenient. Have a wonderful time wherever you stay!

Animal Kingdom Lodge/Jambo House is my very favorite resort anywhere, not just Disney World. It's fascinating, peaceful, there are quiet nooks for reading, paths to explore, animals to watch- from your balcony in a savanna view room, or from any of the paths around the resort. Pool was fine, not that we are pool people but it was fun to laze around for a few hours. I just love the feel of AKL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter