• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need ride order plan strategy for one day at DCA ?

SeiterClan

DIS Veteran
Specifically, we only have 1 park day for DCA(a Friday in August) & want to make the most of it! We will have EMH because we will be staying on-site & we will also have Max Pass too. :) We love rides & want to ride RSR at least twice, once in the morning as well as at night along with everything else except GOTG(sorry we don't love drops)including Bugsland. We also really want to see Frozen in the afternoon to take a break & see PTN! Any advice on order or strategy would be most apprecciated! :)

The issue you will run into due to your request for night rides is that you want to see PTN as well. Read my tips below...

730am: Arrive at the park entrance
8am-9am: Head to Carsland and ride the attractions in this order. Ride Racers using Stand-By, Luigi's, Mater's (while in line use MP and get FP for Racers), head to Pixar Pier and ride Toy Story Midway Mania as park is about to open.
9am-945am: Ride in this order, Pal Around, Goofy Sky School, Jellyfish, Symphony Swings, and Zephyr.
945am-1030am: Use MP and grab FP for Soarin, ride Monsters Inc, use 1st FP for Racers,
1030am-1130am: use MP and grab FP for Grizzly, use FP for Soarin, use FP for Grizzly.
1130am: Take a break at the hotel but continue to use MP to get FPs. First FP should be for Racers for the night ride (make sure you keep an eye on it as the FP tends to sell out around 1130am or 12pm you want something for after 930), make sure it is after 830pm as it doesn't get dark until that time. The second FP for should be for the Incredicoaster as this ride is 100x better at night (again something for around 930)
4pm: Re-enter California Adventure and see the 5pm Frozen show. You should get in line by 430pm. The Mezzanine level is best, Orchestra second, Balcony only if you have too. Remember to use the Restroom before you enter the line.
6pm: Dinner?
8pm: Get a spot for the PTN parade. Make sure you ask a Cast Member where the parade starts and get a viewing location near that area.
850pm: Parade starts, if you're near the beginning of the route you should be done by 915. Now it's time for Racers and Incredicoaster before the park closes at 10pm.

ME

Funny, we are going inAugust and our 6:00 on schedule is spot on, except we have dinner at Naples at 5:30. We will get a spot near Little Mermaid for PTN and then off to GOTG and RSR if I am able to time the MaxPass properly.

Also, I found that I need to have flexibility in our schedule or it gets to be work to stay on schedule. Now we set our anchors for specific rides or shows at specific times and let the rest float a bit. One last thought... I don’t worry too much about effieiciency at DCA since it is pretty quick to get from one end to the other

The issue you will run into due to your request for night rides is that you want to see PTN as well. Read my tips below...

8am-9am: Head to Carsland and ride the attractions in this order. Ride Racers using Stand-By, Luigi's, Mater's (while in line use MP and get FP for Racers), head to Pixar Pier and ride Toy Story Midway Mania as park is about to open.
9am-945am: Ride in this order, Pal Around, Goofy Sky School, Jellyfish, Symphony Swings, and Zephyr.
945am-1030am: Use MP and grab FP for Soarin, ride Monsters Inc, use 1st FP for Racers,
1030am-1130am: use MP and grab FP for Grizzly, use FP for Soarin, use FP for Grizzly.
1130am: Take a break at the hotel but continue to use MP to get FPs. First FP should be for Racers for the night ride (make sure you keep an eye on it as the FP tends to sell out around 1130am or 12pm you want something for after 930), make sure it is after 830pm as it doesn't get dark until that time. The second FP for should be for the Incredicoaster as this ride is 100x better at night (again something for around 930)
4pm: Re-enter California Adventure and see the 5pm Frozen show. You should get in line by 430pm. The Mezzanine level is best, Orchestra second, Balcony only if you have too. Remember to use the Restroom before you enter the line.
8pm: Get a spot for the PTN parade. Make sure you ask a Cast Member where the parade starts and get a viewing location near that area.
850pm: Parade starts, if you're near the beginning of the route you should be done by 915. Now it's time for Racers and Incredicoaster before the park closes at 10pm.

ME
This is great! Thank you so much for your tips. :) I'm gonna save this in my phone!

When you enter park get a fast pass for Radiator springs and go get in line for radiator springs. Then get a Soarin or Incredicoaster fastpass. Should be pretty easy to do DCA in a day. Especially without Guardians.

ME

Thanks for these tips!
What would you recommend tweaking if we didn't have EMH and park opening is at 9? Would this game plan still be sustainable?

The first thing to remember is that you have a 20-minute leeway to use your FPs. You can actually use them 5 minutes before the return time and 15 minutes after the return time.

The second thing to remember is to use the FP refresh trick when you are trying to find an earlier time or if an FP sells out.
Refresh trick = Create FP Party > Select Park > See the list of FP attraction return times > Go Back and Select Park again > See the list of FP attraction return times possibly change. You may need to do this quite a bit but it does work. More so if you have a smaller party.

Ok, now to my recommendation...

830am: Arrive at the park entrance. DCA has been opening a few minutes before the official opening time. Once inside purchase MaxPass and get FP for Radiator Springs Racers. The return time will be around 930am-1030am, depends on how early you enter the park. Line up behind the rope closest to Carthay Circle.

9am-930am: When the park opens head to Cars Land and ride in order, Mater's and then Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters. It should almost time to grab your next FP.

930am-1030am: Use MP and get FP for Toy Story Midway Mania (it will have a quick return time but do not use it yet). Now head to Pixar Pier and ride Pal Around, then ride Goofy's Sky School, Jellyfish, Zephyr, Now use MP and get FP for Incredicoaster and ride Symphony Swings, use FP for Mania, use FP for Incredicoaster. Use MP and get FP for Guardians, use FP for Radiator Springs Racers.

1030am-1pm: Ride Monsters Inc., Hangout and do some of the attractions in Bugs Land or Animation Academy, Next use MP and get FP for Soarin, use FP for Guardians, ride Little Mermaid, use MP and get FP for Grizzly, use FP for Soarin, use FP for Grizzly.

ME

Last edited:
The first thing to remember is that you have a 20-minute leeway to use your FPs. You can actually use them 5 minutes before the return time and 15 minutes after the return time.

The second thing to remember is to use the FP refresh trick when you are trying to find an earlier time or if an FP sells out.
Refresh trick = Create FP Party > Select Park > See the list of FP attraction return times > Go Back and Select Park again > See the list of FP attraction return times possibly change. You may need to do this quite a bit but it does work. More so if you have a smaller party.

830am: Arrive at the park entrance. DCA has been opening a few minutes before the official opening time. Once inside purchase MaxPass and get FP for Radiator Springs Racers. The return time will be around 930am-1030am, depends on how early you enter the park. Line up behind the rope closest to Carthay Circle.

9am-930am: When the park opens head to Cars Land and ride in order, Mater's and then Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters. It should almost time to grab your next FP.

930am-1030am: Use MP and get FP for Toy Story Midway Mania (it will have a quick return time but do not use it yet. Now head to Pixar Pier and ride Pal Around, then ride Goofy's Sky School, Jellyfish, Zephyr, Now use MP and get FP for Incredicoaster and Symphony Swings, use FP for Mania, use FP for Incredicoaster. Use MP and get FP for Guardians, use FP for Radiator Springs Racers.

1030am-1pm: Ride Monsters Inc., Hangout and do some of the attractions in Bugs Land or Animation Academy, Next use MP and get FP for Soarin, use FP for Guardians, ride Little Mermaid, use MP and get FP for Grizzly, use FP for Soarin, use FP for Grizzly.

ME

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. The most efficient use of MP first thing in the morning and order. This basically knocks out the entire park by noon on a EE day.

What is your strategy for DL, and what is your strategy if you are trying to combine the two parks to only hit the E and D ticket rides?

930am-1030am: Use MP and get FP for Toy Story Midway Mania (it will have a quick return time but do not use it yet. Now head to Pixar Pier and ride Pal Around, then ride Goofy's Sky School, Jellyfish, Zephyr, Now use MP and get FP for Incredicoaster and Symphony Swings, use FP for Mania, use FP for Incredicoaster. Use MP and get FP for Guardians, use FP for Radiator Springs Racers.

ME

Omg you are a wizard!
This was totally what I was looking for!
Is it really possible to get that much of the pier done from 9:30-10:30?? Because that would be awesome!
Thank you for this!

Omg you are a wizard!
This was totally what I was looking for!
Is it really possible to get that much of the pier done from 9:30-10:30?? Because that would be awesome!
Thank you for this!

Yes, however, you may need to go back to TSMM or Incredicoaster depending on how the day goes.
For example, if say Racers is down in the morning, that will have an effect on FP distribution and Stand By Lines for Incredicoaster and TSMM.

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. The most efficient use of MP first thing in the morning and order. This basically knocks out the entire park by noon on a EE day.

What is your strategy for DL, and what is your strategy if you are trying to combine the two parks to only hit the E and D ticket rides?

The most important thing for both parks is to be at the entrance 30 minutes early, especially for Disneyland since the line to get in can build up quite quickly.

For Disneyland, I would recommend this at an 8am opening no EMH/MM...
8am-850am: Use MP and grab FP for Matterhorn, ride Peter Pan only if you are able to be near the front of rope drop, otherwise skip it. Then ride the attractions in this order. Alice, Dumbo, Casey Jr., Toad, Pinocchio, and Snow White. Your goal should be to be out of Fantasyland by 9am. (If the park opens at 9am use MP and grab FP for Matterhorn and use Standby for Star Tours)
9am-930am: Use MP and grab FP for Star Tours. Now you have to make a decision. Would you rather ride Nemo Submarines or experience all of Toontown? If you decide on Toontown (opens an hour after park opening), Mickey or Minnies house are first or second, Gadget Go Coaster, and Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin. Use MP and grab FP for Indiana Jones
930am-10am: Use FP for Matterhorn, use FP for Star Tours
10am-11am: Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Use MP and grab FP for Splash Mountain, use FP for Indiana Jones.
11am-12pm: use MP and grab FP for Space Mountain, use FP for Splash Mountain
12pm: Lunch use MP and grab FP for Haunted Mansion (should have a quick return time)
1pm-3pm: Use MP and grab FP for Big Thunder Mountain, use FP for Haunted Mansion, use FP for Space Mountain, use MP and grab FP for Buzz (quick return time), use FP for Buzz, use FP for Big Thunder.
Attractions like Autopia, Nemo if you go to Toontown instead, Small World can all be done later in the day.

For Two Park E or D tickets only I would...
Start at Disneyland first on a non-EMH/MM day.
8am-11am: Use MP for Indiana Jones FP, ride Star Tours Stand By (only currently choosing Star Tours first because they limiting the simulators and FPs), then Big Thunder Mountain Stand By, then Splash Mountain Stand By, Mansion Stand By, Pirates, Use MP and grab FP for Space, use FP for Indiana Jones.
11am-12pm: Use MP and grab FP for Racers, use Single Rider for Matterhorn, use FP for Space Mountain
12pm: Lunch and head to California Adventure.
After Racers the FP order should be, TSMM, Guardians, Incredicoaster, Soarin, Grizzly, and Goofy.
Remember the MP FP Return Time Refresh Trick. Guardians and Incredicoaster will be easier to get due to the "scary/thrilling/height requirement" of the attraction.

ME

Last edited:
The most important thing for both parks is to be at the entrance 30 minutes early, especially for Disneyland since the line to get in can build up quite quickly.

For Disneyland, I would recommend this at an 8am opening no EMH/MM...
8am-850am: Use MP and grab FP for Matterhorn, ride Peter Pan only if you are able to be near the front of rope drop, otherwise skip it. Then ride the attractions in this order. Alice, Dumbo, Casey Jr., Toad, Pinocchio, and Snow White. Your goal should be to be out of Fantasyland by 9am. (If the park opens at 9am use MP and grab FP for Matterhorn and use Standby for Star Tours)
9am-930am: Use MP and grab FP for Star Tours. Now you have to make a decision. Would you rather ride Nemo Submarines or experience all of Toontown? If you decide on Toontown (opens an hour after park opening), Mickey or Minnies house are first or second, Gadget Go Coaster, and Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin. Use MP and grab FP for Indiana Jones
930am-10am: Use FP for Matterhorn, use FP for Star Tours
10am-11am: Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Use MP and grab FP for Splash Mountain, use FP for Indiana Jones.
11am-12pm: use MP and grab FP for Space Mountain, use FP for Splash Mountain
12pm: Lunch use MP and grab FP for Haunted Mansion (should have a quick return time)
1pm-3pm: Use MP and grab FP for Big Thunder Mountain, use FP for Haunted Mansion, use FP for Space Mountain, use MP and grab FP for Buzz (quick return time, use FP for Buzz, use FP for Big Thunder.
Attractions like Autopia, Nemo if you go to Toontown instead, Small World can all be done later in the day.

For Two Park E or D tickets only I would...
Start at Disneyland first on a non-EMH/MM day.
8am-11am: Use MP for Indiana Jones FP, ride Star Tours (only currently choosing Star Tours first because they limiting the simulators and FPs), then Big Thunder Mountain, then Splash Mountain, Mansion, Pirates, Use MP and grab FP for Space, use FP for Indiana Jones.
11am-12pm: Use MP and grab FP for Racers, use Single Rider for Matterhorn, use FP for Space Mountain
12pm: Lunch and head to California Adventure.
After Racers the FP order should be, TSMM, Guardians, Incredicoaster, Soarin, Grizzly, and Goofy.
Remember the MP FP Return Time Refresh Trick. Guardians and Incredicoaster will be easier to get due to the "scary/thrilling/height requirement" of the attraction.

ME

You are awesome. I've only been on a full trip once. The crowds must have been much worse. We are always at RD 30 minutes early. We tried the FL plan and headed straight to Alice. There was a less than 5 minute delay in opening, but otherwise we were the first ones on. But by then, the line for Dumbo was around 20 minutes, and by then, none of the dark rides were walkon. It was the last week of the 60th celebration so that might have had something to do with it. Similarly, another day our plan was Matterhorn and then Nemo subs. Ended up wasting 35-40 minutes of precious RD time on the Nemo subs. I've seen so many RD videos of people tearing through all of FL in the first hour, but that was unfortunately not our experience at all despite being at the front of the pack. It was an EE day however, but we were using EE ourselves.

You are awesome. I've only been on a full trip once. The crowds must have been much worse. We are always at RD 30 minutes early. We tried the FL plan and headed straight to Alice. There was a less than 5 minute delay in opening, but otherwise we were the first ones on. But by then, the line for Dumbo was around 20 minutes, and by then, none of the dark rides were walkon. It was the last week of the 60th celebration so that might have had something to do with it. Similarly, another day our plan was Matterhorn and then Nemo subs. Ended up wasting 35-40 minutes of precious RD time on the Nemo subs. I've seen so many RD videos of people tearing through all of FL in the first hour, but that was unfortunately not our experience at all despite being at the front of the pack. It was an EE day however, but we were using EE ourselves.

On most occasions, if you are at Rope Drop and the other attractions are busy, it's mostly due to Peter Pan or other attractions (mostly Peter Pan) being down at opening.

That is why on most Rope Drops unless I am standing at the rope and touching it with my hands, I will not ride Peter Pan first. In the span, it would take to ride Peter Pan you can do 2-3 attractions in Fantasyland with minimal waits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter