• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need ski clothes advice

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
We're going to Lake Tahoe to ski right after Christmas. It's been a long time since we skied so I need to get new ski clothes. I have thermals and have picked out a ski jacket, a gaiter, and ski pants. I looked at ski clothes and it's so different from the last time I bought them. I get cold very easily these days. What should I get to wear over my thermal shirt? I would also love a recommendation for goggles that fit comfortably over glasses. I can't safely ski without them.

Whatever it is, avoid cotton. Not a great idea in cold weather once it gets wet, because there will be inevitable sweating. The first time I took ski lessons as a kid (I don't really ski) I was wearing jeans and when I fell down it was just horrible. Wool or synthetics are the way to stay warm.

I remember seeing cotton "thermals". Later when I knew more about cold weather survival I was thinking it was insane.

I don't have a whole lot of experience skiing, but I do have experience in the snow. If you're not experienced skiing, you're almost assuredly going to fall down.

Also - do you mean a neck gaiter or ankle gaiters? Not sure about ankle gaiters since they might not fit over downhill ski boots. But it would be good keeping snow out of your socks.

Either wool or fleece to wear over your base layer.

If you can, change our your gaiter for a balaclava. It is designed to fit under a helmet and will keep you warmer than a neck gaiter will.

As far as goggles go, there is no way for any of us to give you a good recommendation. They fit people so differently. You just have to try them on with your helmet and glasses and see which fit best.

Is your ski coat insulated? Or is it just a shell! if just a shell then a thicker warm fleece would work best Under the shell. If insulated then a fleece sweater would work.

I prefer ski bibs over plain ski pants but that’s just me.

Rather than a gaiter I would recommend a balaclava since it covers your neck, mouth, and your head under your helmet.

Ski mitts are usually warmer than gloves.

Hand warmers might also be a good idea. They can be placed inside of gloves, although they should be removed if they get too hot. It's kind of odd how it works in an enclosed space like a pocket or a glove. They get warmer because they're insulated, which then increases the heat even more. But they're also getting restricted oxygen, which means reducing the reaction somewhat. But overall it tends to make them warmer while lasting longer.

I would highly recommend going to a ski shop. The staff can assist you with all your inquiries. Also agreed with everyone who suggested replacing the gaiter with a balaclava.

I would just sit by the fire and enjoy an Old Fashioned. Cheers!
This is what I've been doing while my family is "combating" the crowd on the slope. If people think maneuvering the crowd is tough at Disney, they haven't been to a popular ski resort during high season.

I would also love a recommendation for goggles that fit comfortably over glasses. I can't safely ski without them.
We don't wear glasses, but goggles from Smith have been working well for us. You need to bring your helmet for goggles fitting.

We’ll be in Lake Tahoe in January too. Some of us ski. Some of us gamble. And some of us do both. It’s a great winter vacation spot.

I layer wool. I like the smart wool brand, but I have several tops and bottoms of various brands that have lasted for years. That’s what I tend to take for winter trips and use for skiing.

I skied for many years and usually wore a neck gaiter. Never wore a balaclava and IME most ski helmets are very warm but YMMV. ( I also skied for years with no helmet, before it was the norm, and wore a ski hat instead). I would recommend a base layer made of synthetic fabric such as polypropylene, or merino wool. Mid layer can be the same materials or fleece.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful. I’ve skied at Heavenly, Northstar and Squaw Valley, now called Palisades. Conditions there are very different (in a good way) from what I’m used to in the East.

We’re a ski family, and am always buying new gear as the kids grow, and *ahem* as I grow… finally switched to a bib last season and I’m never going back to pants. My waist was finally free! I also prefer a neck gaiter over a baclava. Buff brand has some great fleece lined ones. For layering, my base is often a pair of exercise pants and a tank + sports bra. Next is a poly half zip base layer. Then maybe a thicker fleece half zip. My ski jacket has a zip out puffer lining. Really depends on the weather of the day, but I like to have options. The half zips are great if you need to cool down, or when taking a break in the lodge. Not sure if this helmet with built in goggles will work over your glasses, but worth an ask if you can get to a ski shop to try on one? Also the shop at the ski resort might have the best selection if you can’t find what you need anywhere else. And, if it doesn’t work you will know and can return it right away.

https://www.sunandski.com/p/34670056070002245/Giro-Vue-MIPS-Snow-Helmet

I skied for many years and usually wore a neck gaiter. Never wore a balaclava and IME most ski helmets are very warm but YMMV. ( I also skied for years with no helmet, before it was the norm, and wore a ski hat instead). I would recommend a base layer made of synthetic fabric such as polypropylene, or merino wool. Mid layer can be the same materials or fleece.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful. I’ve skied at Heavenly, Northstar and Squaw Valley, now called Palisades. Conditions there are very different (in a good way) from what I’m used to in the East.

Polypropylene? That's just sadistic when it's really difficult to scratch an itch. Good quality microfiber polyester wins out every time even if it's not quite as warm. My favorite is Patagonia Capilene, although it's expensive as heck.

Are helmets common now? I didn't know whether to rent them or not. I've already book the ski rentals so I can just call up Northstar to add those to the rental.

I'm allergic to wool so I can't wear wool socks. What should I get instead?

All of this info is very helpful and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I've had time to read it thoroughly. I was planning to order the gear online because I wear plus sizes and I haven't had much luck getting this stuff anywhere else. I'll find a ski shop though to get fitted for goggles. I wear transition bifocals plus I have astigmatism so I would be a menace on the slopes without my glasses.:eek:

My advice is if you are near a ski shop talk to them about the googles. My daughter has a set that is perfect for wearing with googles. Granted my version of skiing involves sitting in front of the fire with spiked hot chocolate and a book while everyone else skies. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter