Need Some Advice for Upcoming Stay

ArtistBruce24

Navy Veteran, working for the mouse
Hey Everyone! Long time lurker of the DIS here and I'm in need of the community support.

Just to give everyone a quick background so we're on the same page, I'm staying at Pop! from April 29-May 5, 2017 right now with the Disney Dining Plan. I am a solo active duty military traveler visiting for my 6th time, this being my second time this year! I first went Jan 18-24 of this year and stayed at the Polynesian Villas (LOVED IT) with the deluxe dining plan.

Unfortunately, there are no open military rates at the Pop! so I'm using the Fun & Sun Offer for about $114 a night with a total package cost of $1177.08 with the dining plan. I've been trying to get 'upgraded' to the military rate but nothing is open. I really want Coronado or Caribbean Beach but for whatever reason May 4-5 is showing very limited availability with nothing at the value resorts and the only moderate is POFQ. After making some phone calls I have several options at hand and I was hoping to get some in depth advice.

Whenever I fiddle with the dates I can get some really great availability from 29 April-4 May regardless if it has Military or not. I'm really trying to either get a better rate at Pop! which isn't happening right now, or something in the moderate resort range that's close to what I have now price wise. I want to stay 6 nights and can't really change the dates I have because it's mandated by my command.

So here's the dilemma, whenever I search the 29th to the 4th I get the great options so I got curious and messed around. For whatever reason that's beyond me, it's May 4-5 that's taking all the rooms. I don't get it. Right after that the resorts open back up with pretty good availability. I thought maybe splitting my stay with the Pop! from April 29-May 4 and then staying at the Contemporary from May 4-5 would be a good option. But I'm betting that on a military rate opening up which isn't always guaranteed. Secondly, I thought to try getting a cheaper rate at another value resort from April 29-May 4 and then staying at the Contemporary on my last day again because it's essentially the same cost. But I don't want to give up that amazing transportation service the Pop! has.

Lastly, I thought to try seeing if a military rate was open for a shorter range at the Pop! like 29 Apr-2May or something to keep driving the cost down. I was also told to see if about doing a stay from 29 Apr to ten days, nine, eight, etc. and see if a military rate opens, if it does book that then drop it down to the 6 nights.

Do you have any advice at all on what I should? I get it's a play on the system, kinda, but of course there are those risks.

The mouse is playing a hard game right now.

Thank you so much!

Just a guess, but it's "May the 4th be with you" day. Might be a big booking date for Star Wars folks??? Do they have some special events at DHS on 5/4?

Maybe do a split stay? Use the military rate for the available dates, then the fun and sun rate for the other dates. I really like POFQ, so if it's available for the entire time, you might want to stay there. I've stayed at CBR and prefer POFQ.

Question: How are you seeing Military availability online? I have booked military rates, but always have to call, and have never seen the availability online. I'd love to know if there's a way to look at availability online! You might call and see if you can get something by talking to a representative.

Just a guess, but it's "May the 4th be with you" day. Might be a big booking date for Star Wars folks??? Do they have some special events at DHS on 5/4?

Maybe do a split stay? Use the military rate for the available dates, then the fun and sun rate for the other dates. I really like POFQ, so if it's available for the entire time, you might want to stay there. I've stayed at CBR and prefer POFQ.

Question: How are you seeing Military availability online? I have booked military rates, but always have to call, and have never seen the availability online. I'd love to know if there's a way to look at availability online! You might call and see if you can get something by talking to a representative.

So right now nothing shows event wise for May 4th. I didn't think about that. I'm from SW Louisiana so I've been to NOLA countless times and lives there for a short while so it's not having a draw for me. I'd hate to stay there and just be like meh. I didn't move until I was 18 so I know a thing or two about the south.

No, I can't look up the military rates myself but I have a CM who does and sometimes I call. I wish we could look it up on line, would save lots of headache.

I'm pretty sure there's a cheerleading summit going on that weekend and into the beginning of the next week. So, that might be the issue.

So I called and got them to check the schedule. The first set leaves the 28th and 29th and the second set comes in on the 5th. At least, that's what I'm being told. So it shouldn't affect the 4th.

Hmmm, Cinco de Mayo maybe? I don't know! Since you're military, why not look into Shades of Green?

Hmmm, Cinco de Mayo maybe? I don't know! Since you're military, why not look into Shades of Green?

That's what I keep thinking but that many people? Does Disney do something special for Cinco de Mayo? And believe it or not, this is one of those times where Shades of Green is beat by Disney. Actually that happens pretty often... Plus I lose my dining plan which I'm being told may not be worth it for me since I'm going solo. I'm just worried if I do the military rate at All Stars I'll hate my self for giving up Pop!

Disney Dining Plan and splitting stay between resorts heads-up:

We did this on our last trip (Jan 2016) staying between Bay Lake & AKL. It is considered two different trips and two different dining plans. On the day we 'checked-out' of one and started staying at the other we had some issues with our magicbands registering the new plan so we had to pay for our meals out-of-pocket and then call to get reimbursed and adjusted to our plan. While we did not get any hesitation from the cast members helping us on the phone and everything worked out within a few calls, it was still an issue we did not foresee when we planned.

Disney Dining Plan and splitting stay between resorts heads-up:

We did this on our last trip (Jan 2016) staying between Bay Lake & AKL. It is considered two different trips and two different dining plans. On the day we 'checked-out' of one and started staying at the other we had some issues with our magicbands registering the new plan so we had to pay for our meals out-of-pocket and then call to get reimbursed and adjusted to our plan. While we did not get any hesitation from the cast members helping us on the phone and everything worked out within a few calls, it was still an issue we did not foresee when we planned.

Thanks for that information. Since I'd be doing one night if I switched to All Stars they wouldn't give me the dining plan because it'll still work on the 4th just not the 5th. That doesn't bother me of course because that's my departure day anyway.

Just debating if I should ride out the storm and wait for that 30 day mark to see if people cancel or make the switch now and lose Pop.

That's what I keep thinking but that many people? Does Disney do something special for Cinco de Mayo? And believe it or not, this is one of those times where Shades of Green is beat by Disney. Actually that happens pretty often... Plus I lose my dining plan which I'm being told may not be worth it for me since I'm going solo. I'm just worried if I do the military rate at All Stars I'll hate my self for giving up Pop!
Honestly I have no clue if WDW does anything for Cinco de Mayo, but the holiday has certainly become popular! And I think the All Stars are every bit as good as Pop, they just share buses while Pop does not.

Like a PP said I'm fairly certain it's for May the 4th be with you. For the last couple years, if I recall correctly, Disney has done something a little special in Hollywood Studios on the 4th. Good luck finding the rate you are looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter