Need someone to laugh WITH me...

KimBean

DIS Veteran
So, we are blink away. Kids don't know we will tell them on Wednesday. I'm starting that slight pre-disney panic where I need to write packing lists, get all the supplies, new clothes that are needed etc... And this time there is the complication of keeping it a secret (I know, I know, but it was our last chance with our oldest and we've never done a surprise trip.)

We were pretty much wide open time wise, and in the last 3 hours my DH has committed us to a church event, and he is now working non-stop before the trip even the day before (he is self employed and has been really slow...)

So, I'm all supportive and say whatever you need to do honey. But, I start to get a little panicky and say, I'll just feel better when I have a few hours to write a really good list, and HE says...

"I really think you are overthinking all this..."

Yeah, you think? Not breaking news huh? Way to state the obvious. :rotfl2:

We fly out on the 13th with a party of 7, I've already began panicking.
Actually have some members already packing their suitcases! When the days dwindle down, I'll find myself asking everyone in my party if they have their socks and underwear. I know I will. Last time we went on this trip, everyone but myself and my sister forgot to pack that.

We fly out on the 13th with a party of 7, I've already began panicking.
Actually have some members already packing their suitcases! When the days dwindle down, I'll find myself asking everyone in my party if they have their socks and underwear. I know I will. Last time we went on this trip, everyone but myself and my sister forgot to pack that.

I always remember everything for everyone else. Last time it was my toothbrush... :rotfl2:

This is why I make a detailed packing list months in advance, adjust it at least a dozen times, and check it I don't know how many times when packing the suitcases. It also helps when you purchase staples like socks and underwear for the kids in advance so you can pack it, and don't have to worry about doing last minute washing. This also works for toothbrushes, and other small items you can pick up to 6 months in advance. It's the over planner and organizer in me that makes sure that everything is packed properly, even when plotting a surprise trip for the kids.

My husband cracks me up when he says stuff like that. I have to pack for three people, plus all of the things that we all share (toiletries, etc) and remember all of the Disney-specific things (autograph books, ponchos, Frogg Toggs, etc). He basically throws a few pairs of tees and shorts and underwear in his bag and he's done. And he looks at me like I'm some crazy over-packer! :rotfl2:

This is why I make a detailed packing list months in advance, adjust it at least a dozen times, and check it I don't know how many times when packing the suitcases.

i do this. we leave in 29 days or so and i've had detailed lists of what's in each bag, where it is and quantity since 4 months ago. at this point, things still needed or things requiring a double check before we walk out the door, are highlighted in fluorescent orange. my husband thinks i'm crazy but when he needs pepto, he can look it up in the planner and see it's in the pink suitcase, left side inner pocket, and in ziploc bag #2. :rotfl:

Can definitely laugh with you!

One interesting tid-bit, though. I am "The Mom," and have all the special touches, extra benedryl, disney specifics... - as are most of you. But I did something revolutionary on our last WDW trip:
I put out a few clothes for me and asked DH to pack for us instead of the other way around. :duck: It actually worked! ::yes:: It wasn't done my way, and we didn't have every just-in-case item I would have packed; but it's not like we were in the back-of-beyond without the ability to buy something needed. And I avoided the packing panic, and DH got a new appreciation for my packing, and we all had a great time at WDW and had everything we needed. :faint:
Just a thought - it was very freeing! Now for current "truth in advertising" you need to know that DH and I are packing as a team and are starting 2 weeks before departure for our upcoming trip. We've used the same packing list that we found through a DIS link for over 10 years - each trip there are some items crossed off as N/A; but unless it's N/A for about 5 trips in a row, it remains on the list for consideration.
Now back to our regularly scheduled WDW packing panic...

I too have the duty of packing, get in a packing panic but...I have a wonderful packing list. Ive been correcting and updating it now for the past few weeks and starting next week I will start packing. (We leave in 2 weeks).

If you feel like doing a search there is an ultimate packing list for WDW that I started with years ago and customized it for my family.

We always have a "bathroom bag" packed it has everything in the medicine cabinet and beyond. Before a big trip and especially WDW I empty it, restock anything that is needed and organize it a bit better. We take a lot of weekend trips and its great to know all those necessities are ready to go.

Good luck, take a few breathes, look up a few lists, and pack away. Most the things that people seem to forget you can usually purchase while there.

We went on a trip to see the kids and their spouses during thanksgiving. We returned home on Sunday the 30th of November. The suitcase is still in our room, because we wanted to be ready to pack for Disney on the 12th of December. I make very extensive lists of what to bring (for every trip, regardless of the location) ever since 33 years ago when we Honeymooned at Disneyworld and my wife accidently left a few key items. :) It's works very well. The last 2 months before a trip I write down everything I use that may be needed (like finger nail clippers, bandaids, etc..). That way there is little chance of missing things we may need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter