Need suggestions for MIL in wheelchair.

rbuzzotta

<font color=FF00CC>OKW until 2042<br><font color=t
Hi all,

WE are taking my MIL to WDW with us in April (she is 76). She had a stroke 6 years ago, has right sided paralysis and aphasia. She lives with SIL but she just had knee surgery so MIL is with us. We did not want to cancel our trip for fear our DD's would blame her so.................she is coming with us. She is very excited!!!

First of all, we are driving from MA..............yes, we will take it much slower than we normally would. We did tell her this but I don't think she realizes the length of the trip!!!

We are staying at BWV and I requested handicapped room. She will have her wheelchair.

I guess I am naive to getting around Disney with a person in a wheelchair although I have witnessed it MANY times!!!!

Any advice or suggestions on what might be best for her????

Thanks a bunch

For a first step (if you haven't already) check out the disABILITIES FAQs near the top of this board. That includes a link to a thread about boarding rides with moving walkways and also a link to the official Disney site, where you can download copies of the Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities for each park.
Also, check out the Epcot in a Wheelchair thread also stuck to the top of this board. Keep in mind that a lot of people who were posting to that thread were venting - so, it's all true, but may be a little more negative because of the venting.
If you have any specific questions, go right ahead and ask - that's what we're here for.

Thanks Sue...................I will check out al the information you suggested!!!

Any advice about the looooonnnnnnggggg drive?? WE have done it several times but not with MIL.

I want to make this trip fun for her. She hasn't gotten out much since her stroke and could use a change of scenery. WE last took her to WDW almost 11 years ago (oldest DD was 3 and she is now almost 14). We had a great time.....................

thanks and I will be reading all the info you told me tooo!!

For the long drive how about borrowing a portable DVD player if you don't have one. Play Disney videos so MIL has some idea about the new things at Disney. I envy your WDW trip but not the drive down. I'm a terrible passenger, at times I think Dh would like to put me in the trunk! :earboy2:

Traveling long distances in the car is one of my biggest problems. I have bone tumors and not being able to move around can get really painful. Our drive is only 9 1/2 hours and we still have to do it in 2 days. We are lucky that we have family 4 hours from us and right off I-95 so it's almost exactly a half way stop for us. We leave in the evening of one day and rest overnight and then head out the next morning and get there for perfect check in. When I do have to travel for several hours, we simply stop every 1-2 hours and move around. Is your MIL able to sleep in the car? If so, maybe travel in the evening to start your trip and she could sleep some of the way, or like the other poster said, try a DVD to help pass the time. I slow our family trips up due to having to stop, but we just realize this and are happy I can still go along - lol! I think it's so great that you are wanting to make this trip great for MIL rather than feeling like she's a burden. Here's hoping your trip is wonderful with lots of magic along the way!!
Lisa
Tiger Fan

If you belong to AAA, they can make a travel plan for you (called a Trip Tic, the last time we did one). They can come up with the route, places to stop for meals and rest.

Thanks again. I do belong to AAA and plan to get a trip tik. WE have travelled this route many times and many times without a map!!! Yes, we have been brave. Our DD's are usually pretty good travellers. MIL is getting excited and I believe is realizing the length of the trip but is being optimistic. Normally she sits all day at home. Up and dressed at 7:30 and bedtime at 9 PM. She may doze off sitting for a few minutes here and there thruout the day.

I just think it will be fun for her and great for my DD's. Something they can look back on in years about how much fun they had with their Nonnie at WDW. WE only had DD #1 when she came with us before!

I'm just returning from a week long trip to Disney with most of my extended family. That included two grandfathers using rented scooters for the first time and me in my powerchair (used it the last 2 years). One of the grandfathers is in poor health with ALS and has limited hand control or stamina. He flew down Sunday from Columbus, OH to Orlando only to find the airline took his scooter apart and lost some of the parts. He was limited to a borrowed manual chair for a day and a rented scooter for the week.

The other grandfather (actually my dad) has generally good health but leg pain and limited walking ability. We rented a scooter for him for the week and had to figure out how to load it and my powerchair in the same minivan. Our car is a lowered floor rampvan, but squeezing a scooter and powerchair in was a tight fit.

My dad and I also travel by car from Maryland to Orlando and back again. We do no more than 400 miles per day, stop and stretch when we need to, and stop for the night at hotel chains with accessible rooms. Often, we make little side trips on our stops to sight see, eat at a new restaurant, etc. We stopped at the World Golf Resort in St. Augustine day before our arrival and took in 2 IMAX movies plus dinner at the CaddyShack. And we checked out a new roadside diner with lots of Southern charm in Rocky Mount, NC. Along the way, we load up the 6 cd changer with music (Disney music on the way down and warm summer music on the way back). Some folks listen to books on cd. My sibs load up DVDs in portable DVD players or laptops for the kids to watch.

In Disney, nothing really went wrong for our group (22 members strong with some in their 70's and others in their temperamental youth). The grandfather with ALS had some trouble steering his scooter around tight turns. Scooters are harder to maneuver than powerchairs as they have a bigger turning radius. He ran into several curbs, railings and walls in the entry queues. My dad went slower and only ran into clueless people who cut into his path unexpectedly.

All the shows in MGM and Animal Kingdom are scooter and wheelchair friendly. The tamer rides can handle powerchairs without transfer, some may require transferring to a borrowed manual chair. All rides can be stopped so disabled riders can transfer to a ride vehicle with no rush.

Only issues we did run into came when the younger, adventurous set wanted to do thrill rides. The grandfathers passed on the thrills and ended up waiting for us to finish. 2 hours later, when they were pretty well baked in the sun, you can imagine their frustration. If you're gonna do things that take longer than 20 minutes, split up into smaller groups. Send the thrillseekers on their ursuits and take the tamer set to a nice show. (In EPCOT, tamers can go see Universe of Energy or Living Seas while thrillseekers do Test Track and Mission: Space.)

Also, appoint at least one walker with your MIL for hard to navigate scenarios and help run interference. The exodus from Epcot after Illuminations always involves people cutting in front of you and giving you a dirty look for not stopping quick enough. Traveling with groups of a people, walkers tend to forget us riders often have to brake, swerve or slow down as pedestrians cut in front or cross over our path and separate us from our walking posse. Riders also ned to give and extra 6-10 inches distance between our wheels and walking feet. It's just too easy to roll over a toe when it's placed closer. To some walkers, that 6-10 inches looks like prime open space for cutting in.

The best bathrooms have no doors to enter. The worst have heavy doors, tight entryways, and handicap stalls that do not allow one to turn a wheelchair and lock the stall door. Make sure a walker is present to help hold doors, or wheelchair watch if your MIL needs to use a stall big enough for just her.

(SIDE NOTE: Moms, if you must take your small kids to the bathroom and use that large handicap stall, LEAVE IT and wash your hands or groom outside like everyone else. If I had a dime for every time I had to do the happy dance while a mom instructed her 3 kids to "wash your hands well" "tie your shoes" "tuck in your shirt" etc. while I waited for them to exit the only stall I could use...! I take small kids to the bathroom with me but never let them use that stall.)

Lastly, do a stamina check for your MIL. Your family may be able to do sun up to sun down non-stop, but she may not. Half days are good, or a day off between full days.

J;)

Tons and tons of rest stops! We drive from NH, and I don't do well being cramps in the car for that long. Also I believe someone else said it, but a portable DVD player helps a LOT!

When you get to the parks go to guest services, (I go to Town Hall at the MK) and ask them about the Guest Assistance cards. I have a walking disability and an autoimmune deficiency as well as having problems with sun/heat so they make great accomidations for me. Bring a Dr's note saying she cannot stand/walk in long lines etc and they should help ya out! If staying on premise try and avoid the busses if possible, I found they were difficult to navigate when using an ECV.

A BIG Thank you for the info BroganMc and kandeebunny.

We will be using her wheelchair (not a power one) and either me or DH will push her. WE are no longer park commandos since we joined DVC and we will be back in august for 2 weeks so what we don't see in April we can do in the summer!!

All these ideas are great and very helpful.....................

thanks again everyone

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter