• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need to change to a cheaper resort!

Tammy A

Mouseketeer
Unfortunately here in Minnesota, we have had a couple bad storms and I need to pay a deductible on a new roof. So I need to switch from our Animal Kingdom res to either Caribbean Beach (save $600), Coronado Springs (save $700) or all star movies preferred view (save $1000).
We are there middle of August (about 3 weeks and 3 days away). It is my daughter 19, and my boys 16 and 14 and me. I've already purchase tickets and we have our flight reservation.
What should I do?

Depends on what you want out of your resort..if its a bed and a shower than All Star Movies is a totally fine option. But if you want more typical resort amenities..restaurants, lounges, etc..Coronado is what I'd go with.

If ur going to be running in parks all day I’d say bite the bullet n save whatever you can ... where you think u guys can all get some sleep.
I’m not a value person ( and often stay AKL) but if I were at all stressed about finances I’d cut back the most u can.
Whatever u decide... have an Awesome time!!

How are the buses at Coronado Springs? Do they share with any one? The rooms look really nice. I wouldn't pay for a preferred view; maybe request the Cabana section?

How are the buses at Coronado Springs? Do they share with any one? The rooms look really nice. I wouldn't pay for a preferred view; maybe request the Cabana section?
There are 4 bus stops around the resort, but they do not share with any other resort.

We are going to Coronado at the beginning of August, I’m very excited!

I would say go to YouTube and check out some videos of CBR and CSR and see which of those two you think you would like. Both are nice in different ways.

CSR would be my first choice, never had a problem with buses. Second would be Pop.

I wouldn't go with All Star. The beds are double instead of queen. If POP is available, its,a really nice resort. I've stayed here 6 years straight. The roms,are "newly" remodeled. The rooms have a queen size bed and a queen size Murphy bed. The mattresses are the same in both beds. Even though there are no preferred rooms, standard are ok. Even if you happen to be assigned buildings further away from buses and food court, by cutting (walking) thru parking lot is more convenient. With the ages of your party, you would hAve no problem.

You can request a standard room in the 70s building. It's standard rooms and the walk isn't bad at all. Just remember it's a request but not guaranteed. POP does not share buses and only has one bus stop.

Have you thought of renting points at AKL? You can stay deluxe, but save a considerable amount. We stayed at Kidani (the DVC at AKL) and had a wonderful time! We rented through David's DVC, and things went smoothly. I just checked the calculator on that site, and the one night I checked three weeks out costs $272 a night, and there would be no tax on that (double check that - that was the way it was a couple of years ago.) I found that the moderate hotels, once the tax was taken into account, cost the same as staying DVC. The one concern I can think of is that the room would most likely have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. On the plus side, it would include a microwave and mini fridge, so you maybe could save some $ that way as well.

It may be late to be able to get a standard studio there, however you never know. Crunch the numbers - you can always submit your request if you decide to try, and they do get back to you quickly.

Another vote for CSR. It has plenty of amenities and the rooms have recently been renovated. Pretty resort, too.

I wouldn't go with All Star. The beds are double instead of queen. If POP is available, its,a really nice resort. I've stayed here 6 years straight. The roms,are "newly" remodeled. The rooms have a queen size bed and a queen size Murphy bed. The mattresses are the same in both beds. Even though there are no preferred rooms, standard are ok. Even if you happen to be assigned buildings further away from buses and food court, by cutting (walking) thru parking lot is more convenient. With the ages of your party, you would hAve no problem.

You can request a standard room in the 70s building. It's standard rooms and the walk isn't bad at all. Just remember it's a request but not guaranteed. POP does not share buses and only has one bus stop.
All Star Movies refurbished rooms have queen beds and are really nice. The one queen bed is a murphy bed so you can put it up in the day for more floor space. The bathroom is redone also with lots of storage.

All Star Movies refurbished rooms have queen beds and are really nice. The one queen bed is a murphy bed so you can put it up in the day for more floor space. The bathroom is redone also with lots of storage.

I am staying at AS Movies this October, and have stayed there before. I have also stayed at Pop. Can't beat AS Movies if you're trying to save money. We basically look at the room as a place to sleep and shower, with maybe some time by the pool, and maybe an evening movie outside. I love the theme-ing, and the new renos are great. Take a look at some YouTube reviews, as a PP suggested - that's a great idea.

Did you get your original reservation with the free dining promo? If so, you may not be able to change resorts and keep the promo. Although the % off promo may save you on the resort portion, the free dining is a lot more savings with a party of 4.

If no promo involved, I would go with the mod that gives you the best savings. You wont be in the room often, but when you are, youll want more space than a value resort gives.

Also consider booking through a travel agent that gives bigger discounts. I forget the name, but Im sure someone here can tell you about the "magical" agency.

Best of luck and sorry about your roof :(

With four people your ages, I’d got for CSR first just got room size. Value rooms were TIGHT for my party of three (myself and sons who were preteens our last value stay). I’ve shared moderate rooms at POR and CBR with 2 other adults and had much more room in those than in a value with two kids.

In addition, CSR has those sliding bath area doors giving more privacy.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

As stated above, All Star Movies has undergone renovations and has queen beds now. I would seriously stay there over CBR, as I will not stay at CBR after my last experience there (2 different rooms had a super strong stale cigarette smoke smell and the had no other rooms so we had to spend a night in one in the Martinique section). CSR is my absolute favorite resort, and I think your teenagers would like there isn't generally a ton of kids around, and the pool is actually REALLY nice! I never had an issue with buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter