Need to Resize a Photo? Free Program

Caskbill

<font color="blue">DVC-Operations<br>DVC-Planning<
On occassion we come across free programs that may be of interest to our DIS community and like to pass this information along.

Many users like to post photos, either in a specific posting, or as part of their signatures, but do not have a photo editing software program which gives them the capability to resize a photo, or to set it's compression (file size).

The DIS boards has specific guidelines for photo sizes when posted. For example, in the DIS Signature Guidelines you'll see that photos in a signature may not be more than 550 pixels wide by 200 pixels high. A maximum of 3 images can be used, and they cannot have a combined size of over 50K. All images count toward the maximum of three, except for Smiles. Images could be photos, countdown tickers, clipart, or any combination of images up to 3 maximum.

18721550x200_background.jpg

Normally photos are not twice as wide as they are high. The 550 width is allowed so that countdown tickers may be displayed. Your typical photo might be something like 300 pixels wide by 200 pixels high, or 250x200, or even 200x200 if it's a square photo. In no case may it exceed 200 pixels high.

18721WindowsAutumn267x200.jpg

You must size your photo properly before uploading it to your server. This is usually done through some type of photo editing software, but not all software has a resize capability. We know of a very nice free program that can be used to resize a photo and also, if necessary, set it's compression (file size).

The program is named PIXresizer, and was created by David De Groot. It is very simple to use and has good directions. A screenshot of the program is shown below:

pixresizer_stab.gif

This is not an endorsement of any kind, but only an informational post in the event you are interested in looking for something you can use.

The program will resize, and set compression settings, (and optionally, change format) only. It cannot be used to crop, reduce red-eye, change colors, etc.

If you would like to check out this program, or download it, you will find information about it HERE

The signature guidelines have changed, you can read the new guidelines here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=332080

We did post this on all the major boards, but we're looking at some ways to automate checking images and sizes so users will get immediate feedback when they edit their signatures. We may still need to tweak the numbers a bit.

The highlights of the new guidelines are:

* bigger total allowable graphic area, from 400x400 to 550x600 (divided into 3 separate individual image spaces of 550x200.)

* total allowed byte size of image is increased from 35K to 50K.

* Text lines allowed increase from 8 to 12 (blank lines have always been included in that count, although that was difficult to communicate and enforce in the past.)

Watch for more communications in the upcoming weeks. When we get the automated checks in place we'll be making a renewed effort to communicate and help users get in compliance with the guidelines.

aladdinhead.GIF

3211 bytes
56x63 pixels

I want to change my cheshire cat avatar to Aladdin. I think its small enough. I tried the program, but it said it couldn't find the pic. Can anyone help?

That image size is OK as is, you don't need to resize it.

Did you first download the picture to your computer before trying to resize it with PISresizer? It has to be on your computer first.

To use it as your avatar, the easiest is to download it to your computer first, then goto UserCP, Edit Avatar, select Custom, Browse to the picture, and click the save button.

To download a picture to your computer, simply right click on the image where you see it, and select save picture as.

Does this help?

ok, please forgive my ignorance ... is my picture ok or too big? I keep seeing different sizes! Thanks bunches!

lynetteSC said:
ok, please forgive my ignorance ... is my picture ok or too big? I keep seeing different sizes! Thanks bunches!

Yours is a lill big,
550 pixels wide by 200 pixels high

The highest it should be is 200 and no wider than 550.

The 50th pic in my sig is only 319 wide but it is 200 high, if I was to make it 550 wide it would be 345 high not within the guidlines.

Hope that helps :earsboy:

Yours would look like this at the right size.

DLhelp-1.jpg

lynetteSC said:
thanks grumpy! :)

NP at all. :cool1:

Though you should put in on a server of your choice, the only reason is if I ever drop or fill up at Photobucket, other wise I dont mind. :flower:

Okay, I know my pic is too big, and to top it off, I'm not great at all this technical stuff. I belong to snapfish and photobucket. Once I have my pictures on those, can I then resize at this site? And, I'm confused...exactly WHAT size am I supposed to have?

Thanks!!

OKAY, I RESIZED IT AND IT GOT ALL FUZZY AND WASN'T MUCH SMALLER. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? UGH!

leahannpen said:
And, I'm confused...exactly WHAT size am I supposed to have?

Thanks!!

OKAY, I RESIZED IT AND IT GOT ALL FUZZY AND WASN'T MUCH SMALLER. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? UGH!

First on the size, if you read up here 3 posts I have explained the sizes.

2nd, what program did you try and use to resize?

And with some of the resize programs when you do reisize it they do not offer any variables to touchup a pic, like to resharpen them to get rid of the fuzzys/bluring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter