Need to vent about how expensive WDW is now

One hint on park passes, you can save a bit on them between buying from an authorized resaler and choosing your start dates. I used the Touring Plans Ticket Calculator and it suggested that I buy tickets with a start date earlier than my real start date. That’s because Disney prices tickets depending on your start date and my actual start date was more expensive than one a couple days earlier but the tickets were good for my entire time. I think I ended up with tickets from Boardwalk Ticketing.
Okay, I did not know this. I have spent approximately 474,583,091 hours planning Disney trips in the past, and I have never heard of this trick. I have used authorized resalers (Undercover Tourist), but did not realize that the start date I enter would make a big difference, or that I could fudge the start date by a little bit. So, hypothetically speaking, if I want my dates to be March 21-25, could I use a start date of March 15 and be ok?

Park tickets. Multiday tickets - imo this is the greatest increase over the past several years. What is different? Per day costs used to drop considerably when adding day 3, 4, 5….That has changed. Not very long ago our hoppers averaged $45/day or $60/day. Last few trips over $100/day. Guests in the park are paying no matter what ticket they are on. AllEars has good historical pricing charts. Multiday has shot up in costs.

Okay, I did not know this. I have spent approximately 474,583,091 hours planning Disney trips in the past, and I have never heard of this trick. I have used authorized resalers (Undercover Tourist), but did not realize that the start date I enter would make a big difference, or that I could fudge the start date by a little bit. So, hypothetically speaking, if I want my dates to be March 21-25, could I use a start date of March 15 and be ok?

Moving ticket date can help. WDW has shrunk the amount of ‘non-park day’ allowances but still possible to move your ticket back 1-3 days and maybe save $20/ticket. Just make sure all the days you plan to be in the park are covered.

Ticket price increases have gotten out of hand. So next trip we bought UK tickets instead of from our usual Boardwalk Ticketing. Our December trip is $802 for 5 day hopper. INSANITY! We got 7 Day hoppers for $645 from UK’s attractiontickets. Oh and they also include Memory Maker which we always spend $170 on and just went up to $185. And comes with free plain magicbands you can pick up in Disney Springs.

So we saved over $150/ticket AND got 2 more park days. And if we really wanted those tickets also come with 7 entitlements for waterpark/minigolf. They also have 15 day window to use the ticket, unlike USA ticket would’ve only given us 10 or 11 days. Our first planned park day is Dec 17 - but UK ticket had 2 ticket prices for month of Dec. If first park day is Dec 12 or later it was +$50 each. So we put Dec 11 and the ticket is good until Dec 25 or 26.

I think now it has to get to 6 or 7 days with the tickets to see that price relief that used to be at 4-5 days.

A 5 day ticket is only good for 8 days. That is, your last park day must be no more than 8 days after your start date on your ticket. March 15th is too far. The earliest you can book a 5 day ticket from March 21 - March 25 is March 18th. A March 18th ticket has an end date of March 25th.

FWIW, I've found Boardwalk Ticketing to be cheaper than UC, even with the Mousesavers discount.

When you go to the calendar to select your dates when buying tickets it should show you per day prices and the window of validity when you click a start date for the ticket you're looking at so you can quickly see the cheapest ticket that will cover your dates.

A 5 day ticket is only good for 8 days. That is, your last park day must be no more than 8 days after your start date on your ticket. March 15th is too far. The earliest you can book a 5 day ticket from March 21 - March 25 is March 18th. A March 18th ticket has an end date of March 25th.

FWIW, I've found Boardwalk Ticketing to be cheaper than UC, even with the Mousesavers discount.
I second this, I would use Boardwalk Ticketing vs Mousesavers as I also tend to always get ours cheaper at Boardwalk compared to Mousesavers.

I don’t know how people afford WDW anymore. The ticket prices alone are insane. $500 per person for a 3 day non park hopper for March. You would think that people would be priced out, but when you go to the parks, they are still packed.

OP, we stopped going to Disney and started cruising on the Disney fantasy. We just sailed on a 7 night for $3200 on an OGT rate. So much more affordable than the parks and so much more relaxing. Good luck with your trip!
I know that I've certainly been priced out, as has my entire family. It used to be something you could save up for, and maybe it would be a once in a 10 year trip. At the current prices, it can't even be a once in a lifetime trip.

It was bad even before this last round of increases, but now it's just a pipe dream. That's not even factoring in the higher cost for life in general, which makes it even harder to save for anything. I honestly don't know how people can afford to go, even living close (we don't).

Park tickets. Multiday tickets - imo this is the greatest increase over the past several years. What is different? Per day costs used to drop considerably when adding day 3, 4, 5….That has changed. Not very long ago our hoppers averaged $45/day or $60/day. Last few trips over $100/day. Guests in the park are paying no matter what ticket they are on. AllEars has good historical pricing charts. Multiday has shot up in costs.

Moving ticket date can help. WDW has shrunk the amount of ‘non-park day’ allowances but still possible to move your ticket back 1-3 days and maybe save $20/ticket. Just make sure all the days you plan to be in the park are covered.

Ticket price increases have gotten out of hand. So next trip we bought UK tickets instead of from our usual Boardwalk Ticketing. Our December trip is $802 for 5 day hopper. INSANITY! We got 7 Day hoppers for $645 from UK’s attractiontickets. Oh and they also include Memory Maker which we always spend $170 on and just went up to $185. And comes with free plain magicbands you can pick up in Disney Springs.

So we saved over $150/ticket AND got 2 more park days. And if we really wanted those tickets also come with 7 entitlements for waterpark/minigolf. They also have 15 day window to use the ticket, unlike USA ticket would’ve only given us 10 or 11 days. Our first planned park day is Dec 17 - but UK ticket had 2 ticket prices for month of Dec. If first park day is Dec 12 or later it was +$50 each. So we put Dec 11 and the ticket is good until Dec 25 or 26.
I'm interested in this...... now I need to find out how!

I don’t know… your post could have been helpful, but the first couple of sentences seem to brag. Might have been good info if you left that out.

Even if you saved 20% of your trip, it would mean you would have spent 30k without discounts.

I’ll let it go here…
I did come across like that. If you spent 25k on one trip and additionally go 4 times a year then you are probably not concerned with the cost of WDW.

Why anyone would want to spend that much on WDW and take 4 trips a year is beyond me but to each their own. I hope they go to other places too.

I don’t know how people afford WDW anymore. The ticket prices alone are insane. $500 per person for a 3 day non park hopper for March. You would think that people would be priced out, but when you go to the parks, they are still packed.

OP, we stopped going to Disney and started cruising on the Disney fantasy. We just sailed on a 7 night for $3200 on an OGT rate. So much more affordable than the parks and so much more relaxing. Good luck with your trip!
Cruising is a much better value. Even a European vacation is a better value than WDW.

I did come across like that. If you spent 25k on one trip and additionally go 4 times a year then you are probably not concerned with the cost of WDW.

Why anyone would want to spend that much on WDW and take 4 trips a year is beyond me but to each their own. I hope they go to other places too.
I know, right? I like WDW fine, but we go lots of other places, too. We're departing for Maui this afternoon. Meanwhile the kids are lobbying for Iceland and New Zealand for upcoming trips...

Prices are crazy, I made the mistake of one day figuring out how much it cost me to ride each attraction at DAK. Do you live in the UK? I looked at a site but was not sure if Disney would honor the tickets since I don't live in the UK. I'd hate to buy a ticket and then not be able to use it or have to upgrade it at a park.

I'm interested in this...... now I need to find out how!

https://www.attractiontickets.com/en

F739517F-C04A-428F-9EA2-B7BF94772057.jpeg

W bought back in Feb 2023 during a 7% off sale. They regularly have 5-10% off sales, like if you don’t see one check back the next week and usually something comes along.

We paid by credit card. Once full payment made (you can put small deposit until you’re 100% sure about your trip), then you’ll get electronic tickets. WE’ve recently added our to mydisneyexperience and made our park reservations. There is no need to validate these tickets and residence (they are NOT like Florida resident tickets).

These UK WDW ticket deals only come in 7 or 14 day options. They also have combo tix WDW/OU. For our trip the 7 day ticket was $645usd billed to our credit card, the 14 looked to be just under $700 but too long for us lol. We originally only wanted 5 day hoppers but they were ~$800 - yikes. So we did this instead.

Prices are crazy, I made the mistake of one day figuring out how much it cost me to ride each attraction at DAK. Do you live in the UK? I looked at a site but was not sure if Disney would honor the tickets since I don't live in the UK. I'd hate to buy a ticket and then not be able to use it or have to upgrade it at a park.

This was always my concern but with the crazy prices this year I researched the heck out of it. Many familiar people from these boards reported back having no issue using tickets, and they worked just like any other 3rd party broker. If you have MDE set up and add these tickets, you just go to the first park tapstyle as normal. No need to do anything different than if bought from UT or BW tickets, etc.

https://www.attractiontickets.com/en

View attachment 811340

W bought back in Feb 2023 during a 7% off sale. They regularly have 5-10% off sales, like if you don’t see one check back the next week and usually something comes along.

We paid by credit card. Once full payment made (you can put small deposit until you’re 100% sure about your trip), then you’ll get electronic tickets. WE’ve recently added our to mydisneyexperience and made our park reservations. There is no need to validate these tickets and residence (they are NOT like Florida resident tickets).

These UK WDW ticket deals only come in 7 or 14 day options. They also have combo tix WDW/OU. For our trip the 7 day ticket was $645usd billed to our credit card, the 14 looked to be just under $700 but too long for us lol. We originally only wanted 5 day hoppers but they were ~$800 - yikes. So we did this instead.
Thank you! I just looked at the site. With the Black Friday discount, it looks like a 7 day hopper with Memory Maker would be about $636 US$ for my dates. It's not bad! But I wouldn't use the Memory Maker. I have a ways to go, so I am definitely going to keep watching. I really only need 4-5 days, and not even a hopper, but if the prices are close... Appreciate the information!

Thank you! I just looked at the site. With the Black Friday discount, it looks like a 7 day hopper with Memory Maker would be about $636 US$ for my dates. It's not bad! But I wouldn't use the Memory Maker. I have a ways to go, so I am definitely going to keep watching. I really only need 4-5 days, and not even a hopper, but if the prices are close... Appreciate the information!
Yeah the week we’re going (Dec 15-23) is some of the highest ticket prices all year.

DVC was lower point season so that helped too. We added a few more days to our trip after getting the UK tix deal.

Disney has always been an expensive vacation but lately it does feel insane. Especially now with G+ and ILL (which I know isn't required but it's important for us to skip lines)

If I go to Disney I want to do Disney a certain way. Stay onsite, go for at least 8-9 days, minimal line waits (so G= is a must), no cooking and no driving. We have talked about doing weekend trips for MNSSHP or something like that but I wouldn't count that as "big" Disney trip. It would be like any other weekend trip we take during the year.

How we manage to still go is we don't go every year and we don't go as a family of four anymore. We go about every 2-4 years. We do other trips as a family the off years and still manage another trip the year we do Disney. I go with either DD17 or SO separately. Paying for two is much cheaper. We've given up some TS meals to offset the cost of G= and ILL.

The only way we will go as a family of 4 again is when my kids can and choose to pay their own way. DS23 has been traveling with his GF and friends and Disney isn't really on his radar right now. That's not where he chooses to put his money at this time and I understand.

My kids are going with their dad to Disney in a few weeks. Their dad will be there for a wedding at the GF with his DW and DD4 (my kids aren't going to the wedding). There's a whole itinerary the bride has set up for the week so they are partaking in some of it. They are all staying offsite and doing MVMCP and two additional park days. My son didn't really want to go due to costs but wants to be there for his little sisters first Disney trip so he is paying for his own two day park ticket and airfare. Their dad paid for the hotel room, DS MVMCP ticket and is paying for all of DD17 trip. They are excited but my son is comparing how the costs for 4/5 days in Florida with only 2.5 park days would/could cost him more than his all inclusive in DR cost for an entire week. It actually would've been more than his DR trip had his father not paid for the hotel and MVMCP ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter