Need to vent! School Days Missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brook1099

DIS Veteran
yesterday I had emailed the school to let them know our dates for our upcoming trip, letting them know I was contacting the kids teachers to prepare for homework.
Now we have gone to Disney since 2004 have taken the kids out of school, generaly for about 9days each year, except for last year it was only 4 because in NJ we had a whole week of school instead of the usual 2 days.( that was great. We are not even off for Veterans Day this year. So they will miss 10 days.
I know that is a long time, but it is the only time we can go, my DH has his own business. We have a timeshare we use for 1 week and Disneys for another.

I have never had a problem, now I just got an email from the principal saying she would like to set up a meeting concerning these days.
ok I emailed her back, saying a phone call will be fine at her convenience. I will not make a special trip in to the school to discuss this. My children are well behaved, honor roll students who do very well in school. So I don't know what a meeting is going to change this year, because I am not changing my vacation times, so I hope they dont think so. Next year I could try to shorten our time, not this one.

thank u for the vent!

Feel free to vent away! My kids will miss 7 days for our upcoming trip, so I hope I don't get into a situation such as yours. May I ask how old your kids are and how much notice you gave? We're going the week after Thanksgiving, and I would like them to get their work ahead of time to maybe work on it over their break.

Let us know how the conversation goes! I am sorry you are having to deal with this, as vacations are supposed to be stress-free! :)

What is the scholl's policy on days missed for vacation? Has it changed? Did you read it before maknig trip reservations? Here if you took a child out for 9 days, you could cover 4 of them with a parent note, but after that they would be unexcused and result in zeros for all missed work including tests. The 5th unexcused absence is a definite loss of all credit for the semester in middle and high school, and up to the principal's descretion as to wether to hold back the child in elementary school. Their grades would be pretty bad anyway, even if they were A students before, with all of those zeros. Most parnets feel that it is not worth all of that so they schedule thier trips when the kids are off. I don't get the attitdue thatwhat the school says doesn't matter. They are responsible for the eduaction of the children in thier charge, so I would think that they would have some kind of say in the attendance rules. Going in with a hostile attitude will only make the situation worse. If it were me, I would explian the situation to the principal and see if there is any leeway to be had. Being confrontational and telling him/her what you are and aren't gonig to do is not going to win you any points or get him/her to excercise and discertion they might have in your favor.

popcorn::
OP - get your suit on.

Let me start by staying that I do take my children out of school. However, I am very familiar with the school handbook and abide by it. 10 days seems like a lot of time for a teacher to have to pre-prepare. My DD's school has a policy of not handing out anything ahead of time. They make it up upon their return. I would think 10 days would be very hard to make up. What grades are your children in? I understand you are limited in the vacation dates but if you are breaking the handbook, there is no reason you had to go to Disney. Or, maybe you could have shortened your trip to be in compliance? I would never tell a principal, a phone call would be just fine when they asked for a face to face meeting. Seems very disrespectful to me.

Good luck.

Go ahead & vent away.

I am here in the hospital with my poor DD16 (a senior). She has already missed more than 10 school days this year due to her illness & being hospitalized. How I wish I could just take her to WDW right now (I have always pulled mine out every year with NO regrets).

You only live once & have no idea what the future will bring.

Wishing you an awesome trip!

I am on your side. I think a phone call is more than adequate and if your students are on honor roll and well behaved then I see no problem. Its amazing that some brats are suspended or skip, or fake being sick G and thats no problem, but heaven forbid that you want to take your children on a trip. I think that sometimes these school are a bit crazy. There are MY children, I think I should be able to decide if and when they miss school.

Yes, I know I will be flamed. Thats cool, I have never had a problem being yelled at. It would be a different story if this was something that happened monthly, but once a year sounds reasonable.

Good luck!

I have to agree with ccgirl. The school year is only 180 days long and to miss 10 for vacation seems like a lot. This is the last year we go with my sister and her kids because they are too old to miss more than a couple days of school. So our trips will either be during breaks or separate.

I also agree that's is disrespectful for you to tell the Principal to just call you. Obviously it important enough for her to make time to meet with you, you should do the same.

I hope it goes ok. Try to enjoy your trip with your family:thumbsup2
However, I could also use some advice: I am in a similar situation and we don't know what to do. We own our business and winter is typically the only time to travel. We don't want to face the crowds and price increase at Christmas, so are considering the beginning of Dec. for our annual WDW trip. DD is in 3rd grade and missed 2 days for pink eye earlier this month(not allowed to attend anyway due to contagiousness). Last year she had perfect attendance! But, the school has a ten day (cummulative) absence policy. We don't want to get in "trouble" but also value our family vacation time. If we missed 5 days for vacation, basically she can't get sick for the rest of the year:confused3 Not sure what to do. Any (flameless) advice would be appreciated. :cloud9:

I gave two weeks notice, and spoke of it on back to school night to childrens teachers.( didnt seem to be a problem) Their ages are 9 and 10. If this was the first time doing so I would understand the concern, what the principal told me at the school today, it was a teachers concern.She did seem to think I was going to change something but I did tell her the trip is paid, two weeks away and I will talk to the teachers as planned. One teacher we have already had and know it is not a problem her. So possibly the other one. A differentteacher I was talking too as well did tell the principal "these two are wonderful students and I am sure they will be fine" that was very nice of her to step in and say. She is supposed to call tomorrow. So will see.

School absence policy: A child absent must present a written excuse, signed by the parent/guardian, stating the reason for the absence. A student that accumulates (30) thirty unexcused absenses may be retained as per policy #5410

That is 6% of the school year. It would be wrong to say this isn't a lot. That isn't to say a kid can't survive it, but a school should be concerned with attendance. Hope your call goes ok.

However, I could also use some advice: I am in a similar situation and we don't know what to do. We own our business and winter is typically the only time to travel. We don't want to face the crowds and price increase at Christmas, so are considering the beginning of Dec. for our annual WDW trip. DD is in 3rd grade and missed 2 days for pink eye earlier this month(not allowed to attend anyway due to contagiousness). Last year she had perfect attendance! But, the school has a ten day (cummulative) absence policy. We don't want to get in "trouble" but also value our family vacation time. If we missed 5 days for vacation, basically she can't get sick for the rest of the year:confused3 Not sure what to do. Any (flameless) advice would be appreciated. :cloud9:
Have you already booked it? The reason I ask is that is the week I am going and there is not of availability left. Personally, I would not chance it. You can make happy family memories as staycations too. You don't have to go to Disney. That policy seems very strict though. Is it 10 cumulative days total or 10 unexcused? In my DD's school they are all unexcused unless accompanied by a dr's note.

Good luck with your decision.

I gave two weeks notice, and spoke of it on back to school night to childrens teachers.( didnt seem to be a problem) Their ages are 9 and 10. If this was the first time doing so I would understand the concern, what the principal told me at the school today, it was a teachers concern.She did seem to think I was going to change something but I did tell her the trip is paid, two weeks away and I will talk to the teachers as planned. One teacher we have already had and know it is not a problem her. So possibly the other one. A differentteacher I was talking too as well did tell the principal "these two are wonderful students and I am sure they will be fine" that was very nice of her to step in and say. She is supposed to call tomorrow. So will see.

School absence policy: A child absent must present a written excuse, signed by the parent/guardian, stating the reason for the absence. A student that accumulates (30) thirty unexcused absenses may be retained as per policy #5410

Wow...that is a very lenient policy. Since you are well within that guidelines there should be no problem. I would probably just try to give more notice next time. The new teacher might have been frustrated only two weeks was given to prepare 2 weeks of work. Not sure if that was the case or not. Typically, I give 2 months notice. Then I send in a note a week in advance to remind them.

Have fun!

You certainly can go, but I would never expect teachers to have to go through all the trouble giving you 10 days of work! At our school, you make it up when you get back. And although you have the right to take them, the teachers do not have to give them the chance to make up the work, so they could end up with a lot of zeros. I'm guessing your children are pretty young if you are planning to take them out for 10 days in a row - that would mean failure in our JH/HS. How do your kids feel? They're the ones who will be struggling when you get back.

I know that our school system definitely frowns upon these types of things too. I have taken my boys out for the past few years during a week where there is a day off for some reason or another. They do not provide school work and the boys have to make it up when they return.

Wow! 30 days is lenient!

Last year Lainey missed 14 days due to sickness and a business trip. This year, she will miss 6 planned days due to the business trip and a wedding. So we have had to plan our Disney trip during her spring break, which is in the middle of March. At this point last year she had missed 5 or 6 days of school, thus far she hasn't missed any, so I'm hopeful that she won't have too many sick days. Our school starts sending letters home about appearing before a judge and possibly holding the child back at 10 absences, no matter the reason.

You certainly can go, but I would never expect teachers to have to go through all the trouble giving you 10 days of work! At our school, you make it up when you get back. And although you have the right to take them, the teachers do not have to give them the chance to make up the work, so they could end up with a lot of zeros. I'm guessing your children are pretty young if you are planning to take them out for 10 days in a row - that would mean failure in our JH/HS. How do your kids feel? They're the ones who will be struggling when you get back.

That's exactly how it is in my DD's school and I completely agree with it. Why should a teacher have to do extra work so we can go on vacation? My DD7 is in 2nd grade and gets the same number of days to make up the work as we missed. For example, if she missed 5 days she would have 5 days to make up the work. Any tests given during those weeks are not made up and are given a grade of '0' though. I have to sit with her and go thru any in school work so she is prepared for the homework. I only have 1 child, I can only imagine how much work the poor OP is going to have to help with, with 2 children.

they do make up the homework when they get back, and have not had a problem doing so, if they did I certainly would not take them out for this amount of time. Verbal notice was given at back to school night that is 3 weeks after school starts, written two weeks notice, I think that is more than enough notice, whether I was was asking for homework prior or not.

wanted to vent I did and I feel much better ,thanks

Have you already booked it? The reason I ask is that is the week I am going and there is not of availability left. Personally, I would not chance it. You can make happy family memories as staycations too. You don't have to go to Disney. That policy seems very strict though. Is it 10 cumulative days total or 10 unexcused? In my DD's school they are all unexcused unless accompanied by a dr's note.

ccgirl- Thanks for your reply! The policy sounds similar to your DD's school. They are all unexcused unless accompanies by a DR. note, the doctor's office wouldn't let my daughter come in because of the pink eye, and diagnosed her over the phone and called in the prescription. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't ask for a note. I suppose I could call retroactively and get one though. We haven't booked yet, still searching for airfare.. sounds like my decision may be made now though if there's no availablitiy at the resorts for that week. Oh well, I just wish absences could be made case by case as my child has wonderful grades and behavior. It will work out I'm sure. Thanks again!

I don't know if your school is like ours here in Ohio, but the kids in our district are allowed to miss 9 "parent-excused days." If the child misses more than that, the child better have a dr's excuse.

Go ahead & vent away.

I am here in the hospital with my poor DD16 (a senior). She has already missed more than 10 school days this year due to her illness & being hospitalized. How I wish I could just take her to WDW right now (I have always pulled mine out every year with NO regrets).

You only live once & have no idea what the future will bring.

Wishing you an awesome trip!

:thumbsup2 hope dd gets well soon!

ccgirl- Thanks for your reply! The policy sounds similar to your DD's school. They are all unexcused unless accompanies by a DR. note, the doctor's office wouldn't let my daughter come in because of the pink eye, and diagnosed her over the phone and called in the prescription. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't ask for a note. I suppose I could call retroactively and get one though. We haven't booked yet, still searching for airfare.. sounds like my decision may be made now though if there's no availablitiy at the resorts for that week. Oh well, I just wish absences could be made case by case as my child has wonderful grades and behavior. It will work out I'm sure. Thanks again!

In my experience, when we started getting harassment from the school, and I wanted to speak to the Principal about it (at the time, the policy was not clearly stated, it said "excessive" absences. Anyway, the principal (whom we don't like at all) could not believe that we did not take our daughter into the doctor every time she was sick. Our school has a very strict fever policy, it is 99.9, and they must be fever free for 24 hours. Which annoys the doctors because they are overworked as it is with actual sickness without having to see kids who have low fevers. After 3 days, they have to have a doctors note. So, if it does come up, you should have no problems getting notes from your doctor for previous absences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter