Need travel insurance advice...

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
My dh and two kids are going to the UK next month for 4 weeks. During the trip we'll be taking 3 flights, a ferry and renting a car. My dh will drive. I could use some recommendations for travel insurance and general advice for choosing it. I especially want to be careful since DS7 has a tendency towards getting sick on trips. When we travel in the states I'm able to easily deal with it but I'm nervous this time since we'll be in a foreign country. Thanks.

Insure my trip will get you started.

And try not to be too nervous. While the UK is a foreign country, their medical services are on par with the US. Should anything happen, you should be able to get good care.

Another site I use is GeoBlue. It’s only for medical insurance but it’s an option if you are only looking for medical insurance. I bought a plan for our trip to Africa and it was only $12 pp for up to 100k of coverage with 50k medical evacuation. We have credit cards with additional travel coverages so you may want to look into what your credit cards carry. Some require you to use to book your travel and some will cover you even if you don’t.

Review what, if anything*, your current health insurance will cover overseas. Pick travel insurance to cover things that your health insurance won't. No need to double cover. Check how they deal with pre-existing condition coverage. You're wasting your money if the reason for getting coverage, isn't covered.

*The review of your health insurance is critical. People just assume their insurance won't cover them outside the U.S. , and that may not be true. Our rather poor quality health insurance does cover treatments if you are overseas. The rep was questioned about it and his answer made a lot of sense. "Medical procedures tend to be cheaper outside the U.S. so we save money by covering you while you are out of the U.S."

Review what, if anything*, your current health insurance will cover overseas. Pick travel insurance to cover things that your health insurance won't. No need to double cover. Check how they deal with pre-existing condition coverage. You're wasting your money if the reason for getting coverage, isn't covered.

*The review of your health insurance is critical. People just assume their insurance won't cover them outside the U.S. , and that may not be true. Our rather poor quality health insurance does cover treatments if you are overseas. The rep was questioned about it and his answer made a lot of sense. "Medical procedures tend to be cheaper outside the U.S. so we save money by covering you while you are out of the U.S."

I’ll have to double check my health insurance policy, but I’m pretty sure it does not include evacuation coverage. That’s my main concern if I’m somewhere with poor health care. I would hate to have a major accident and not be able to get to a decent hospital.

We have successfully and without problem used AIG Travelguard. You can purchase the level of protection you want.

I’ll have to double check my health insurance policy, but I’m pretty sure it does not include evacuation coverage. That’s my main concern if I’m somewhere with poor health care. I would hate to have a major accident and not be able to get to a decent hospital.
Yes, evacuation, depending on where you are traveling, could be a consideration. But I suspect being in the U.K. there will be lots of great medical facilities everywhere you might be. So for OP that may not be an issue.
Another issue to consider is if you are on Medicare. Straight Medicare does not cover medical care outside the U.S. HOWEVER, if you have turned your Medicare over to a Medicare Advantage, it may very well cover you overseas. But you NEED to check.

Travel medical insurance is a common occurrence for Canadians. Because we travel down south so regularly.

A few ins and outs of the medical part (and this is in general, not anything to do with the UK)---

*First, you might never need to utilize any of these points. It is simply for your information, it is not to scare you by any means.

*One of the most important choices is to fully reading your policy - or better yet ask to do that ahead of time so that you completely understand. Do not take a company's - or any broker's - take on the policy. Read it yourself.

*The biggest issue in understanding policies is most do not cover pre-existing conditions. If someone in your party has a serious - even a not so serious condition - search out for a policy that has coverage for pre-existing conditions. They are usually more expensive and not as common. Also, there is often a monetary limit on claims for pre-existing conditions. Just know that.

*Also know that insurance agencies can make the call on these pre-existing conditions. Their own call. For example, someone can have dementia and can fall. They might have fallen because they simply tripped. However, it doesn't matter from the insurance agency's viewpoint. They are known to tie in outcomes to one's pre-existing condition.

*Know your own medical record. They have complete access to it if there is a claim. And a change, any change, in medication can be a big deal with pre-existing policies - sometimes there are clauses about the policy being null and void with changes in medication. Just know your policy.

*If there is something that you need to claim for do know most policies state that they need to be phoned immediately, when using their coverage. And some policies state they must okay certain medical choices/scans. Obviously this goes right out the window if someone is unconscious. And not all companies are so strict about it, just know.

*Watch your dates on policy. Some do not seem to count days as simply as we do, insert smile. I would buy one or two days beyond. I went to extend a yearly policy once and was told it had already expired that day. My math was not their special math on the number of days on vacation. :rolleyes:

*Air ambulance and ambulance coverage are a big deal. Make sure that they are in your policy. A lot of stories of people being stuck with payments are from these possibilities.

*Always know that insurance agencies and medical institutions play shell games with each other when settling. Always know you too can negotiate payments when they are billed to you, just like they do with each other - if something is outside the policy. Even if someone doesn't have coverage, you can do that as well.

I know this all seems like doom and gloom. And many people never have an issue when needing to make claims, there are some great companies. Heck most don't even need to make a claim. But unfortunately I did and it wasn't pretty. My father was travelling in your country and I thought he was having a stroke, begged him to get immediate medical assistance. He had glioblastoma multiforme, brain cancer. I learned the ins and outs of his policy and the insurance agencies very quickly and over the next year fighting with insurance and those looking for their payments. If you ever need to make a claim the best advice, if anyone bothers you with bills/phone calls, is to tell those trying to settle a bill to stop phoning and deal with the insurance company. And vice versa. Often the insurance company is arguing with the providers about their invoice, and not paying. There are also ombudsmen to challenge a decision.

You'll probably never need an ounce of this information OP, but it never hurts to be informed.

Have an absolutely wonderful vacation.

Last edited:
Go the aforementioned web-site, and get full coverage, door-to-door trip insurance.
Do NOT rely on your credit cards, the airlines, etc...
Just do it....

Go the aforementioned web-site, and get full coverage, door-to-door trip insurance.
Do NOT rely on your credit cards, the airlines, etc...
Just do it....

I used to think this, but we recently upgraded to a credit card that has what is enough coverage for us (Chase Sapphire Reserve). It's quite a bit more comprehensive than most cards. One thing it does NOT cover is pre-existing conditions. It doesn't consider conditions managed with stable medication pre-existing, but I will have to be careful not to book anything within 3 months of a change (it's 3 months from booking, not traveling). I imagine we will age out of this kind of coverage eventually, but for now it appears to be enough. We already have health insurance that covers travel.

It doesn't consider conditions managed with stable medication pre-existing, but I will have to be careful not to book anything within 3 months of a change (it's 3 months from booking, not traveling).

Great information Tasha.

And heads up for anyone with pre-existing conditions. I bought a policy for my mom and after reading it I realized it was any change in medication on hers, ie. even lowering a dose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter