• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Your expert advice!

skorpie

Love the magic
We just got back at 3 AM from staying as a renter at OKW. My husband has agreed to buying into DVC. Here's where I'm stuck.

My husband just LOVED VWL. I preferred BWV. Everyone seems to say buy where you think you'll stay the most. I was thinking of going through Disney and buy 150 pts at VWL and look for a BWV resale, although I understand that BWV are very popular and hard to come by.

If we buy at VWL, we're paying top dollar and I hope to get a BWV a little cheaper. We want about 250 pts total. Should we try to get a BWV resale for the entire 250? I also see that we could get into DVC the cheapest by buying a resale at OKW. How really important is it to buy "where you plan to stay the most"?

I also heard that, in the future, to resell at BWV might be easier than at the VWL, because of the convenience of the Boardwalk. Anyone have any thoughts? I hope I explained my situation clearly!

Where should we buy?!?

Where you end up buying is really going to boil down to your personal circumstances and preferences. I absolutely believe the advice to "buy where you plan to stay the most" is very important.

For example, we own at BWV, like to go in early December, and prefer to save points by staying in a standard view room. If we did not have the 11 month booking window, we would NOT be able to do this unless we were very, very lucky! If you do not own at BWV, the chances of getting a reservation at popular times is not very good (especially in the standard view rooms). It does happen, but you sure can't count on it. Note that even though early December is reputed to be a slow time at the parks (compared to other times), it is a very popular time to visit for DVC members. I've noticed that, in general, busy times in the parks/WDW resorts is not always the same as busy times at DVC resorts.

According to many DIS'rs, if you are very flexible with your vacation dates and are open to any of the WDW DVC resorts, you can almost always get a reservation. If you are that flexible, OKW might be a good option for you.

You are probably right about BWV resales - there don't seem to be very many out there, and the ones that come up get snapped up pretty quickly. Smaller packages seem to go the most quickly. I really don't think you will save very much getting a BWV resale over buying VWL from Disney. If you want BWV, your best bet is to contact one or more of the resale brokers and get your name on a list.

It is not a bad idea to get some points at both BWV and VWL if you like both resorts. That way you will have the 11 month advantage at both places. You could alternate your stays by banking and borrowing. If your husband is set on VWL, this might work as a "compromise". LOL. If a BWV resale doesn't work out, maybe you will like BCV. They should be ready sometime in 2002 and will have almost the same location as BWV.

I'm sure that others will have some advice/opinions for you to consider. We are very happy with our decision to purchase DVC at BWV, but I would like to try out VWL and OKW sometime, too.

Good Luck and have fun deciding!

I think the idea of splitting your points is great and the way to go. I don't know wich one would be a better financial decision though.
By splitting your points you could either split you stays or you could bank one years points at each resort alternating yearly visits to each resort.
As for OKW, I wouldn't concider buying here unless you plan on staying at OKW most of the time. I think the 11 month booking window is pretty important especially at BWV.
Good luck, what ever you decide.

The 11 month booking window has been important at BWV for the last two years as those trying to book 7 months out often find the times and rooms wanted are not available (and lower point standard view -- which is only 20% of the rooms-- can be very difficult to get most of the year at 7 months). Whether that kind of situation will remain at BWV is unknown; I suspect it will alleviate somewhat in the next two years but also suspect BWV will always be the more difficult of the group to get at 7 months--my sense is that most people who buy there just don't have any real desire to stay elsewhere on site and thus take the rooms with the 11 month window; there are just a lot of us who believe there is no better location on site than the Epcot resort area. I have found OKW to be quite easy to get at the 7 month window. It is too early to tell whether VWL will be easy at 7 months (it is fairly easy now but you really need to wait until much of the resort is sold to be able to tell).

I support the view that you should buy where you plan to stay most; the 11 month window assures you won't be disappointed. Thus, if BWV is the preferred stop then buy there. Though your husband may prefer VWL, I am sure he will grow to love BWV--at least in my household that would be result if we were in the same situation as you determining at which place to buy.

We love VWL for the quietness. I like to finally get away from all the stimulation at the end of the day. I get that at VWL. At BWV, I just want to keep on going! So it really is your personal preference and I also agree that you should purchase at the spot that you want to stay the most because the 11th month window is a real advantage.

skorpie, I think that your plan of buying into VWL now and then looking for a resale for BWV is a great idea. if nothing else you can always buy a different contract at BCV when completed. It's not BWV but it's close enough.

If you do decide to split your points between VWL and BW - you might consider buying the BW resale first and then adding on at VWL.

I'll tell you why this might be a better idea. Let's say you determine that the TOTAL points you want to purchase at both is 250 points. It's easier to purchase a BW resale for 150 points and then add-on 100 VWL points through Disney then to purchase the 1st time minimum of 150 from Disney and then try to find a resale for exactly 100 BW points. Resale contracts under 150 points do come up but are infrequent. Also when you factor in closing costs, a smaller resale contract may have a higher per point cost.

Making your first purchase through Disney will give you instant gratification but if you will also purchase a resale, be prepared to ultimately buy a total of 300 or more points! Not a bad thing imho!:rolleyes:

Also, when looking for resale, if you are flexible with the number of points, you may find that a contract for 175 (or 200) be a better "deal" than one for 150. It may have more banked points, have a lower cost per point, etc. After you purchase the best "deal" available, you can purchase an add-on at VWL from Disney for the number of points that would give you your desired total.

Of course this is assuming that you wouldn't mind a smaller contract at VWL. If you want at least 150 points at VWL and/or you don't mind ultimately buying more than a 100 point BW resale, than disregard my rambling suggestions.

Whatever you decide, good luck!:bounce: :bounce:

I've seen previous posts tell you to buy where you will want to stay the most. I have to agree with them with one exception. I see your obviously money conscious so I would suggest buy where you can save money and you will always find the time to use it. Later if you decide to add more then do so. Disney is always coming out with a new resort and someone is always selling their old. So sit down with your husband and decide whats more important to you (money vs. time)

Remember, too, that if you buy from Disney they will offer you financing (unless you have the cash to buy it outright or a credit card with a large credit line). If you go resale, you will probably have to finance it yourself. Also, if you go resale, you will only be able to purchase what they have available. Adding in the closing costs may make your purchase about the same price as the Disney cost. You won't have closing costs with Disney. We bought a small add-on as a resale since we wanted to keep all our points at OKW and it cost us about the same as the Disney price for the same number of points.

I've heard the VWL will sell out in the fall. So if you want points there, you need to buy them soon or look for a resale for those points as well.

When you buy a resale, you have to purchase the entire package. Some of the smaller point packages are harder to come by, and when they do come available, they are snatched up very quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter