• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need your help! Talk me down from the ledge. ;)

lisaburnsmiles

Earning My Ears
Hi Dis Family! I am stumped on a planning question and really need help. Family trip Disney World is next week (3/3 - 3/7). Plans have us at AK on 3/4 -- weather that day is hottest of the week. My parents (in their 70's) have health issues and I'm worried about the heat. All FP for the Kilimangaro (sp?) Safari are gone for the other days of the trip. That is the only thing they wanted to do. Do we tough it out? I can't get my head around how/whether to change days around for park visits without totally undoing all the FP and dining reservations already made.

Thank you in advance!!!!

Ride Safari right after the park opens. (Shortest line during daytime hours.)
(Below in no particular order.)
See Festival of the Lion King (air conditioned, sit-down theater show.)
See Finding Nemo the Musical (air conditioned, sit-down theater show.)
See "Up" bird show (outdoor, but covered, sit-down theater show.)

Take a lengthy mid-day break to cool down and relax.

Hi Dis Family! I am stumped on a planning question and really need help. Family trip Disney World is next week (3/3 - 3/7). Plans have us at AK on 3/4 -- weather that day is hottest of the week. My parents (in their 70's) have health issues and I'm worried about the heat. All FP for the Kilimangaro (sp?) Safari are gone for the other days of the trip. That is the only thing they wanted to do. Do we tough it out? I can't get my head around how/whether to change days around for park visits without totally undoing all the FP and dining reservations already made.

Thank you in advance!!!!

It's still a lomg way out so temps could change. As mentioned, rope dropping KJS is a good option.

Do you have a FP for it already on the 4th? Will they be on scooters to get around? I probably wouldn’t change days around. Especially looking at the other days, they aren’t much cooler.
Yes, have a FP for the 4th; Dad is in a scooter. Thinking that the rope drop to Safari is the best bet, and shifting activities around from afternoon to morning is better.

Agree morning is best. What time are all of your fastpasses? You could try to modify the one you have to morning if your others aren’t already in the morning time frame.

We will also be there, but in Hollywood Studios the 4th-All parks are hot, but I do feel AK gets especially humid. However, it has many inside shows without long waits as PP said, Finding Nemo, It's Tough to be a Bug, Festival of the Lion King. There is also a lot of shade except in Dinoland. I wouldn't change my day, but plan on rope dropping the Safari, and taking a midday break from about noon until 4. Rain is predicted for Thursday and cooler temps Friday, but Florida weather changes so quickly . I would do the animal trails like Gorilla Falls and Jungle Trek early also, cooler earlier and these close mid afternoon. After dark in AK, especially Pandor, is so pretty to just look around.

Just want to give a shout out to all who've commented -- feeling so much better. In spite of how many time's I've gone and planned when I saw 89 degrees for the high I panicked. You all are fantastic and LOVE the boards!

I agree with the PPs. Weather can and probably will change before your trip. That being said, AK is the hottest of the parks for some reason so if it is hot just take frequent breaks. And hitting KS first thing is good too because animals will be more active and everyone else will be on Pandora. And remember that you can get free ice water at any QS. Whatever happens, you’ll be in Disney!

Thank you in advance!!!!
Hang in there! BREATHE and just stick with your plans. As a fellow Diser I totally understand your anxiety. We spend months, sometimes years planning a WDW trip down to the little details. Every minute of our days it seems is thinking about the plans and trying to consider and make the trip a fantastic trip for everyone who is going with us. And then there is always something as our trip nears that throws us into a tailspin. I, expect we have all been through this as planners. Just stick with your plans right now, and remember you can always modify even when you are actually there that very day. You got this!

Ride Safari right after the park opens. (Shortest line during daytime hours.)
(Below in no particular order.)
See Festival of the Lion King (air conditioned, sit-down theater show.)
See Finding Nemo the Musical (air conditioned, sit-down theater show.)
See "Up" bird show (outdoor, but covered, sit-down theater show.)

Take a lengthy mid-day break to cool down and relax.
Excellent advice!

Just want to give a shout out to all who've commented -- feeling so much better. In spite of how many time's I've gone and planned when I saw 89 degrees for the high I panicked. You all are fantastic and LOVE the boards!

I am glad you are feeling less anxious. Enjoy your trip and consider writing a TR to share with us when you return.

In addition to water fans, my family likes the little neck bands that you get wet and tie around your neck. You can refresh them with cool water at any bathroom and you’d be suprised how much it helps to just keep the back of your neck cool.

It’s freezing here today and tomorrow, and then hot next week. I’d take the “hot” with a grain of salt. I mean, sure it will be warm but I bet the forecast will change a bit before next week.

I went about a month ago on a very warm day, and aside from about 1 PM or so when in line for a QS meal, it wasn’t bad at all. And I don’t really like hot weather. Go to the Nemo show at 1 PM or 2:30, where it’s nice and cool for a good break. Get ice water whenever you can, and take the train out to Rafiki’s Planet Watch (and come back if you’re not interested in staying there). There is some shade on the trail, and the train ride seems to cool me down a bit.

I agree with others be there at rope drop. My parents and grandmother went with us last year, I made sure to stagger outdoor rides and indoor shows. Remember to have plenty of water for them, it is the humidity that effects most more than the heat. Take it slow and have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter