Need your input...driving home to Massachusetts now...

glo

Has a heart bigger then all of
Need your help...in Jacksonville FL. soon, driving North to Massachusetts. On the way to Florida we did the rte 90 to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 on a weekday. It is Saturday evening now, we plan on driving through the night after a stop for dinner. Should we drive 95 North home since it is not a weekday? Please respond quickly we could use the help deciding!

It sounds like your are on the road right now. Since this is Sunday I guess I'd take a chance on sticking with I-95 through the whole DC-NYC area. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Not sure where you are now but we just left Florida (ft myers) Friday afternoon. Did a stop in DtD for an hour or two then up to JAX for the night. We left there yesterday and took 95 the whole way except Richmond when we took the loop instead. We stopped for the night about 20 min south I'd dc and are getting ready to leave soon.

Happy travels!

OK, so here is our update. I will never ever go back or to Disney via rte 95. We had one back up where we turned the car off in Virginia. A tractor trailer that was to tall tried to get under a highway sign. Yes, not an overpass or anything solid, but a green highway sign. Tore the top off the truck so that we thought it was a boat that had fallen of it's trailer. That is until we saw the boxes of squash broken everywhere. That set us back almost 2 hours. I was pulled over for wearing my seat belt improperly. Yes, I had it on, but I am short and it hits me in the neck, I slide it under my arm. Pulled over , got a warning, but set us back another 30 minutes. Traffic in Washington D. C. and Maryland stopped us about another hour. Then on the NJ turnpike there was a 20 mile back up due to excess volume according to the radio and another 1.5 hours extra. Plus bathroom breaks and food stops. Our trip ended up almost 31 hours from WDW to the border of R.I. and MA. Will take the longer way from now on. Took us only 22 hours down.

OK, so here is our update. I will never ever go back or to Disney via rte 95. We had one back up where we turned the car off in Virginia. A tractor trailer that was to tall tried to get under a highway sign. Yes, not an overpass or anything solid, but a green highway sign. Tore the top off the truck so that we thought it was a boat that had fallen of it's trailer. That is until we saw the boxes of squash broken everywhere. That set us back almost 2 hours. I was pulled over for wearing my seat belt improperly. Yes, I had it on, but I am short and it hits me in the neck, I slide it under my arm. Pulled over , got a warning, but set us back another 30 minutes. Traffic in Washington D. C. and Maryland stopped us about another hour. Then on the NJ turnpike there was a 20 mile back up due to excess volume according to the radio and another 1.5 hours extra. Plus bathroom breaks and food stops. Our trip ended up almost 31 hours from WDW to the border of R.I. and MA. Will take the longer way from now on. Took us only 22 hours down.

Oh my! I am sorry to hear this.

You got pulled over for not having the seatbelt on correctly! Geeze! Now I know u had a bad day!

Get some rest.

Need your help...in Jacksonville FL. soon, driving North to Massachusetts. On the way to Florida we did the rte 90 to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 on a weekday. It is Saturday evening now, we plan on driving through the night after a stop for dinner. Should we drive 95 North home since it is not a weekday? Please respond quickly we could use the help deciding!

95 is your best bet, I believe.

eta: Didn't read thru thread, sorry!

The police officer pulled me over. Told me I was being recorded, and told me I was pulled over for not wearing my seat belt. I showed him it was on. He told me it was incorrectly and he walked away, telling me he would come back. He gave me a warning, but told me I would be pulled over again if someone else saw it and I would get a ticket. I told him, it cuts into my neck, and he said I had to wear it correctly or get a ticket. If I had gotten a ticket I would have screamed!

The police officer pulled me over. Told me I was being recorded, and told me I was pulled over for not wearing my seat belt. I showed him it was on. He told me it was incorrectly and he walked away, telling me he would come back. He gave me a warning, but told me I would be pulled over again if someone else saw it and I would get a ticket. I told him, it cuts into my neck, and he said I had to wear it correctly or get a ticket. If I had gotten a ticket I would have screamed!

So sorry :(

What state did that happen in?

Is it legal to record you. I thought they need probable cause to do such things. I am not a faithful seatbelt wearer (no flames please) - but it seems a bit intrusive to me.

Oh my! We hit traffic in jersey too. Luckily we hit no other traffic on the way home. The way down we hit traffic in VA.

We are thinking the auto train next April since our vacation ends on Easter. I will still look at flights but we are a family of 5=$$$$$ during April vacation.

My Dh drove both ways. He drove a tiny bit above the speed limit in those southern states. We just envisioned the 'county Mounties' pulling us over and putting us nutmeggers in jail for going 5 miles over the posted speed.

Seat belt...geesh. I guess the officer wasn't concerned about the people weaving between traffic or going 80+mph!

The seat belt incident was in Delaware!!! I never wore my seat belt before but in the last few years, I have learned to wear it faithfully. I am pissed at the warning. He saw I had it on. I didn't sneak or flinch when he said it. I looked at him and said but I do have it on, and showed him. He still gave me the warning. Said it had to be worn correctly. ***!!! I do believe it is intrusive to tell me how to wear it. Then to tell me that if I keep doing it I will keep getting pulled over!

I will never drive 95 to Florida again! :furious:

as i said earlier watch out in Pa also. a friend also got the warning. i know Pa is cracking down, click it or ticket, and it includes both front seat passengers and driver. this would include I81.

Oh my! We hit traffic in jersey too. Luckily we hit no other traffic on the way home. The way down we hit traffic in VA.

We are thinking the auto train next April since our vacation ends on Easter. I will still look at flights but we are a family of 5=$$$$$ during April vacation.

My Dh drove both ways. He drove a tiny bit above the speed limit in those southern states. We just envisioned the 'county Mounties' pulling us over and putting us nutmeggers in jail for going 5 miles over the posted speed.

Seat belt...geesh. I guess the officer wasn't concerned about the people weaving between traffic or going 80+mph!

Never could understand the people that drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit... It gets you 5 or 10 mikes further down the road in an hour over my going the speed limit but is it worth getting stopped and paying 200.00 fine for that small of a convenience ??

I travel the limit, set the cruise control and never have to blink if I see a patrol car....

as i said earlier watch out in Pa also. a friend also got the warning. i know Pa is cracking down, click it or ticket, and it includes both front seat passengers and driver. this would include I81.

VA doesn't play around either! And traffic here is always terrible....especially northern VA! Sorry it was a rough and long trip!
On another note They make special padded covers for the top part of your belt if it is uncomfortable around your neck:)

Never could understand the people that drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit... It gets you 5 or 10 mikes further down the road in an hour over my going the speed limit but is it worth getting stopped and paying 200.00 fine for that small of a convenience ??

I travel the limit, set the cruise control and never have to blink if I see a patrol car....

My Dh set the cruise control too. But there were some areas that the limit changed before we saw the sigh either way-faster or slower and we were still getting passed.

In one area, I am thinking NC, there were 3 CT drivers in a row, us being one of them. Dh wasn't speeding but the officer came out and thankfully pulled over the person in front of us and yes they were speeding. At the time the officer put his sirens on, we were in the right lane and the officer was in the left behind a car or two length. There was an older person driving next to us or about a half car length behind us in the right and came into our lane and nearly crashed into us/ran us off the road. He should of got a ticket too!

VA doesn't play around either! And traffic here is always terrible....especially northern VA! Sorry it was a rough and long trip!
On another note They make special padded covers for the top part of your belt if it is uncomfortable around your neck:)

I have these clips in my truck, I hate the belt against my neck, and this clips it so that it is not.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9367816/?quantity=

Just wanted add to OP, while it may have taken longer to get home than it did to get down, at least you are home safe... not everyone was that lucky this weekend.

I have these clips in my truck, I hate the belt against my neck, and this clips it so that it is not.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9367816/?quantity=

Just wanted add to OP, while it may have taken longer to get home than it did to get down, at least you are home safe... not everyone was that lucky this weekend.

Honestly I am grateful to have my family and that we were all safe, just annoyed. With everything that happened at my doorstep(family lives in Boston, I work in Boston, my students all live in Boston) while we were gone, the bad traffic is annoying and a lesson learned on not taking rte 95 again, but in the grand scheme of things not very important.

Oh and thank you for the link...will look into them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter