Need your opinions on my plans for December visit

PoohFairy

Earning My Ears
This will be my second trip to Disney (first trip was in 1989) and DHs first visit. We will be going December 20-21. We will be visiting relatives that week and are planning to have a little get away of our own. DH and I have never had a 'vacation' by ourselves. I'm also hoping he will get the Disney bug and want to plan a longer trip in the future. ;)

The 2 parks we have chosen are Epcot and MGM. So, I was thinking that POFQ would be the resort to stay at. We would arrive by car on the 20th around 10 am. Check our bags at POFQ and leave our bags for when the room is ready. Buy our tickets at the gate for both days.

I'm planning on Epcot first then MGM the next day based on attendance that I saw at allearsnet.com. That could change if DH decides if he wants to do the Segway tour, we would only be able to do that on the 21st.

My only other concern is that I want some time to spend in Downtown Disney. Especially the marketplace. I am a huge Pooh fan and I am dying to get to the Pooh store and a few others. I'm not sure if one night and 2 days would be enough time. We could add another night but we would have stay at a value resort and DH does not want to do that. I was thinking that we could go to Downtown Disney the first day,check into the hotel then go to the parkk

If you have any ideas or if you would doe something different *please* let me know! :sunny:

Poohfairy,

I think you've got a great plan to introduce DH to the Disney bug. I do think 2 days is too short, but I also agree that the resort adds alot to the Disney atmosphere. I have never stayed at the POFQ or the Value resorts, so I can't add in my two-cents there. I do know that I introduced my DH to Disney last year (with a 10 day trip staying in the RV at FW) and he's hooked! Now, he has us staying at the Polynesian over Labor Day, so I think the hotel-theme is important to him.

If you stick to your 1 night plan, I agree with going to DD before you check in, but keep FOCUSED! There are so many shops there, you can spend forever! Hit the main points, and then head to the parks.

Don't try to pack in too much...remember....this should be a teaser to get him hooked. I'd suggest making PS at some of the nicer or "themed" restaurants and hitting the highlights.

My suggestion for theme at MGM...the Sci-Fi Diner, although DH and I are trying out Hollywood Brown Derby with the Fantasmic Dining Package in about a week and a half!

At Epcot, I'd have to say try to get PS for Rose and Crown Pub for around 7:30ish and watch Illuminations. Unless you don't like British food at all (we love it there, but it's not up alot of folks' alley...check out the menus on some of the other sites).

If you get a chance, take the monorail from Epcot to the TTC, and then jump on the resort monorail and ride around the Seven Seas Lagoon. That will give you some neat views of the MK and the other Disney resorts. Get off and check out the Polynesian, the GF and the Contemporary. Some of the best restaurants are in these resorts (California Grill on the top of the Comtemporary is one of our favorites), so having the opportunity to see what is out there will whet his appetite!

Best of Luck!

Heidi

To bad you are going so late in the month,your going to miss Mickeys Merry Christmas Party,I think the last date is the 17th. But just make sure when you go to MGM that you do it at night so you can see the Orsborne Lights. You will love it.

Since you are only staying one night, try one of the EPCOT resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht Club or Beach Club) instead POFQ. It is slightly more money because they are deluxe resorts but it is well worth it in convenience and the decoration will be fantastic. That way you can walk to EPCOT through the international Gateway and take a boat to the MGM and at night the lake around the resorts will give you Disney fever for more. It is definatly the place ot stay if EPCOT and MGM are the two target parks. Upgrade and give yourslf a early xmas present.

First, let me say staying at an Epcot resort is a great idea. Why not try the Swan - Dolphin. There are discounts available through the 23rd of Dec. It would be about the same price POFQ, but it will be much closer to Epcot and the Studios.

You could consider staying the first night on-site, and the second night off site to save some money. I think the stores are open pretty late in DTD, so you might be able to go to DTD both nights after the parks close and still get all of your shopping done.

Have fun!

PoohFairy

Epcot and MGM are great if you enjoy Xmas. The Disney characters do a song-and-dance routine at Epcot and the Osbournes light show is a must see at MGM. The World of Nations also has nice Xmas activities. Two days are too short but then again, it may be enough to grab some attention and plan for longer trips.

I also agree that staying at one of the EPCOT resorts would "sell" Disney to your DH. Any of the EPCOT resorts (S/D, YC/BC,BW,BI) would be wonderful.

There is a wide selection of dining choices and you are within walking distance of both EPCOT and MGM.

If you can only do one night on Disney, then I would recommend you find a hotel near DTD. I know you can get great prices on those hotels on a regular basis.

Unless you DH really likes to shop, I would minimize the amount of time at DTD. If he likes rides, spend time at MGM on TT or RNRC.

Good Luck,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter