Negative test to be required before flying to Canada

wdwmom3

DIS Veteran
There weren’t many details but according to CTV news they will soon be requiring people to have a negative PCR test before flying back to Canada.

I’m sure this will impact many trips. Honestly I’m very glad they are doing this. If you choose to travel you should have to get a test.

We have a trip planned for the end of January, so I'll be paying attention to this. I don't believe they can legally enforce this for returning Canadians.

We're already getting things setup for our 14 days of isolation. I think the 14 days of isolation is more effective at preventing the spread of the virus than the test, so unless they start somehow enforcing that better, just testing won't do much.

We have a trip planned for the end of January, so I'll be paying attention to this. I don't believe they can legally enforce this for returning Canadians.

We're already getting things setup for our 14 days of isolation. I think the 14 days of isolation is more effective at preventing the spread of the virus than the test, so unless they start somehow enforcing that better, just testing won't do much.

Actually they can. It’s in order for you to get on a plane. They can’t refuse a Canadian citizen entry if you drive up to the border. But they can tell you that can’t get on that plane without the test.

And this is not to replace the quarantine. It’s in addition to it.

Actually they can. It’s in order for you to get on a plane. They can’t refuse a Canadian citizen entry if you drive up to the border. But they can tell you that can’t get on that plane without the test.

And this is not to replace the quarantine. It’s in addition to it.
I'm aware its in addition to, which is why I said it won't do much unless they get better at enforcing the quarantine. It'll just be for show to say "see, we're doing something"

I'm aware its in addition to, which is why I said it won't do much unless they get better at enforcing the quarantine. It'll just be for show to say "see, we're doing something"

It’s won’t be for show. It will prevent people who go away and start showing symptoms from hoping on a plan back to Canada. Which has already happened many times.

Bottom line is if you don’t have to travel don’t. And the rules can change at any time. And since you were told before you shouldn’t travel don’t expect any help getting home.

I also have zero sympathy for people trapped in the UK right now.

That's just it. One of the reasons we've been told not to leave the country is because the government won't be helping you get home. So if you get a negative test and are denied plane boarding, that will unfortunately be your responsibility to deal with. I'm a Travel Agent and our family is staying put in the country til they at least open the borders.

It's about time! That should apply everywhere. For every country. And every person. No exceptions. Seriously. We are in a lockdown in Ontario and flights are coming in from everywhere and no one is enforcing the 14 day quarantine rule. Shortcuts and turning a blind are just not working. Obviously.
I’ve only known a couple of people who have entered the country since the summer but both of those were subjected to numerous phone calls (ie almost daily), emails about what to do and both received visits from local police (in two different jurisdictions) to ensure they were quarantining. I know it’s not perfect but when I look at the lax conditions other countries have with zero quarantine I really think Canada is doing a lot. They’re not perfect but I feel they’re doing a good job of enforcing the quarantine.

PS - We're currently waiting on confirmation in regards to if Canadians returning home will require the negative test. It hasn't been made super clear, so we're trying to get the info ASAP for our own clients who have chosen to travel.
i hope it’s everyone who requires a negative test. Too many snowbirds are still planning to head south and since they can’t drive down, they’re flying. If this requirement stops even 1 Covid positive person (Canadian or other) from boarding a plane and risking every other person on that flight and here in Canada, than it’s a welcome change!

I am all for requiring ALL to have a negative test to enter Canada (regardless of how you arrive --- land or air.) It's not 100% but it's something. The cost to Canadians from the pandemic has been huge (loss of life, cost to the health care system (which we all pay for), business loss/unemployment/mental and physical health, etc...) and we shouldn't take entry to Canada lightly as it can impact all of these things.

Being a Canadian citizen shouldn't be enough criteria to allow you to enter Canada while sharing confined spaces on a narrow tube for hours, sharing air/space without at least trying to take basic measures to make sure you won't infect fellow passengers with something that could harm/kill others. Covid doesn't care about your citizenship --- but with the new more contagious variant it only makes sense to at least minimize infected people arriving here by at least having a testing requirement. The quarantine on arrival (by land or air) should be enforced very strongly and penalties for breaching it should be significant and enforced without exception.

Cases related to international travel make up such a small percentage of cases, and of those, not all would have been caught by a test 72 hours before arrival, that this will make an insignificant impact to the total cases. But it'll make people feel like the government is doing something. I already found where we can get tested before returning home, but I'll wait until more information is available before scheduling a test.

Here's some data for anyone who's interested:
Source: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/c...y-covid-19-cases.html?stat=num&measure=tested

And will these tests cost us hundreds of dollars?
The Maingate testing site at Disney is free and you don’t have to be a US resident. They have both rapid testing and PCR testing available there.

I guess anyone who travels will have to hope very intensely that their tests come back within the 72 hours prior to their flight home.

The Maingate testing site at Disney is free and you don’t have to be a US resident. They have both rapid testing and PCR testing available there.

I guess anyone who travels will have to hope very intensely that their tests come back within the 72 hours prior to their flight home.
Thanks for the info. Is it inside MK? At this point I’m not sure our Aug trip is a go. Depends on if we’re still having to quarantine.

Yikes. Looks like they are really trying to keep folks from doing any non-essential travel these days. The airlines had no idea this was even going to be happening, according to an article on the cbc.ca.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter