Negatives of Disney Wish

shah007

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone - I have never been on a Disney cruise. I was planning to go with my 9 year old daughter in early March on a 3 night trip on Disney Wish leaving from Port Canaveral. However, I read on the forums that many people have negative reviews of Disney Wish. For those that have taken the Disney Wish, could you please let me know what you did not like about Wish. This cruise is a lot of $ so want to make sure I make the right decision.

We took our first Wish cruise a few weeks ago and while the DIS had me worried, it became our absolute favorite cruise ship we've ever been on. But, admittedly, we have limited experience, only 4 prior cruises on 3 cruise lines (including the Dream.)

On the first day, we WERE overwhelmed by the common areas feeling overly cramped and congested. The ship's design is definitely unusual compared to other cruise ships. But by the third day, those feelings had passed, we grew more confident navigating around and figured out how to avoid any bottlenecks. There were so many beautiful areas we fell in love with, our stateroom was fantastic, the crew were amazing, and the food was the best we've had on any cruise (again, though, limited experience!)

If you've extensively cruised with Disney and have a lot of love for the older ships, the Wish may be a tougher adjustment for you. But in any case, no amount of reading here can prepare you for how you and your family will react to the ship and how your own opinion will form. Go in hoping for the best, try to have a wonderful time, and see if the ship is a good fit for you!

Hello everyone - I have never been on a Disney cruise. I was planning to go with my 9 year old daughter in early March on a 3 night trip on Disney Wish leaving from Port Canaveral. However, I read on the forums that many people have negative reviews of Disney Wish. For those that have taken the Disney Wish, could you please let me know what you did not like about Wish. This cruise is a lot of $ so want to make sure I make the right decision.
We went on the Wish last year after numerous trips on the Dream, Fantasy and Magic and our biggest complaint about the Wish is that the design is very inward focused. The other boats attempted to recreate the classic ocean liner experience and provided lots of opportunities to see the ocean. The Wish was designed to be a castle at sea with the focus being the atrium. Most of the dining, shops and bars do not have windows. The food on the Wish is an upgrade over the other boats. We had a fun time on the cruise and would not have an issue doing it again.

We sailed on the Wish last January, and some of my stresses had to do with managing my mom (which I realized this year sailing with her on the Dream) - so I'm definitely re-evaluating some of my opinions.

That being said, there were some challenges that remain:
  • Elevator buttons were too easy to bump (but they fixed that)
  • Too much space dedicated to high end shopping and the regular gift shop was tiny and always super busy
  • Multi level pools made it hard to manage supervision of child while getting food
  • Didn't love the new menus in the main dining rooms
  • Adult pool seemed small, but I didn't get to spend any time there

I loved the food on the pool deck though - BBQ and Mexican were amazing. We're planing on sailing the Treasure in the summer 2025, so clearly I didn't hate it that much. :confused3

I’ve only sailed on The Fantasy (2013)
And The Wish (2023)
Both were beautiful ships!
I ended up solo on The Wish because my friend had to cancel last minute. I avoided crowds by timing things differently than most.
Early shows and late dining was perfect for me. Went straight to the adult pool immediately at boarding. Had it all to myself for over two hours. To do this, I Skipped the buffet where every other passenger headed when they boarded the ship. After I got my room I Grabbed lunch at 3:00 at the festival of foods! Oh my goodness! The ribs! Went up to the 13th deck for pirates night and fireworks and stayed out of the crowded lower decks. Never spent time at any of the the crowded pools. Managed a daily walk on the multi level promenade. (I do like the Fantasy promenade deck better). Went to the adult pool at 8am every morning instead of the breakfast buffet rush. Palo Brunch was perfection instead of going ashore at Nassau. Serenity Bay adult beach was gorgeous. The lunch there was poor and served with confusion. That was a mistake I won’t make again. Food on the ship is so much better, so I’ll just go back and get lunch on the ship next time. Do some research and figure out how to make your cruise work for you. You can avoid the crowds.

I have a number of cruises (mainly Disney) under my belt. But not on The Wish. I have my favorite ship, but would be happy to sail any of them.

I have not read anything that makes me think you are not getting the Disney Cruise experience on The Wish.

You see the ship docked at Port Canaveral - it is that classic dark blue and white, reminiscent of an oceanliner.
You arrive at Terminal 8, Port Canaveral, with Disney decor.
You step on the ship into an atrium, where your arrival is announced.
You are overwhelmed by a new place, with people wondering and wandering, on their way to lunch (sit down or buffet - maybe quick service by the pool is an option).
You take a look at the pool area. Some guests pack their swimsuits and are in the water already.
Around 2-3, rooms are ready. There’s yours - a true Disney room. The bathroom is two rooms, like other ships. It’s all lovely and still new. (TV is in an awkward place, at the end of the bed, but it’s only 3 nights - not much time for watching).
You attend the Muster Drill, a reminder that guests’ safety is not overlooked.
Then enjoy the Sail Away celebration on the pool deck to get the cruise going.
Check the Terminal Bldg as you pull away to see if Cast Members are waving good-bye with their big white gloves.
Out to Sea and fun.
Your dinner time, table, and servers (for the entire cruise) are set. Order whatever you like from the menu - adults or kids. Enjoy a Mickey Bar for dessert if you wish. Tomorrow you and your servers will meet again for dinner to experience a different themed restaurant.
Head to the Walt Disney Theater to enjoy a Broadway-quality show or other entertainment at a time coordinated with your dinner (no reservations nor tickets required). Well designed, time-wise, to keep kids and adults happy and squirm-free.

I would love to be a kid and take the slide from the Atrium to the Kids’Clubs!
Character Meets and photos, family arts and crafts and trivia, silent disco may be on the day’s schedule.
Your daughter may enjoy spending time in the kids‘ area or may opt for pool time with you, perhaps watching Disney cartoons, movies, or Disney channel movies displayed on the Funnelvision (Jumbotron) outside, perhaps snacking on quick service treats.

If you enjoy dress-up, pack your prettiest princess dress for photos or pirate garb for Pirates IN the Caribbean party and fireworks.

This is my idea of the Disney Cruise experience, no matter the ship (Or the itinerary, typically).Theming, venue placement will vary, but friendly staff and all the above have been standard since I started sailing in 2007.

Wow - I forgot my favorite thing (and it’s not the free room service) - Castaway Cay. A day at the beach, literally. And pretty much just that (with lunch). Walk off the ship, grab a towel, and Splash in the water or enjoy the sun and sand by the loungers and umbrellas.

Before you know it, you are leaving (the biggest downfall of a short, 3-night cruise).

It is expensive, with the Wish being some of the most. And in March. But I don’t think choosing the Wish over another ship will be a mistake.

(I did not copy all this from a Disney press release. I was just thinking about what makes a Disney cruise and what others - including my sister - have reported about the Wish. It was a departure in space usage from the first four ships, yes, but for new cruisers, I don’t see it as a drawback.). It‘s not a perfect ship (layout), but it’s a great Experience for many (most?) who sail on her.

Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen. Leave your beach towels and worries behind.

Bon Voyage!

Last edited:
I went on the Wish a couple weeks ago. I had also read a lot of negative reviews and was worried. I absolutely loved it! It's beautiful. So many bars, lounges, coffee shops everywhere you go. The dining rooms were wonderful. My least favorite thing was Arendelle because I'm not a fan of dinner shows. I didn't find it anymore crowded than any other ships. I loved the pool areas. I wouldn't be worried about it. You'll have such a great time.

Don’t worry you will be wowed by it as soon as you walk on. Pictures don’t do it justice.

The Wish is just different from the other ships but the Dream and Fantasy have differences, both are different from the Magic and the Wonder. You won’t notice any of these being a first timer. So people that cruise notice difference things like they don’t have a walking track on deck 4. We walk it on the other ships but it didn’t ruin our trip on the Wish.

Enjoy your cruise! Come back and tell us what you don’t like or what you loved.

I've been on every DCL ship except the Wonder - the Wish was my least favorite - too big, too chaotic and a really confusing layout. For a first DCL cruise, I would consider a smaller ship - Magic is our favorite. I would also consider doing a 4 night over a 3 night.

Don't worry. We have been on the Fantasy, Wonder, and Wish. We liked them all. They all have their unique charms. I don't think I have been on a cruise ship I haven't liked though. We have been on older Royal Caribbean (late 90s/early 2000s), Celebrity (M and E class), and DCL.

Multi level pools made it hard to manage supervision of child while getting food
I haven't been on the Wish yet, but I don't recall ever thinking I could grab food while adequately supervising my child in the pool on any ship. That may be an entirely intentional design to help prevent parents from stepping away. The Wish is the first DCL ship to be designed with expectation of lifeguards present at the pools. However as a former lifeguard I have never relied solely on lifeguards and always keep watch on my own child in a pool (anywhere), almost always within arm's reach.

I had read these boards too much before my 2 (back to back) cruises on the Wish and seriously was second guessing myself. Fortunately, I decided to keep them and surprised myself by loving the ship! It's actually my favorite after the Magic💕. The only thing I don't like is the short 3 and 4 nights' duration...and the fact I have to share with others🤣. Yes, it's different but different isn't always bad...and yes I miss a true promenade around the 4th deck and a nice, swimmable pool like the Wonder/Magic have (if you can beat the other adults to it) but those are small quibbles.

Historically, my favorite cruises were always the ones where my DD had the most fun, so really, the ship provided the background to her joy. I hope you and your DD have a wonderful vacation, whatever you decide!

It's not my favourite ship, and there were things I didn't like about it (the adult area was poorly designed IMO with the hot tub way out of the way, placed almost as an afterthought and the whole area way way too small, including the Cove Cafe, no salads/sandwiches on the pool deck). But we just came off the Fantasy two days ago, and there were things on her that I was comparing to the Wish that I would have liked to see on the Fantasy, some of which were minor, but you missed them (night light in bathroom, labels on the light switches, brighter lights, USB-C connections). I'd also forgotten just how much space was allocated to high-end jewellery stores on the Fantasy, and it's no less than that on the Wish, so I equally dislike it.

The elevators were a real annoyance on the Wish. They did fix the goofy buttons but only two of the bank of 8 elevators went higher than deck 11 so if you wanted decks 12 or 13, you had to wait for ages or give up and walk the remaining two flights.

The movie theatres are way too small. We had to skip a movie one day because it was packed.

There were also other things I liked about the Wish:
. distribution of the bars and lounges across the ship rather than clumped into one area;
. beignets in the Bayou (and the Bayou itself early in the morning);
. I think the MDR food was better, or maybe I just preferred the menus on the Wish
. the way that 1923 is cut into smaller rooms. I really noticed the noise level in Royal Court for breakfast, whereas 1923 was so quiet and peaceful for breakfast;
. I think the main theatre is better, but to be fair, she was designed with more high-tech for shows and is newer. But I still like it better;
. I hate to admit it, but I think I actually prefer the AquaMouse to the AquaDuck. It's faster, and you don't have to walk up so many flights of stairs, especially between rides.

While the Magic remains my favourite, there is no one ship - not even her - that has everything that I like better than another ship. They all have their pros and cons; some just due to the design of the ship and some depending on where we're going and for how long. Go with an open mind, and you'll find things you like and dislike but will still enjoy it.

The 4 big things that affected the enjoyment of my cruise were...

1) Lack of adult sun deck/pool bar that you can sit at (this is a big one for me as it is where we spend every day)
2) Dinner Shows (I like to eat in peace)
3) No self serve buffet (I like it my way ;) )
4) Adult nighttime entertainment not being all together and not being secluded (ie kids popping in on the top floor of Luna)

There were other things that I didn't like or didn't make sense (ie jogging track, elevators, overly themed/Disney in your face, more like Fantasyland than a cruise), but those didn't truly affect my cruise.

On the flip side, the food was very good! Loved the Festival of Foods! And the crew was amazing as always.

We sailed on the Wish 2 weeks ago and loved it! I was a little nervous after reading lots of negative reviews, but it is my new favorite DCL ship.

Everyone in my group was 18+, but I saw lots of little girls having the best time. I know my niece would have loved the shows, the Arendelle dining show, and meeting all the princesses.

The wish is my and my kid’s favorite ship! They love the amazing kids club, the hero zone (both with and without the temporary obstacle court) the dinner entertainment and the family pool deck. I love the detailed disney theming/artwork throughout the ship, the enhanced food and drink options, the panoramic promenade at the front of the ship, and candidly I love the dinner shows too.

I don’t think it’s perfect but nothing ever is. I think one downside is the ship can feel a little harder to navigate until you get used to it, especially on the upper decks. The dining room tables are also comically close together. And the elevators are too narrow. But ad you can see I am really nitpicking here—it overall is an amazing ship.

Since you are a first time Disney Cruiser, go with an open mind. There have been so many first time cruisers on the Wish that have posted here that loved the ship. There are even some seasoned Disney Cruisers on this board that loved the ship. Do not go strictly by the Negative Nellies on here about the ship (of which we are). You must form your own opinion of the ship once you have been on it. Since you will be a first timer on board you will have nothing to compare it to so you should really enjoy it.

Your daughter may like the kids club also. You should be able to take a tour of it on embarkation day. We only have grandchildren of the age for it but it looked fantastic!

I would say to get a really good feel for the ship you need a 4 night cruise. Then you will have a day at sea to really explore it. 3 nights will go by SO fast! Also 3 night cruises seem to have more people simply because it is easier to take a weekend cruise since people don't have to take so much time off from work.

However, if you want more bang for your buck, you could take a 4 or 5 night cruise from Ft Lauderdale on the Dream.
I believe it may be comparatively priced.

I realize it is hard to choose the right ship. However I believe it would be harder to choose the right ship on Royal, Carnival, or Norwegian since they have so many ships and seem to be so different. And that is one reason we have not sailed with them as we can't get a good feel for what they are really like. At least the Disney ships are all very similar except for the Wish.

Just know that you will be so overwhelmed on your first cruise and you will get lost!
So go on the Wish and enjoy it!

thank you so much, everyone. I truly appreciate all of you taking time to respond to my question. After reading all your posts, I am relieved that even if I choose the Wish, I will be fine. I also read someone saying to look into maybe 4-5 nights since 3 nights will go quickly. So might even look at the Disney Dream for the 1st week of May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter