Neighbors tree trimmer broke my fence ?

mamamary

DIS Veteran
Mornin,

Yest. the house in back of us had a tree trimming service come out to remove/trim some of their trees. Well this morning when I went out into the yard with my dog I saw that part of my fence is broken. It's the type of fence with wooden posts and three long wood rails that lay horizontally (blanking out on what you call this type of fence). Anyway two of the wood rails are just broke and can't be just replaced back into the posts.

Anyway, I feel that I should go around and notify them that I feel the tree trimming company should have it replaced for me. Are you guys in agreement that this would be a reasonable request? I really wouldn't even be comfortable with letting my dog out now which is the biggest PITA about this so I also need it fixed asap. I don't know these homeowners at all as they are on the block around from me.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks :)

Yes, the tree trimmer should fix that. I would go knock on the door of the house that had the work done and just say that you don't think they noticed but the tree trimmer they hired damaged your fence and could you get the contact information from them. It would, hopefully, be clear that you don't think they need to fix the fence. The tree trimmer should take care of it and if not, should have insurance to cover the damage, hopefully.

Mornin,

Yest. the house in back of us had a tree trimming service come out to remove/trim some of their trees. Well this morning when I went out into the yard with my dog I saw that part of my fence is broken. It's the type of fence with wooden posts and three long wood rails that lay horizontally (blanking out on what you call this type of fence). Anyway two of the wood rails are just broke and can't be just replaced back into the posts.

Anyway, I feel that I should go around and notify them that I feel the tree trimming company should have it replaced for me. Are you guys in agreement that this would be a reasonable request? I really wouldn't even be comfortable with letting my dog out now which is the biggest PITA about this so I also need it fixed asap. I don't know these homeowners at all as they are on the block around from me.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks :)

If they broke it they should fix it but besides the assumption that they did it what proof do you have that they did indeed do it if they deny causing the damage?

Yes, the tree trimmer should fix that. I would go knock on the door of the house that had the work done and just say that you don't think they noticed but the tree trimmer they hired damaged your fence and could you get the contact information from them. It would, hopefully, be clear that you don't think they need to fix the fence. The tree trimmer should take care of it and if not, should have insurance to cover the damage, hopefully.

Oh yes. Tree co. should fix but not the neighbors. We had a tree cut down last year and it landed right on my own fence. They didn't bat an eye - just automatically fixed the fence. So I assume it happens alot which I understand but I think it should be fixed.

If they broke it they should fix it but besides the assumption that they did it what proof do you have that they did indeed do it if they deny causing the damage?

Well if they deny doing the damage it would be my word against theirs. I was in my house so I saw work being done and branches coming down. You can see all pieces of the tree laying next to it (in another neighbors yard). Not sure why they didn't do a good job cleaning up. Worst case scenario I need to fix it cause my dog goes out alot and it's going to be a cold/rainy weekend here and I don't want to follow him around the yard.

Question for you: You think I need to contact the tree trimmers and not the people that hired them? I was thinking they needed to do it.

Question for you: You think I need to contact the tree trimmers and not the people that hired them? I was thinking they needed to do it.

I would contact them directly. I would also go out and take photos of the tree debris in case they try to get out of fixing it. Make sure your time and date stamp is on.

I call that a split rail fence.

If you know the name of the name of the company that did the work, contact them and don't involve the neighbors. If not, I think it's OK to knock on the neighbor's door and ask them. Make it clear you're not blaming the neighbors.

The fence was damaged by agents hired by and working for your neighbor. Your neighbor could be held responsible for the damage. You can certainly ask them to contact the tree company. As for why there was debris left, the neighbor may have tried to save money by not including clean-up costs in the scope of the project. My husband likes to do that.

If the damage involved a couple of easily-replaced boards, it may be quicker, easier, and less stressful for you (and less likely to cause strained neighborly relationships) if you simply purchase replacement boards yourself. If the tree boughs had fallen in a windstorm, that is what you would have done. Then there will be no arguments about color, quality, etc.

They should definitely repair the fence. I once had the neighbors tree trimmers crush the short fence between the properties (and almost my car!). They weren't around when I saw it leaving for work, but when I got home the fence had been repaired. I was lucky I didn't have to ask.

Well if they deny doing the damage it would be my word against theirs. I was in my house so I saw work being done and branches coming down. You can see all pieces of the tree laying next to it (in another neighbors yard). Not sure why they didn't do a good job cleaning up. Worst case scenario I need to fix it cause my dog goes out alot and it's going to be a cold/rainy weekend here and I don't want to follow him around the yard.

Take pics of everything, NOW , before someone cleans up all the 'evidence'!

Yes, this.

The trimmers responsibility to fix that issue. Good luck!

I think you should contact both, the neighbors and the company that was hired to do the work. If I were your neighbor, I'd want to know what happened and I'd take care of the repairs if the company didn't do it. It's really the right thing to do. You shouldn't have to be the one calling and chasing people down to fix what they damaged.

Definitely take pics of the damage.

I would get the tree service's contact information from the neighbor and I would contact them myself. It's the tree company's responsibility to fix your fence, not your neighbors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter