• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nervous about talking to someone about DAS

hulagirl87

DIS Veteran
We were in Disney World in January and it was my first time travelling since being diagnosed with a myriad of things. It was a struggle for me to be in line and I even chatted with a cast member at one point who told me I should have a DAS pass. Reading on here, I see that I have to talk to someone online about this prior to my next trip. I'm not very good with my words and get flustered very easily. I'm worried I won't be able to articulate what is wrong with me and seem like I'm trying to scam the system, which I know is a real thing. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You do not have to do the online DAS setup if you do better in person. You can wait until you arrive and do the DAS setup in person. The only difference is that you cannot setup the advanced DAS.

I have not had to do the DAS online for my sister, but most of the prep for how to talk to the CM should be the same for in person or online. So, my suggest if you are not good with words, write out what you want to say. You can always ask a trusted person to read through and see if what you have written sounds good. Then you can use it as a refer card or even just read it to the CM, whether in person or online.

• Use your previous struggles with the lines to explain why you have issues
  • Use universal words instead of diagnosis as not all diagnoses have the same symptoms/severity or the CM my not know what the diagnosis means
    • Most of my sister's diagnoses are rare and get a "huh" when I list them to others plus some people have more or fewer issues so not all would need a DAS and others more so
  • Try to keep the initial statement to a couple of sentences, but have a few follow up statements that further explain the issues in a bit more detail if needed

Another option is if someone you trust can be with you when you request the DAS, they can still help with answering questions or even just trying to keep you calm and not so flustered. This is usually why I help my sister.

You can chose to do the video chat before arriving at Disney. This will allow you (if you qualify) to have two pre selected DAS rides, per day of your theme park tickets. You can also "give up" your two pre selected DAS rides and ahead to Guest Services inside a park and apply.

I personally have qualified previously for DAS. I also get frustrated with explaining my issues. I've found "giving up" the two preselected rides, is worth it to me. When I arrive at Guest Services, I don't have to do too much explaining - they can tell.

This is just my opinion based on anecdotal reports of the online DAS registration, but it seems like they are more strict than when you go in person. I'd just wait until you are there and inquire in person. They try really hard to be discreet and make you feel comfortable and they don't require TOO much in the way of explanations.

be ready to briefly answer the question - What concerns do you have with waiting in lines?

As other posters mentioned, you don’t need to mention diagnosis. It’s not helpful because people with the same diagnosis can have very different issues in lines (some might not have any issues and others might have a lot).

be ready to briefly answer the question - What concerns do you have with waiting in lines?

As other posters mentioned, you don’t need to mention diagnosis. It’s not helpful because people with the same diagnosis can have very different issues in lines (some might not have any issues and others might have a lot).
I think this is key... be brief! It can feel intimidating at first and easy to compensate by trying to overexplain!

Figure out exactly why you are unable to wait in the standby line and remember it isn't an essay question! One really concise sentence can often suffice... I did mine online in approximately 30 seconds. One sentence... I didn't write it down but I could have done that and read it to the CM. She doesn't need all the gory details, just the specific reason.

At first I had resigned myself to waiting and doing it in person... I surprised myself at how easy doing the video chat was!

I think this is key... be brief! It can feel intimidating at first and easy to compensate by trying to overexplain!

Figure out exactly why you are unable to wait in the standby line and remember it isn't an essay question! One really concise sentence can often suffice... I did mine online in approximately 30 seconds. One sentence... I didn't write it down but I could have done that and read it to the CM. She doesn't need all the gory details, just the specific reason.

At first I had resigned myself to waiting and doing it in person... I surprised myself at how easy doing the video chat was!

I keep feeling like this will be stressful, but reading this makes me feel a bit better. thank you!

I made notes for myself. i wrote out what i was going to say, so i could read it standing there if i needed to. it might be a little awkward, but it made me feel more confident. it also let me keep it brief, so i didn't ramble.

I just wanted to add that my experience with registering for DAS (and renewing) in person at the parks has been nothing but positive. The CMs have been very pleasant & try to make it as stress-free an experience as possible. I do believe it is easier for them to see, when in person, that there is a genuine need for the DAS in many cases. They do not ask anything about what your specific condition or issues are... but do be prepared to explain in one or two sentences why it is difficult for you to wait in the regular queue, and how waiting in a different location will help.

Also wanted to chime in and say I have had nothing but positive experiences as well. I’ve gotten it in the past and renewed in the park and recently did online. I didn’t find online to be stricter or anything like that. The experience was basically the same. Just be prepared to explain briefly why you need it. I have an invisible disability and am fairly young so I don’t look like I need it but I do. I did the online call the other week and I was approved right away. The CM was very kind and compassionate. I would say try to do it in advance, if something goes wrong you can always try again in person. I’m sure many people are nervous, I don’t think they’ll judge you for that.

I am nervous about this as well but i plan to have notes and practice once or twice with my daughter. Fingers crossed b/c this is something we legitimately need. PS also doing the same fo our one day at US...i have to look into this processes but i do not think it can be done 30 days ahead.

I am nervous about this as well but i plan to have notes and practice once or twice with my daughter. Fingers crossed b/c this is something we legitimately need. PS also doing the same fo our one day at US...i have to look into this processes but i do not think it can be done 30 days ahead.
write out and read it if it helps you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter