Netflix..anyone cancelling?

I cancelled a few months ago when cutting costs. Honestly should have cancelled a long time ago.

My grandson watches it when he’s here, but it’s gotten expensive. I’ll keep it until the new virgin River season stops then I might cancel.

We don't have Netflix, because we can't use all of the TV services that we currently pay for. When DS canceled his subscription for financial reasons, we offered to pay for a subscription to add him. He said he didn't watch it enough to bother. If he had wanted it, $8 wouldn't have made us cancel. That's not a drop in a bucket to what we pay for our cable/streaming services,

No, I'm keeping it. I watch it a lot. My whole household uses it-I had shared it with my cousin who moved out, who then proceeded to share it with one of her friends. That's where I drew the line and changed the password on her. I didn't mind her piggybacking on my account, but why should I pay for a person to watch who I don't even know? My cousin makes great money, way more than I do. She can get her own Netflix and give out her own password and pay the 8 bucks.

Well we just got the email that Netflix will be charging an extra $8 a month for an extra person outside of your house to use your account. I pay for the premium plan which is 4 devices and two of my kids don’t live at home. I am not paying more per month for it and decided to cancel. I don’t see why they care “where” you are as long as no more than however many devices are on your plan are being used.

Anyone else cancelling?
We're cancelling. Same deal. We pay for 4 people right now. 1 person watches sometimes and my kid at college watches sometimes. I'm not paying extra for my kid to watch netflix at college. My kid is still home for 22 weeks a year.

If I had Netflix, used Netflix and shared my password with others. I would simply tell those that were using my account they needed to get their own and then change my password.

We like Netflix and are keeping it.

I honestly can't believe Netflix let these 'shared' accounts go on so long.

I don't know of too many services you can buy and then share with friends and relatives all over the country.
I think they should let people share. I pay for a plan to have 4 simultaneous users. If the people are physically in my house or not, why should it matter? I paid for 4 users. If I gave my password to more people, then I wouldn't be able to use the service when there were already 4 people using it. Therefore, I wouldn't give my password away to a bunch of people.

I'm not sure what we are going to do. Right now I split the cost of the account with my Mom. Mom swears when they first announced they were going to do away with the sharing they said it would be $2.99 to add someone, but the email today said $7.99. For now we are just going to wait it out and see exactly how they go about kicking someone off.
I think the $2.99 charge is what Netflix is charging additional users in South America.

I think there are two different groups here:

1. People who have Netflix & use it in different locations (home, summer cottage, vacations….)

2. People who have Netflix & share their password with others not living in their home.

Will Netflix have a way to determine which type of situation this is?
Will Netflix only allow you to use it at home?

Reactions: GAN
I think there are two different groups here...People who have Netflix & use it in different locations...People who have Netflix & share their password...Will Netflix only allow you to use it at home?
That would certainly not be an effective business model in today's society. People are used to being able to use their devices on the go, and I think they would quickly become frustrated.

As for me, I don't plan to cancel. One "standard" account (which allows a user in a different location, for example - a college student) is still cheaper than two "basic" accounts.

I think there are two different groups here:

1. People who have Netflix & use it in different locations (home, summer cottage, vacations….)

2. People who have Netflix & share their password with others not living in their home.

Will Netflix have a way to determine which type of situation this is?
Will Netflix only allow you to use it at home?
Other than having an idea you're watching it in two different locations, they really have no idea. Assume you have the summer cottage ...a wife may stay there the summer and use Netflix and the husband may stay at the main home. Netflix has no idea if these are two people that don't "reside" together or do. I think it boils down to an honor system. My two daughters actually rent an apartment together, so last night I added them for the extra $8 since they no longer "reside" with me. My father(92) has my old AppleTV and watches Netflix occasionally through that at his place(that I actually own) -I'm not offering to cover that even if I should.

I cancelled it years ago so the Netflix issue doesn't affect me, however my daughter who visits us has an account and uses it when she's visiting.
We don't have cable but we use ROKU on all our TVs.
Obviously not a Netflix issue but we have a ROKU in our RV so we can watch our streaming when traveling. I wonder how they will handle that as other services possibly change their business model? That was a good question from PPs.

With two college kids this is making me finally cancel. I get it they don't want sharing all over the place, but there really should be an exception for students not even earning and income living away from home.

This really gives me reason to stop using Netflix anyway. Been meaning to cancel for some time as honestly, we just don't watch enough on it anymore to justify the cost. I figure 5 years from now when the final season of Stranger Things hits, I'll pay for a month, lol.

My wife and I have a T-Mobile family plan with her parents and get the "Netflix on Us" add-on. It's not clear how T-Mobile / Netflix are going to handle that, but I have no problem canceling if they raise the price of that.
Truthfully though, I don't even know if her parents use it.

My wife and I have a T-Mobile family plan with her parents and get the "Netflix on Us" add-on. It's not clear how T-Mobile / Netflix are going to handle that, but I have no problem canceling if they raise the price of that.
Truthfully though, I don't even know if her parents use it.

We were wondering how it will affect the T-Mobile deal as well. We have 3 of our kids on our T-Mobile family plan. We upgraded the Netflix deal to allow us to be watching on 4 screens at a time (I think...maybe it's only 3). Two of the kids don't live in our household anymore but both use the Netflix account frequently. I'm waiting to see what happens over the next few weeks.

Looking through the view history of the various profiles on my account, it looks like everyone watches in spurts.

I am not sure if Netflix is blocking it solely on different IPs being used or looking at it from a geographical region perspective.

My kids both use the account and are each about 45 miles from home.

In any event I get Netflix through T-Mobile so I won't be canceling, just might have to tell the kids they are on their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter