Netflix to be new exclusive home of Disney

As someone who is a long-time subscriber of Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, I've never noticed Disney movies streaming on anything but Netflix anyway.

I hope this means that Disney will now throw their weight behind opposing data caps. Comcast may be raising their cap to 1TB, but once 4K streaming catches on, that won't be difficult to hit.

I hope this means that Disney will now throw their weight behind opposing data caps. Comcast may be raising their cap to 1TB, but once 4K streaming catches on, that won't be difficult to hit.
Comcast has a cap data usage? Is this for in-home internet service? I've never heard of caps on data for anything but cellular providers. I live in NY metro area and we have unlimited data. No Comcast here though.

In the UK we have Disney Life which you pay monthly for then stream. Movies, TV shows, games, music. Do you have that in the US?

This has been in the works for quite a while -- I remember this being announced a long time ago -- like years ago. Here's an article about it from 2012: http://articles.latimes.com/2012/de...akes-disney-pay-tv-rights-from-starz-20121204

Starz has been the current place to find Disney/Marvel stuff streaming and will be up until the Netflix deal takes effect in September.
If you go to the Starz site, you'll see they have quite a bit of Disney and Marvel titles available to stream: https://www.starz.com/movies

Yeah DisneyLife is so worth the money. £9.99 a month and there's literally every single Disney movie, every short film and every single episode of every Disney show! I thought it was a US thing that we'd just got in the UK, surprised to see that you don't have it hmm

Though that cap is only in certain major cities at this time..they're using the term "trialling" for the capping itself.

Comcast has a cap data usage? Is this for in-home internet service? I've never heard of caps on data for anything but cellular providers. I live in NY metro area and we have unlimited data. No Comcast here though.

Though that cap is only in certain major cities at this time..they're using the term "trialling" for the capping itself.

I'm in Atlanta metro, which has had the "trial" for a couple of years now. It is currently 300GB, which we occasionally exceed, and are then charged for an additional $10 for 50GB. In June they are increasing it to 1TB. That will help us in the short term, but it doesn't change the fact that data caps are a cash grab that takes advantage of customers who are in markets with no real competition. Sure, I could switch to Verizon DSL or AT&T Uverse, but Comcast is the lesser of 3 evils, believe it or not.

I just wish I was in one of the areas that is getting Google Fiber. :(

I just wish I was in one of the areas that is getting Google Fiber. :(
If you want your property destroyed then Google Fiber is your man...I'm in KC it's been an absolute NIGHTMARE with Google Fiber. We paid the initial $10 then cancelled the installation after the mess. U-Verse upped their speed to match Google's and as we already had U-Verse we just upgraded ours-granted Google Fiber is actually faster on average than U-Verse but for us I was completely tainted by the whole experience...and get this 10 months later I am still dealing with the issues Google Fiber left.

FWIW Austin, TX reported a lot of issues too with damage to property from Google Fiber. Google also stopped their free internet option for the Kansas City area (granted it was slow but after paying $300 install fee it was free for like 7 years I believe).

ETA: If you don't have property to damage then as far as I'm hearing people are pleased with the service and they've only had a few outages.

Last edited:
I wonder if they will have just a selection of content or if over time almost anything will be available. I would love to see some of the older stuff appear.

I'm curious to see what new Disney films get added to Netflix. I have thoroughly enjoyed the classics they have offered so far.

I think I remember seeing something a while ago about transitioning from Starz to Netflix. So by exclusive pay content provider I think they mean not only among streaming services, but also cable channels.

Does this only affect Disney movies? Will I still be able to see disney owned tv shows on Hulu or are they moving to Netflix too?

I'm an old lady still on old fashioned cable. If we're not getting any more Disney stuff on Starz, I'd might as well dump it. Bummer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter