Never been to Cali Disney what park?

Salf777

Mouseketeer
Been to the World many times but never to Disney Land.
wishful thinking here have a cruise booked for April 2022 out of LA and Disney Land will be Open!
might have one free day so if I have never been there what park if only one day (or is it possible to do both in one day)?

Since you’ll only have one day, I recommend just doing Disneyland. If you’re more of a Disney fan than a fan of amusement parks, you’ll have a better time exploring just DL. Personally, I don’t get a sense of magic at DCA. There’s no real history there and things are only there because... well, because they’re there. There’s no reason for them to be like there is at DL. For example, Peter Pan belongs in DL because of the 1953 Disney film (yes, I know about the Incredicoaster / The Incredibles connection but that’s not as strong for me as PP and the other classics). Obviously, you can get a park hopper pass (presumably they’ll offer those again once they’ve reopened). But I feel like you’ll have to spread the day too thin.

That is both a tough and easy question :).

Tough because it is like asking to choose between the steak or the lobster (you need both lol).

In all seriousness, take a look at the rides in each park from the perspective of what you don't have from WDW, so eg: Carsland in DCA or the new avengers area (which should be up and running by your 2022 date). Another way is to look at the differences in the rides that DL and WDW share eg: Pirates and Space Mountain, that way you could compare and contrast between the 2 parks.

You can do both parks in a day (assuming they allow park hopping when you are going) but it is not a relaxed way of seeing the parks.

If I HAD to choose then I would say Disneyland, but you can't go wrong IMO which ever way you choose.

I hop for food so that would be so difficult for me to choose.

But I agree with the others: DL over DCA if you only have the one day. A hopper is expensive and stressful for a single day. But, normally, it's so easy to hop between them. No need to go through security again. I can exit one park and be in the other in about a minute or so depending on my walking speed and lines to enter. It is nothing like WDW where hopping can be time consuming.

It's the original park and there is an air of extra magic when walking down Main Street. For a first visit (and I hope another, longer one in the future), I would painfully make the tough decision to do DL over DCA.

Thank you all. I’m more into the Disney history so I guess DL is the place. I think I may have to stretch to 2 days while I’m there if I can
one more question Grand Californian vs Disneyland Hotel?

I’m going to be controversial and disagree with the above posters.

I think park hopper is the way to go, and just prioritize the unique CA rides. Yes our small world, pirates, etc. are better, but it’s marginal.

Disneyland has an ambiance and intimacy that no park in World can match, even if our castle is a little...humble.

CA Adventure has a bunch of unique rides that you can’t find in other parks.

It would be a shame to miss out on either. Get there at opening, crank out CA Adventure main rides in a few hours and then stroll around Disneyland with a flexible agenda, then head back to CA Adventure for World of Color. (They are about 100 yards away from each other) so it’s not as daunting as park hopping in Florida.

I agree with Epicnemesis--you can get a lot done in BOTH parks in a single day. If you extend your trip to two days, obviously you can do more but you can still easily park-hop on both days. All of this is, of course, pre-pandemic advice and no one really knows what things will be like next spring in terms of park reservations, park-hopping, wait times for attractions, etc.

As for your other question regarding hotels, that's an easy one--GCH.

Thank you all. I’m more into the Disney history so I guess DL is the place. I think I may have to stretch to 2 days while I’m there if I can
one more question Grand Californian vs Disneyland Hotel?

If you only have one day and are into Disney history, Disneyland is the one to visit. Disneyland is the park Walt Disney envisioned and designed every step of the way. You can stood where he stood, which is awesome. If you can stretch your trip to two days consider doing so. Radiator Springs Racers and the rest of CarsLand is amazing. There are other wonderful things in DCA too.

I think you should get a park hopper. IMO, there really isn't enough at DCA to fill a full day if you know how to avoid lines and a lot of things there can be skipped if you aren't a completionist. But there's enough unique stuff there to justify a visit and if you're considering the Disney hotels, you can afford a park hopper.

I'd recommend the Grand Californian over the Disneyland hotel unless you're obsessed with having Disney theming in your hotel room. The Grand Californian has a much better location but feels more like a luxurious lodge in a national park than a hotel with "Disney magic" theming.

For the first few times I went to Disneyland I did a one day with a park hopper.

You need to
  • Be organized and have a plan.
  • Do open to close, get there as early as possible, preferably for rope drop and stay until park closing
  • Start in Disneyland, do Fantasyland and one other land
  • Snack on the go
  • Have lunch at quick service
  • Park hop to DCA in the afternoon
  • Hit your must do's
  • Have evening food at quick service
  • Park hop back to Disneyland until park closing
  • Don't do character meet and greets or parades or shows
  • Have evening snacks on the go
  • Don't go to fireworks, pick a land and stay in and do all the rides
  • Shop only as you leave the park
HOWEVER
all this was before Covid and it was very doable in one day. As Disneyland has now been closed for almost 1 year, all pre Covid touring plans and advice is now invalid.

For the first few times I went to Disneyland I did a one day with a park hopper.

You need to
  • Be organized and have a plan.
  • Do open to close, get there as early as possible, preferably for rope drop and stay until park closing
  • Start in Disneyland, do Fantasyland and one other land
  • Snack on the go
  • Have lunch at quick service
  • Park hop to DCA in the afternoon
  • Hit your must do's
  • Have evening food at quick service
  • Park hop back to Disneyland until park closing
  • Don't do character meet and greets or parades or shows
  • Have evening snacks on the go
  • Don't go to fireworks, pick a land and stay in and do all the rides
  • Shop only as you leave the park
HOWEVER
all this was before Covid and it was very doable in one day. As Disneyland has now been closed for almost 1 year, all pre Covid touring plans and advice is now invalid.

I think this contains a lot of assumptions about what someone would want to do in the parks. I usually assume a first time visitor to Disneyland would be interested in Magic Happens, Mickey and the Magical Map, Fantasmic, and World of Color unless the person tells me otherwise. Your points are great for a certain type of guest but OP may or may not see the parks primarily as a collection of rides with little regard for everything else.

If you want a very relaxed day, just plan on one park. If you have energy and want to pack a lot in, get a parkhopper. Most of the time when I am there for one day, I am in both parks a couple times each. I am there often enough that I know what I want to do. In your case, I recommend researching what you want to do about 3 months in advance and start working out your priorities.

To me, you can't beat the Grand Californian for location. With that said, it is ridiculously expensive. You may want to look through the threads here and consider one of the hotels across the street on Harbor or even the Candy Cane Inn. Those are all walkable options and very convenient.

If you only have 1 day I suggest getting a park hopper pass. The two parks are VERY close. You can go from 1 park into the other in a minute.

Disnleyland is the original park and has alot of his history. If your a Disney history fan you will love to see the park that Walk built, and will love to try to rides that were the original rides. But, If you have been to WDW many times, then you will have seen many of the same rides in the Magic Kingdom, so you might enjoy seeing DCA park. The Carsland section is worth visiting.

As for where to stay, I would suggest staying offsite. its alot cheaper and some of the offsite hotels are just as close as the Disneyland hotel.

Disneyland Hotel. It has more Disney Magic, is a little less expensive, and the entrance from GC to DCA is not worth anything if you're not going to that park. (the GC is beautiful, but the rooms are dark and it's more like a visit to Yosemite then DL)

I do think DCA is underrated though. Don't get me wrong, I love DL but from a purely pragmatic POV, there's a good amount of overlap between MK and DL. I know it isn't the same, but they have similar rides. DCA has really cleaned up its act quite a bit. Cars Land is absolutely breathtaking and I love the Guardians ride. I would say if you can, do two days and enjoy it all, but if you can't, I think a one day hopper is still well worth it.

I loved the DLH when we stayed many years ago. It was very magical and very Disney themed. The DD was not quite 3 at that time and was mesmerized by the headboard. We have an upcoming stay at GC in August (fingers crossed) so maybe I can come back later and update then!

Regardless of your choice, I am sure you will have a magical time!

I do think DCA is underrated though. Don't get me wrong, I love DL but from a purely pragmatic POV, there's a good amount of overlap between MK and DL. I know it isn't the same, but they have similar rides. DCA has really cleaned up its act quite a bit. Cars Land is absolutely breathtaking and I love the Guardians ride. I would say if you can, do two days and enjoy it all, but if you can't, I think a one day hopper is still well worth it.

I loved the DLH when we stayed many years ago. It was very magical and very Disney themed. The DD was not quite 3 at that time and was mesmerized by the headboard. We have an upcoming stay at GC in August (fingers crossed) so maybe I can come back later and update then!

Regardless of your choice, I am sure you will have a magical time!
Thank you for the insight. So glad to hear the park is opening and we are a ways off so I’m hoping it will be open to non-Cali residents soon. But we’re planning way ahead that’s half the fun to me. Probably are going to do 2 days

Definitely do 2 days so you can take it all in. Otherwise I also vote for park hopper. I'm a SoCal person so Dland has my heart, but when I go I usually visit both parks same day since they're literally across from each other. For me, Dland is a like a better version of MK and DCA feels like an adult park. Radiator springs is 10x better than Test Track and Guardians is so different from Tower of Terror so it's fun to compare. And I vote for Grand Californian even though I never stayed there myself since I live close but I'm always envious of those guests entering DCA from their private entrance.

I grew up near Disneyland and went there far more often than Disney World. When visiting Disney World, I hardly ever went to the Magic Kingdom because it all just feels so wrong to me. Disneyland is far superior to Magic Kingdom imo. You can enjoy Indiana Jones and the Matterhorn. Star Wars land is also there and the Casey Jr. Train lol. I also enjoy the Mark Twain and the Rivers of America and the whole New Orleans Square area. That being said, DCA is also a great park. Cars Land is one of my favorites and Radiator Springs Racers is my second favorite Disney ride after Splash Mountain. It is much easier to park hop there compared to Disney World because you can actually walk from one park to the other. You may consider a Park Hopper and skip some attractions you've done at Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter