• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Never thought I'd do it- Cancelled.

Seriously. It’s starting to feel like mass hysteria is setting in. I see posts where people are talking about sobbing about things they’ve read on these boards. There are trip reports where people talk about how WDW is a dangerous nightmare that scarred their children and they’re never going back, but the only real specifics seem to be that they can’t get LL times for SDD or the parks merch is also on ShopDisney.

To each their own, but canceling a family vacation over someone else’s unhinged trip report seems extreme to me. Take your vacation, enjoy it. Will it be exactly like a past vacation? Of course not. It was never going to be a repeat no matter what Disney did. Just my $.02.
My thing is that I think/wish more parks merch was on ShopDisney. There's a shirt I really wanted to get the kids when I last went and then when I tried to, I missed out on the the chance due to not having the right size in that last store. Why not sell it to me on SD? I also get it in some way - it is kinda cool to have things only available in one place and likely increases in-park spending to avoid FOMO. Sadly, my style is not to buy it and then I regret that choice (therefore netting them less money) vs. just buying it at the time.

Fact: you have to get up at 7am, possibly earlier so you are ready at go time to utilize genie+. For many people this alone is absurd. I can’t think of any other “vacation” where this is the norm.
lol -- We just went to Rocky Mountain National Park this last summer (Gateway little city: Estes Park, Colorado). The popularity of the park means timed entry now to help with overcrowding and going online the first day of the month, the month before your visit to be assured access times you want. And they have two different timed entry passes with different rules that confused a lot of visitors. We saw lots of people who didn't do that advanced planning or know about timed tickets before they were too late to get them, getting up at 5 a.m. to get to Bear Lake Corridor before they start just letting people with the timed entries come in a 6. Our National Parks these past two years are being over loved and the most popular ones are overcrowded just like Disney.

lol -- We just went to Rocky Mountain National Park this last summer (Gateway little city: Estes Park, Colorado). The popularity of the park means timed entry now to help with overcrowding and going online the first day of the month, the month before your visit to be assured access times you want. And they have two different timed entry passes with different rules that confused a lot of visitors. We saw lots of people who didn't do that advanced planning or know about timed tickets before they were too late to get them, getting up at 5 a.m. to get to Bear Lake Corridor before they start just letting people with the timed entries come in a 6. Our National Parks these past two years are being over loved and the most popular ones are overcrowded just like Disney.
I would much rather get up at 6am one time, one month or any time in advance of my vacation to plan. Having to wake up multiple mornings, during on my vacation and not even be guaranteed to get the ride, or time I want is the absurdity. It’s stressful, disruptive and just not necessary. I think many people would be happier with a paid in advance option,

Good for you! Speaking as a financial counselor, the average family doesn't have $9K to spend on a vacation, especially when there are hundreds of alternative spots for a fraction of the cost and no need to spend that astronomical amount. You will still smile, laugh, enjoy good food, sleep in a good bed, sing, dance, experience thrills, and go home with thousands still in your possession to go towards college, your retirement, unexpected bills.

There was a day coming when Disney went too far. I hope that day has come. If it keeps going at this rate, a trip to disney for a family of four will be $20,000. Only the wealthy can afford that.

If that's their plan, so be it. Dollywood is ready when you are. I went in April and had a ball and spent very little.
Agreed - andeven if money were no object, the product Disney is offering just does not seem worth it.

So many, “we’re considering” / “I’m considering” / “we plan to” / “we might” cancel our APs.

Not many “we/I did cancel APs”

Funny, right?

Not really.

I just think, once you’re done. I mean completely done, you probably move on, and don’t bother to post on these boards anymore. Sure some may continue to post, but most won’t.

I would much rather get up at 6am one time, one month or any time in advance of my vacation to plan. Having to wake up multiple mornings, during on my vacation and not even be guaranteed to get the ride, or time I want is the absurdity. It’s stressful, disruptive and just not necessary. I think many people would be happier with a paid in advance option,
^^This^^

We're DVC, so we have to think about what to do with annual points, but daily interaction with Genie/Disney IT is not our idea of a vacation.

Split-stay may likely be Universal/Disney instead of 10-nites at just Disney.

But at the moment, we are inclined to believe that we are skipping Disney in 2022.

Last edited:
Why haven’t you cancelled yet?
Because I need to find the time to sit down and write (edited for typo) a constructive email to Disney noting my plan and rationale for cancelling, I’ve started it, but then get side tracked (kids). And I want to still have an active reservation number so they can see that I’m not making up that I indeed have/had a vacation planned. We had 7 nights booked at the Polynesian, booked it back in 2020 . No way I’m giving them 700+$ a night for what they’re currently offering, or not offering I should say. We are fortunate to have the money, we just feel like it’s not a good use of our money. We did 7 nights at the Poly in 2019, and if compare the value for the money then vs now I just cant wrap my head around it. It’s almost insulting. I ironically received a survey about a month or so ago, regarding my May 2020 reservation and dit note I was cancelling and some of my concerns. But I really want to email them more detail than I provided in the survey.

It’s assure you it’s definitely getting cancelled, we already booked another trip, flight and all in place of the would’ve been WDW trip. We can’t be two places at once !

Because I need to find the time to sit down and write (edited for typo) a constructive email to Disney noting my plan and rationale for cancelling, I’ve started it, but then get side tracked (kids). And I want to still have an active reservation number so they can see that I’m not making up that I indeed have/had a vacation planned. We had 7 nights booked at the Polynesian, booked it back in 2020 . No way I’m giving them 700+$ a night for what they’re currently offering, or not offering I should say. We are fortunate to have the money, we just feel like it’s not a good use of our money. We did 7 nights at the Poly in 2019, and if compare the value for the money then vs now I just cant wrap my head around it. It’s almost insulting. I ironically received a survey about a month or so ago, regarding my May 2020 reservation and dit note I was cancelling and some of my concerns. But I really want to email them more detail than I provided in the survey.

It’s assure you it’s definitely getting cancelled, we already booked another trip, flight and all in place of the would’ve been WDW trip. We can’t be two places at once !
Are up writing that note just because you want to let them know why, because I'm assuming that you can cancel just by cancelling within a certain time frame without having to explain it to them. So if it is in protest form, then all that is necessary is to say that the "new" WDW no longer appeals to my enjoyment level like it once did and no longer have the desire to attend.

We usually go every February with our DVC points .. the pandemic meant we couldn’t go for the first time in 2021. I was gutted and obsessed over having to miss our trip. Truly, I was in a funk all of last winter over it.

Now our 2022 trip is even up in the air , but I’m a lot more ambivalent. Between ME, Genie+, ILL, the waking up at 7am every day on vacation… I kind of don’t really care if we miss it . I am a die-hard so this is really surprising even to myself. I’m not ready to sell my DVC points but I think we will probably rent out and bank for a bit.

It just amazes me to see how many people accept an insane price increase on a product that’s not a necessity and try and justify these increases. A little pushback could’ve went a long way. This showed Disney that there’s certainly no reason to change their pricing. As if they ever lowered anything anyway. This is the new norm. Gone are the days of $100 after hours events. I pay a little over $3/gallon of gas currently. If it goes to $5 tomorrow, guess what, I’m going to pay it. Disney’s greedy increases, never!

I already began my cancellations on this recent trip. Did 2 less park days, 1 less resort day and food. Over $1000 savings that I have and would have otherwise handed over to Disney. Sorry not this round. We were still able to make the best of it even though it was the worst Disney experience we’ve ever had. We’ll probably continue to go for now, but just not feed into the greed and will continue to cut out things. Hopefully, this is happening on a large scale and Disney begins to feel it. Only time will tell.

Are up writing that note just because you want to let them know why, because I'm assuming that you can cancel just by cancelling within a certain time frame without having to explain it to them. So if it is in protest form, then all that is necessary is to say that the "new" WDW no longer appeals to my enjoyment level like it once did and no longer have the desire to attend.
I know I can just cancel without them knowing why. But the more people that let them know they’re dissatisfied the better. I’m not one to complain on a website but then not speak up where it counts. The likelihood is low they’ll do anything until it hurts their numbers…. But the more people that are vocal the better.

I know I can just cancel without them knowing why. But the more people that let them know they’re dissatisfied the better. I’m not one to complain on a website but then not speak up where it counts. The likelihood is low they’ll do anything until it hurts their numbers…. But the more people that are vocal the better.
Right. They may not care a ton - but I'm sure they already assumed X% of all reservations are cancelled for whatever reason (scheduling, illness, money, etc). The clearer folks are about the fact that this is a chosen decision because of dissatisfaction, the less someone can right off current issues as unavoidable. I think of it this way - would it make a ton of difference? No. Would it make a greater than zero amount of difference? Yeah (and with a bunch of others, it could add up).

Sounds like the OP has been reading a lot of negative 3rd party reports. I'd just encourage those in a similar position to go and decide for themselves.

Over the years I have enjoyed many of your posts and have found most of them to be insightful, often educational, and more times than not useful. Can't say that for this one. I may come off as somewhat obtuse here, but you are sadly mistaken and off in your assessment. I assure you I did not make this decision based off of 3rd party reports or acting irrationally based on some random unhinged trip report. I booked this vacation several months ago to go along with another Disney cruise. I cancelled the cruise because the restrictions and risks right now are not worth it. I made the decision to cancel WDW because of my own personal, well thought out and thorough research and my own personal preferences, along with what I feel is a worthwhile value for my money, just like I have done over the years when planning out my WDW vacations. By saying it sounds like I have made this decision based off of 3rd party reports would be like me saying based on your post, it seems like you are a Disney apologist regardless of what Disney may do. Of course, this would not be fair to say that about you, nor is it fair for you to assume I lack the ability to make my own personal decisions without the influence of 3rd party reports. It just seems like in life with so many things, we have drawn a line in the sand and it has become so easy to attack the person on the other side of the line. I just won't go there.

Not to mention having to book a year+ in advance. I love all these people saying to go to the national parks instead of Disney. We are finally making it out to ours, Big Bend, again. I had to get on a waiting list more than a year in advance. We were already so far down the list that when the only hotel in the park opened reservations, we couldn’t get a room. Luckily, I suspected this and had booked a cabin outside the park when I got on the other waiting list. Since it’s Spring Break, there will be a slow, long line waiting to enter the park every morning. Since we aren’t staying in the park, we won’t be able to park near certain hiking trails due to crowds. The park is massive, 30 miles from one parking lot to another, so it’s not feasible to walk. The good thing is that it’s so massive that it just absorbs crowds better than Epcot. Thanksgiving and Xmas break are just as bad. The only dead time is summer, when the highs reach over 100F. So I feel where you are coming from and think that many places have just as many issues as Disney,

Great summary.

Disney isn’t going to revert to the way things were, so all the fake outrage here is really amazing to read.
Yea the fake comment is unwarranted. As to genie plus it’s not particularly useful but should be a no brainer for a regular ticket add on for MK and HS. The real hit is for AP customers. Major devaluation for us.

We just returned yesterday and we have decided to take a break. The genie plus, individual ride selections, having to pre-plan meals in order to get them at the right time proved to be too much for us. We spent 10 days at the resort, 8 in park. Waking up at 645 every morning and Having to plan our day around what we could get was limiting. without the ability to hop until 2 or make same day park reservation changes, planning became frustrating. Our best time was the after hours party with little crowds. Epcot was so crowded you couldn’t really get anything from the booths unless you were prepared to wait in long lines any day of the week. Genie plus proved to be pretty limiting since you could get one lightning lane at 7 but not another till you tapped I’m for your first one or 2 hours after park opening. I went in with an open mind and just think it’s not for our family right now. We have a short Disneyland trip planned for next year, but I believe we will spend our time else for a while. I hope those who go have a wonderful time and make great memories.

A little pushback could’ve went a long way.
Currently, you push back, cancel, Disney doesn't really care. Have you looked at park attendance? It appears to be nearly where they were pre-pandemic, but now with higher prices. As much as I dislike the price increases and getting less for more $$, the general population doesn't seem to care. As long as this continues, they have no reason to drop prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter