Never thought I'd do it- Cancelled.

Disney is getting a lot of business right now because of all of the stimulus checks. When those finally dry up Ill be curious to see what park numbers look like with so many long time fans taking a break or fleeing altogether. Maybe, just maybe, numbers will drop and Disney will need to adjust to meet demand.

Or it's the case when folks are finally rescheduling their vacations they've had planned over the last couple of years. I know many who have done that in the last few months.

You do know that you can still go to the parks and not do add ons, worry about ADRs, forego the stress of Genie, long lines etc and just take it slow and go with the flow, right? And you don’t need to stay at “the best” resort. You can go Keep it simple and still have a fun stress free trip.
we do it every trip. I’m starting to think that we are the only family that doesn’t think desert parties, VIP guides, fancy meals and perfection are essential components of a fun trip.

I appreciate the input and am well aware of all of what you say. Heres' the thing for us. Our style of doing WDW is Deluxe Resorts. I would be miserable staying in a purple, yellow, green, or bright orange resort with oversized toys on it or a large resort like many of the moderates. We also enjoy doing the signature restaurants and not chewing on a turkey leg or some chicken nuggets or hot dogs from a CS. Nothing wrong with those who enjoy that, it's just not us. Our evenings enjoying a "fancy" meal is who we are and a big part of our Disney experience. How you do WDW is 100% the right thing to do for you and I'm sure for many others. For me... Not my way of doing it. As for stress, I have never felt stress and Disney in the past, but these past 7 months planning for this trip until I canceled have been very stress-filled. Like I said, hopping in the truck with the boat in tow to a place like Lake Cumberland in KY, Lake George in NY, or Smith Mountain Lake in Va is starting to look like a great vacation idea. Been looking at these lakes since I canceled. Now that would be a fun stress-free trip. For me, at this current time, stress-free and Disney are polarizing opposites.

Last edited:
You do know that you can still go to the parks and not do add ons, worry about ADRs, forego the stress of Genie, long lines etc and just take it slow and go with the flow, right? And you don’t need to stay at “the best” resort. You can go Keep it simple and still have a fun stress free trip.
we do it every trip. I’m starting to think that we are the only family that doesn’t think desert parties, VIP guides, fancy meals and perfection are essential components of a fun trip.
True. But when you’re paying top dollar for a park ticket, and then parking, and even just basic food/snacks I think you get in the mindset of wanting the most of your experience. For an average family of 4 who paid 600-700 for 4 park tickets I think they expect a little more than “just taking it slow”. I think this mentality works better for AP holders, or folks who live closer. When you are going once every other year or two, or maybe even once in a lifetime you want the most for your money. And right now even if you spend more money your not even guaranteed much

No, you certainly are not! Since we're a couple or with our son and DIL we do what we want when we want sometimes together and sometimes not. We love most all the DVC resorts and spend quality time at the pool, go to a park for a meal and maybe a ride or two and that's it. No running around like we did 40 years ago. We don't look at our phones all day and no Genie+ for us.

I understand folks with little kids are in a different place, but we've done RV trips, European trips, roadtrips around the US and many National Parks. At this point, we just enjoy downtime at WDW with no apologies!

:flower3:

This is us 100%. But we are lucky and have DVC and DVC AP, and a crazy number of visits in the books.

Last weekend we snagged a B O Guest ressie and only went in for that as an example.

But were not happy with a lot of what's taking place, and can easily see why others are cancelling.

Is there guest fatigue due to lack of investment in the parks?

I mean, other than entertainment what’s really changed @ MK, EPCOT over past 5 or 6 years?
I guess I have to ask what you consider entertainment. If you are talking about live shows, I was never that into them. I enjoyed them but I could take or leave them. If it's the attractions, that is what I think of as entertainment . They have invested a lot of money in them in recent years, but now with the new system it is necessary to jump through hoops to see them and frankly the jumping is the part that I don't like.

I know that all the protocol is now really to cater to those that think the a line is terrible. It was part of the experience years ago. Yes, sometimes it was time consuming but we made the best of it by chatting with others in the line and just joking about it. It wasn't a burden, it was just part of the experience, but you know what you just had to stand in a constantly moving line and you got to see everything, and I mean everything. We missed nothing we were just patient. I have maintained through the years that people who felt they were saving time by insisting on FP were just buying into the smoke and mirrors that Disney specializes in. The time saved on one is paid for on the ones that you couldn't get a FP for because the standby lines moved a lot slower then they ever did before. Now with the complete emphasis on Lightning Lanes made everything impossible and gave us what we are now looking at. There is no way to explain that unless one has experienced all the incarnations. There are a lot of shows closed at this point but that is connected heavily with the Pandemic, but it still will require more effort than an amusement park of any design should offer.

I'd be more inclined to take a year off and buy the AKV 50 point contract today for $7,950.

That would get me pretty much a week every year until 2057.

$400 in dues for 7 nights no tax. About $57 a night no tax.

Animal Kingdom

ID: AKB2377
500 | 50 | 50Feb$159$7,950SMALL
You'll be disappointed then as the cheapest week on points is 71 sorry looked at okw not ak

Last edited:

My biggest disappointment is the no park hopping till after 2, had Epcot booked weeks ago then found it didn't open til Eleven, so I thought I'll go to HS for early entry for a couple of hours then head over to Epcot, was half way there on bus when I remembered had no reservation for HS. My fault I know but still a disappointment.

I booked a trip in March for the wife and kids (I can't go this time) for four day at Port Orleans and it's $4k for just resort and tickets. We've always done deluxe for our more recent trips but those are just too expensive now. It's going to cost another $1k for plane tickets and who knows how much for food and souvenirs. This will probably be our last Disney trip for a long time, maybe last ever. Wife and I can spend a week in the Caribbean at an all inclusive resort for significantly less than we'll pay to go to Disney, and with all the cuts Disney has implemented it just isn't worth it IMHO.

True. But when you’re paying top dollar for a park ticket, and then parking, and even just basic food/snacks I think you get in the mindset of wanting the most of your experience. For an average family of 4 who paid 600-700 for 4 park tickets I think they expect a little more than “just taking it slow”. I think this mentality works better for AP holders, or folks who live closer. When you are going once every other year or two, or maybe even once in a lifetime you want the most for your money. And right now even if you spend more money your not even guaranteed much

Interestingly, with the sheer volume of people moving to Florida, I wonder if Disney is repositioning the Florida park to be like the California one...

ALL OF THIS!!!! No doubt Disney vacations are expensive... they always have been, but I don't like the idea of spending extra to "gamble." We had a short 4 night trip right after Thanksgiving as a party of 6 and we are not a fan of Genie+. If I'm going to pay extra I want to know what I'm getting... with Genie+ it is a toss up. Our next trip is June (DVC and AP) and is just our family of 4... we already decided we'll try touring without Genie+ this time since it was way too stressful and we spent the trip tied to our phones trying to make plans work for our group.
we went in June 21 and lines were all routinely 45-60 mins (posted was accurate or less than actual). It was really hot (forecasted 88; actual 95+). Twice we left the parks after 2-3 rides and a parade. We had a better trip with Genie+ in Nov 21. I would actually budget for Genie+ for MK and HS (other two parks are doable without it; esp. if you can rope drop/stay late).

All of this makes me want to so go Good Morning America and stand outside with signs saying Bring Back WDW! Get 100+ of my “friends” to do the same. Maybe that would get some attention.
- I do realize this would never work because we would never make it on TV.

IMHO, I fully agree with the OP and all of the OP's points are valid! .. To say that Disney has gone too far is a huge understatement at this point, WDW seems to have become a vacation for the wealthy, it is simply no longer affordable for an average middle class family which is rather sad and frankly incredibly disappointing, Walt Disney must be rolling in his grave at how far corporate greed has gone.. Not to mention, to spend such an astronomical amount of money and still be bound to all of the inconveniences/policy changes/cut backs/etc. discussed by pp above is frankly unacceptable..

Disneyland is not any better. In fact, it's got many of the same problems as WDW....plus it is simply not a vacation destination. It's more of a day park (like a Six Flags).

Just got from Disneyworld. The rides there are far inferior to their counterparts in California. Radiator Springs, Grizzley River Run, Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Pirates, Small World, Buzz Lightyear are all way better in California.

After all these years, and so many great trips, magical moments, and a lifetime of memories, I never thought I would get to the place where I'm just not excited and looking forward to WDW; but that is where I am right now. Yesterday I did the unthinkable and canceled our February reservation and our 8-night stay at the Yacht Club. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about spending 9K for just the room and park tickets. In addition, this Genie, Genie+, iLL$, slave to a smartphone, no Magical Express, more cutbacks, more add ons for extra money, closures, limited experiences, masks, the uncertainty of the near future of this nearly 2-year pandemic, I have just lost interest.

I guess I'm just getting old and not feeling the magic this time around. I'm sure I'll get flamed and there are some who will say, "Good, fewer people for me." I would say, "Your Welcome." To each their own. I'm not attacking Disney, just that I think they are starting to move in a different direction than I am going. I guess I'll just take some of that money, pack up the truck, attach the boat, and head from N.E. Ohio and find a nice cabin on the lake somewhere in Kentucky, NY, Tenn, or somewhere that's a several-hour drive away and enjoy a quiet and relaxing vacation this time around.

You are not alone......... i've been to Disney 20+ times, my wife 50+ times......... we just aren't feeling paying 50% more for less services and experiences than last time we went, Oct 2019.

Disneyland is not any better. In fact, it's got many of the same problems as WDW....plus it is simply not a vacation destination. It's more of a day park (like a Six Flags).
Disneyland is nothing like Six Flags. Most people can easily spend 3 full days at DL, we've spent 5 days there twice now and had a wonderful time. Being able to walk to the parks is a major bonus when crowds are high it's easy to head back to your hotel for a few hours.

I've got 3 trips still planned after last week's trip-o-heartache-and-disappointment, and I am very concerned. We're supposed to go in May, September and December, all on our DVC points. Everything is booked already (except the December trip). We've got AP's. I've never felt this way about Disney...ever. After all their changes over the years, i've always smiled and said "Doesn't affect me...we're good".

Charging for resort parking? DVC members don't pay for parking.
No Mousekeeping? We prefer nobody come in to our room.
No more Magical Express? We drive our own car.

And on and on. But this trip broke me. Broke my heart at least. Man, never thought I'd feel this way. Maybe Disney and I need marriage counseling? I hope I can find the love again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter