Never thought I'd do it- Cancelled.

I've actually read the whole thread. DH and I have a reservation for October, along with stays at Universal and other places along the way. We are taking a month off and going to Florida. We started discussing dropping the Disney portion of the trip and going to the Keys instead. I just can't justify the Genie+ and LL$ to him when the costs are already through the roof for a Moderate resort. We only go to Orlando every 3-4 years and every time there are more hoops and fewer amenities. We may add Sea World days and a day at Busch Gardens. There are plenty of other things to do in Florida. We haven't yet cancelled the reservation but the more I read, the more I'm inclined to say skip it. Thanks for your input everyone. It really made me think.

We've done an Orlando area vacation several times and have skipped WDW and had a blast. Last trip we did Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, SeaWorld, Blue Man Group, Medieval Times, a glass bottom kayak tour, the Outta Control Magic Comedy dinner show, and The Void (Star Wars) at Disney Springs. We also went to the movies one day when it was raining and saw Bohemian Rhapsody in IMAX. I wouldn't hesitate to do this type of trip again.

Other things we've done in prior years when we've been in the area and skipped Disney were: Wonderworks, Ripley's Believe it or Not, Titanic, Busch Gardens, Everglades airboat ride, indoor skydiving, swim with the manatees, Big Cat Rescue Tour, and Kennedy Space Center to name a few.

I've actually read the whole thread. DH and I have a reservation for October, along with stays at Universal and other places along the way. We are taking a month off and going to Florida. We started discussing dropping the Disney portion of the trip and going to the Keys instead. I just can't justify the Genie+ and LL$ to him when the costs are already through the roof for a Moderate resort. We only go to Orlando every 3-4 years and every time there are more hoops and fewer amenities. We may add Sea World days and a day at Busch Gardens. There are plenty of other things to do in Florida. We haven't yet cancelled the reservation but the more I read, the more I'm inclined to say skip it. Thanks for your input everyone. It really made me think.
We visited this December and took a day off to go to Blue Spring State Park. We were able to see alligators, manatee, and several varieties of huge fish. The water was amazing. The area reminds me of old Florida as you drive through some nice small towns. Quite a switch from Orlando. They have a house you can tour which was interesting. We also took a day and visited St. Pete beach, we opted for St. Pete over Clearwater as the water is as nice and crowds don't exist. We had a fantastic day. Happy planning.

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_115855920.jpg
    IMG_20211211_115855920.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 34
Interesting… I had filled out a standard survey after my August trip in which I indicated I spent half my trip at Universal. Today (four months later) I just got an email from disney with a follow up survey asking in depth about the reasons I chose to split my stay with Universal. Sounds like Disney is paying attention!

I'm so glad you found there is life outside of WDW and found it to be enjoyable. I'm not into gambling and never have given Vegas a thought. But after knowing several people who have gone and also are not into gambling and drinking and loved it, I may have to give it a thought.

As for us with WDW, we did very little when it came to vacations other than Disney World for the last 15 years. When this whole pandemic started and we had an Alaska Disney Cruise canceled in 2020 and with us canceling our WDW/Disney Cruise in 2021, I took that money and bought a brand new 21-foot Chaparral boat and had a blast last summer. We already have some plans for this year with the boat as well. With us canceling this year's Disney cruise and WDW in February, I just bought myself a killer home theatre set up. I've discovered there is vacation life outside of WDW. I'll always have a love for Disney, but it just won't ever be the same for me. While the changes may be good for many, it has left me behind and uninterested. Perhaps a trip to Disneyland with less planning less stress and etc. But with the way this world is right now, that won't be anytime soon either.

I have started very few threads in all the years I've been on the DIS, wow did this one take off. I've enjoyed the thoughts and opinions of everyone who has contributed. I have read each and every post. It's also refreshing to see that almost all of the posts have been respectful of the other person's thoughts and opinions as well. I hope and pray you all have a Happy, Safe, and Healthy New Year!
I'm happy that you've found things that can bring you happiness! It does make one think...A vacation to Disney, or a boat that can be used over and over again.

After all these years, and so many great trips, magical moments, and a lifetime of memories, I never thought I would get to the place where I'm just not excited and looking forward to WDW; but that is where I am right now. Yesterday I did the unthinkable and canceled our February reservation and our 8-night stay at the Yacht Club. I'm just having a hard time getting excited about spending 9K for just the room and park tickets. In addition, this Genie, Genie+, iLL$, slave to a smartphone, no Magical Express, more cutbacks, more add ons for extra money, closures, limited experiences, masks, the uncertainty of the near future of this nearly 2-year pandemic, I have just lost interest.

I guess I'm just getting old and not feeling the magic this time around. I'm sure I'll get flamed and there are some who will say, "Good, fewer people for me." I would say, "Your Welcome." To each their own. I'm not attacking Disney, just that I think they are starting to move in a different direction than I am going. I guess I'll just take some of that money, pack up the truck, attach the boat, and head from N.E. Ohio and find a nice cabin on the lake somewhere in Kentucky, NY, Tenn, or somewhere that's a several-hour drive away and enjoy a quiet and relaxing vacation this time around.
I hear you. I came here to see the sentiments being express.

Our situation... we wanted to get away to somewhere warm for a couple of weeks. We decided on Orlando, and would only do parks for 2 individual days because we had our dog with us. We enjoyed the area and weather the rest of the time. We were in Orlando for 9 days. The others were spent driving to/from NJ with a couple of days in Savannah. We did not stay on site because we couldn't get a reservation for our dates the first week of December. Plus, Disney charges and obscene $50 a day for a pet in room. We stayed at the Grand Cypress, in a huge suite, included a full breakfast, for far less than a room or cabin would have cost. (I have status with Hyatt, so I get extra bennies).

We decided on a Friday and Monday as our 2 park days for the MK and EC and would go mid afternoon until close. Those 2 days cost us very close to $1k - just to go into the parks.

The tickets, with Genie+ were $630. We paid for 2 ILLs for another $40 (or so). Parking was another $50 for the 2 days. We paid for preferred parking, so that was another $50. Add to it quick service meals and a couple of souvenirs, and we were nearly at $1k for 2 single days. Buying a 2 day ticket would not have saved us very much and we didn't want to risk the weather. Plus, we boarded the dog at Best Friends for the 2 days for another $85.

We normally would rent a car and never used Magical Express, and I read that it will be restarting, but at a cost. I also read the new Disney CEO is a numbers guy and these new policies are coming directly from there. This trip we had our own car.

In other words, you have to be rich to go to Disneyworld now. They were always expensive, but we have now reached the ridiculous point - particularly with paying extra for popular rides. We paid only because we had such limited time and wanted to see the new ones.

We love it there. We love staying in the cabins. We love the Contemporary too. But this has now gone too far. It's not the cost, but it's the nickel and dimeing on top of the already high cost for the type of vacation received. I lave long said you can go to Hawaii for a couple of weeks or Disney for 1 week.

I'm so glad you found there is life outside of WDW and found it to be enjoyable. I'm not into gambling and never have given Vegas a thought. But after knowing several people who have gone and also are not into gambling and drinking and loved it, I may have to give it a thought.

As for us with WDW, we did very little when it came to vacations other than Disney World for the last 15 years. When this whole pandemic started and we had an Alaska Disney Cruise canceled in 2020 and with us canceling our WDW/Disney Cruise in 2021, I took that money and bought a brand new 21-foot Chaparral boat and had a blast last summer. We already have some plans for this year with the boat as well. With us canceling this year's Disney cruise and WDW in February, I just bought myself a killer home theatre set up. I've discovered there is vacation life outside of WDW. I'll always have a love for Disney, but it just won't ever be the same for me. While the changes may be good for many, it has left me behind and uninterested. Perhaps a trip to Disneyland with less planning less stress and etc. But with the way this world is right now, that won't be anytime soon either.

I have started very few threads in all the years I've been on the DIS, wow did this one take off. I've enjoyed the thoughts and opinions of everyone who has contributed. I have read each and every post. It's also refreshing to see that almost all of the posts have been respectful of the other person's thoughts and opinions as well. I hope and pray you all have a Happy, Safe, and Healthy New Year!

Thank you and Happy New Year as well! This has been a productive thread for people walking through their options: on vs off property, splitting time with other parks, etc

I think I've been less likely to cancel Disney trips because they are not a majority of my travelling. I'm lucky that I have significant time off from work and live near a major airport, so getting around the US and to Europe (pre-2020) is relatively easy. That means Disney still feels like more of an event, and I really try not to compare current trips with previous ones.

We decided not to go to DisneyWorld this December, but went to Disneyland instead. We did 3 days at Disney (12/14 - 12/16) and did other things in LA for the rest of the week (food walking/studio/ghost tours). Of course, they put in Genie only couple of days before we went, but we ended up not using it. We rope dropped every day (easier for us being from the East Coast) and were able to get on all the bigger rides doing that. We did not get on ROTR until the 3rd day as it kept breaking down the prior 2 days (but boy was that fun!). Once you got to late morning, all the big rides were long waits. So the rope drop was the winning strategy for us there; everything is more compact than DW so I felt we could get to rides more quickly. We could then 'stop and smell the roses' during the afternoon/evening.

I am glad we went to Disneyland instead; I don't know if/when we will go back to DW (been our go-to place for years). I am looking for alternatives. Disney was a good compromise between a thrill riding DD and a 'rides nothing that spins or goes up and down fast' DH. I have heard people mention Dollywood, but when I looked it up, it appeared to be mostly thrill rides. Is there more to it than that?

We decided not to go to DisneyWorld this December, but went to Disneyland instead. We did 3 days at Disney (12/14 - 12/16) and did other things in LA for the rest of the week (food walking/studio/ghost tours). Of course, they put in Genie only couple of days before we went, but we ended up not using it. We rope dropped every day (easier for us being from the East Coast) and were able to get on all the bigger rides doing that. We did not get on ROTR until the 3rd day as it kept breaking down the prior 2 days (but boy was that fun!). Once you got to late morning, all the big rides were long waits. So the rope drop was the winning strategy for us there; everything is more compact than DW so I felt we could get to rides more quickly. We could then 'stop and smell the roses' during the afternoon/evening.

I am glad we went to Disneyland instead; I don't know if/when we will go back to DW (been our go-to place for years). I am looking for alternatives. Disney was a good compromise between a thrill riding DD and a 'rides nothing that spins or goes up and down fast' DH. I have heard people mention Dollywood, but when I looked it up, it appeared to be mostly thrill rides. Is there more to it than that?

Silver Dollar City is run by the same company as Dollywood and has more themed experiences and shows for DH, in addition to some crazy thrill rides. Most theme parks outside of Disney and Universal are either thrill heavy or kiddie rides. Busch Gardens Tampa has large animal exhibits like AK, Busch Gardens Virginia is mostly thrill rides but has some shows and is right down the road from Colonial Williamsburg.

Silver Dollar City is run by the same company as Dollywood and has more themed experiences and shows for DH, in addition to some crazy thrill rides. Most theme parks outside of Disney and Universal are either thrill heavy or kiddie rides. Busch Gardens Tampa has large animal exhibits like AK, Busch Gardens Virginia is mostly thrill rides but has some shows and is right down the road from Colonial Williamsburg.
Thanks!! I will definitely check out Silver Dollar City!

I think if you don’t stay in deluxe resorts or eat their rip-off food you can afford a disney vacation and not be in the hole at all.

you don’t need to stay in disney property there’s no incentive, at all.

I have an AP and am OOS but have been going and staying at the resorts since they reopened last year. I was explaining to friends how complicated and stressful planning a trip has become and they were so shocked to hear this from me after decades of enjoying myself. I was always the “Disney Person” that someone recommended would be happy to help. I’m sorry to say I don’t recommend a WDW trip for a first timer. UO is cheaper, much easier to plan and navigate. A much better alternative for a first time visitor.
Same! But I've been happy to hear that THREE families I know have recently done their first WDW trip ) one has been but not in 8 years) and they all said it was awesome. They had wonderful trips!

After being double vax'd and still getting breakthrough over the summer and being very sick, we are determined to live our lives and WDW is important to us. We are going more not less and are determined to squeeze as much joy as we possibly can out of life - Disney included. AKV and OKW last month, BWV in May and SSR in September. Life is good!

We went back and forth after recovering...should we, shouldn't we, Genie+ (we didn't do it), the mask thing (it was fine) and all the chaos out there. We decided there has always been stress and life can be a challenge. Our time is limited so we went for it. We spent two glorious weeks with our son and DIL and are now back on track to continue our family tradition! BEST TRIP EVER!

That being said everyone needs to follow their heart. If you aren't into it anymore there is plenty to see and do outside of Disney! We will continue to enjoy our happy place as long as we are able! Peace and joy!
:beach:
There's a lot of negativity here. I'd love to hear why it was your best trip- and I'm happy it was!

The negativity is starting to get a little silly.

People don’t like things they will complain. Disney’s own making I’m afraid when you water down so much people start picking up on little things that before they would otherwise gloss over as the rest of the experience was so good.

We officially downgraded from 14 nights at pop to all star. The saving was around £500. That more or less pays for universal tickets and hotel for 4 nights.

Still undecided if the move to offsite will happen as car prices are crazy

Went To Epcot recently and had a miserable time. Too much planning and too many lines lately. So I'm letting my Disney AP go. Upping my Universal and getting Volcano bay put back on my pass. There are other wonderful places to go in Florida.

Hawaii is on my bucket list and I hope to put my Disney money towards this dream trip. Also considering Dollywood and going back to Colonial Williamsburg.

There's nothing wrong with cancelling your Disney Trip.

fun read. I just got back from a week in DW - we stayed off-property for the first time (Margaritaville) and had a blast. The pool was awesome!

We did Epcot, MK, and HS - in that order - on different days. We were just there in October with park hopper tickets and didnt use them so no need this time - money saved!

First the pros:
  • Wait times were not accurate - in our favor! We found them to be much less than advertised - especially RoTR - it was posted as 245 minutes (ridiculous, i know) but we did it anyway - we were in the first shuttle in 75 minutes!
  • We enjoyed quick-service restaurants more instead of long sit-down meals - we had more time and more money! Ronto Wraps, for the win!
  • We rode just about everything we wanted to ride!
  • Love Oga's cantina and the entire Star Wars experience.
  • Lack of merchandise

Now the cons:
  • Genie+ and LL were a waste of time and money. Our last visit was pre-genie and we thought "this will be SOO much better when Genie comes out!" - yeah, wrong. We feel we didnt get any benefit at all from LL. They were at weird times and when we'd arrive, the stand-by times were relatively low so we felt like we wasted the LL.
  • While we are tech-savvy, MANY MANY MANY people are NOT which made park entrance, LL, and mobile orders incredibly tedious as we waited for the less tech inclined visitors to figure it out.
  • Scooters.
  • Disney Springs - I pine for the old days when I could park and quickly walk to a shop - the parking garages, security, and LINES to get INTO a store are terrible. There were a coupel dozen cast members with guide-lights directing us past the stage, and down along the road to queue up to spend money! Sorry, but I wont be back to disney spring for a LOOONG time...
  • Surly cast members - they're not all nice anymore! We were trying to watch a MK parade and a CM (Ian) just kept walking around in front of the crown yelling at kids who touched the rope or may have crossed the imaginary line with their crossed knees or pointed finger... or someone behind us that stood on a bench or wall... or any other reason to interrupt the "magic".
  • Queue managers seemed to get off on sending people through circuituous routes even when not necessary. It was just bizarre.
  • Magic Kingdom is gone. It has lost it's magic. Too many people, not enough rides or attractions.
  • Planning takes too much effort and creates too much stress - the stress I saw from my wife and mother-in-law over dining reservations took away the "magic"
I realize I went at the busiest time of the year and take that into account - and maybe it's me getting older - but it's just not worth the time and effort anymore. It's not fun and I want nothing more than to get home for a vacation FROM vacation. As others have said, there are better options out there and while a significant number of vacationers seem to be spending their money at Disney (probably first time visitors) - those of us who have been there several times before may just need to take a step back - lay on a beach - and let the first timers expereince the parks b/c despite the crowds, lines, prices, etc. - it's magical for them!

People don’t like things they will complain. Disney’s own making I’m afraid when you water down so much people start picking up on little things that before they would otherwise gloss over as the rest of the experience was so good.

We officially downgraded from 14 nights at pop to all star. The saving was around £500. That more or less pays for universal tickets and hotel for 4 nights.

Still undecided if the move to offsite will happen as car prices are crazy
Disney, aside there's a lot to complain about these days. We have 5 Domino's stores within 5 miles of our house. Not one would deliver last night due to a lack of drivers. Who would have thought two years ago you couldn't get Domino's to deliver Pizza. This seems to be where we're headed in this country right now. I would set your expectations low.

fun read. I just got back from a week in DW - we stayed off-property for the first time (Margaritaville) and had a blast. The pool was awesome!

We did Epcot, MK, and HS - in that order - on different days. We were just there in October with park hopper tickets and didnt use them so no need this time - money saved!

First the pros:
  • Wait times were not accurate - in our favor! We found them to be much less than advertised - especially RoTR - it was posted as 245 minutes (ridiculous, i know) but we did it anyway - we were in the first shuttle in 75 minutes!
  • We enjoyed quick-service restaurants more instead of long sit-down meals - we had more time and more money! Ronto Wraps, for the win!
  • We rode just about everything we wanted to ride!
  • Love Oga's cantina and the entire Star Wars experience.
  • Lack of merchandise

Now the cons:
  • Genie+ and LL were a waste of time and money. Our last visit was pre-genie and we thought "this will be SOO much better when Genie comes out!" - yeah, wrong. We feel we didnt get any benefit at all from LL. They were at weird times and when we'd arrive, the stand-by times were relatively low so we felt like we wasted the LL.
  • While we are tech-savvy, MANY MANY MANY people are NOT which made park entrance, LL, and mobile orders incredibly tedious as we waited for the less tech inclined visitors to figure it out.
  • Scooters.
  • Disney Springs - I pine for the old days when I could park and quickly walk to a shop - the parking garages, security, and LINES to get INTO a store are terrible. There were a coupel dozen cast members with guide-lights directing us past the stage, and down along the road to queue up to spend money! Sorry, but I wont be back to disney spring for a LOOONG time...
  • Surly cast members - they're not all nice anymore! We were trying to watch a MK parade and a CM (Ian) just kept walking around in front of the crown yelling at kids who touched the rope or may have crossed the imaginary line with their crossed knees or pointed finger... or someone behind us that stood on a bench or wall... or any other reason to interrupt the "magic".
  • Queue managers seemed to get off on sending people through circuituous routes even when not necessary. It was just bizarre.
  • Magic Kingdom is gone. It has lost it's magic. Too many people, not enough rides or attractions.
  • Planning takes too much effort and creates too much stress - the stress I saw from my wife and mother-in-law over dining reservations took away the "magic"
I realize I went at the busiest time of the year and take that into account - and maybe it's me getting older - but it's just not worth the time and effort anymore. It's not fun and I want nothing more than to get home for a vacation FROM vacation. As others have said, there are better options out there and while a significant number of vacationers seem to be spending their money at Disney (probably first time visitors) - those of us who have been there several times before may just need to take a step back - lay on a beach - and let the first timers expereince the parks b/c despite the crowds, lines, prices, etc. - it's magical for them!

Yes our experiences are certainly changing!! So tell me what you mean about scooters, are there more of them? It has become a tech world experience and for those who are not comfortable with it it will be such a challenge and sadly it has a negative impact on every one else. It can become so frustrating
to us all.

Yes we went to Marina Fiesta resort in Cabo and still breakfast and lunch by the pool ! Restaurants fully staffed and busy!! Great fishing and had our Dorado cooked at our resort restaurant!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter