Never used das before… neuropathy?

auralia

DIS Veteran
We have done Disney every other year since the kids were born (16 years) and own a small Dvc contract so I know the parks/Disney very well but have never thought about using DAS until now. I’m wondering if this is a reasonable thing for DAS or not. I know everyone is different and has different views I just want thoughts from others if I should apply/is it reasonable to apply.

Background I’m a nurse, work 12 hour shifts on the floor no problem. I got covid about 14 months ago (ironically from my husband I was vaccinated too). high fevers over 103 for 5 days and horrible neuropathy and burning skin sensations that kept me from sleeping for months. The constant burning that kept me up has subsided, but the neuropathy persists. It will keep me up at night and cause significant pain if triggered. My problem comes when I stand or sit still…. If i am walking the neuropathy stays at bay. I no longer sit in chairs at home for more than 20 min… I have to have my legs straight out or my feet/leg neuropathy becomes unbearable… end result is I walk a lot more so that’s a positive and I’ve rearranged my living room so I can lounge on the couch and not sit in a chair….. standing in a line that is more than 30-45 minutes long will trigger it…. Wheel chair won’t help… it will cause the same issue as standing still. If I’m walking I’m fine. Shifting weight doesn’t prevent it I have to be actively walking. That’s why work doesn’t bother me we never get to sit down lol 😂.

Recently at six flags I didn’t go on some rides with the kids due to the lines. I just walked around and they texted me when they were done. This was the day I began to think maybe I should apply for the DAS. If I can walk while “waiting” instead of wait in line it will help so much. But it feels wrong. I don’t have a major medical problem. I see the chiropractor weekly since covid and it has helped but it just won’t go away. Not diabetic a1c normal. Therapeutic hypothyroid for over 20 years. All labs normal. Post covid neuropathy is the best guess since it started when I was very sick with covid. Hubby had similar nerve symptoms when he had it but his went away at about 4 weeks.

Thanks for the input/thoughts.

I have significant chemo-induced neuropathy that affects mobility. I need to use a cane to walk and can’t stand for long. I’m not eligible for DAS as I was told I could use a wheelchair or scooter. Things may be different for you.

So...you can certainly request a DAS. Just be prepared that it may be denied. As PP mentioned, Disney typically considers this a stamina/mobility issue and will recommend a wheelchair/ECV. If changing positions helps, you can use a wheelchair and push/sit/push as needed. If that won't work, try PP's suggestion of having your family provide a buffer so you can move in the queue -- pacing, stretching, knee bends, march in place, etc. Most queues are not "stand still" for 20+ minutes but rather slow walking. Even the LL's won't avoid 15+ minutes in the queue. Just be aware of some of the shows that have a pre-show "gathering room" before they let you be seated in the theater as those pack in pretty tight, or even the length of the shows could be too long for you.

I have a friend who has gotten a DAS based on neuropathy. Others do not understand it but plead your case. Best wishes.
Not everybody with the same diagnosis has the same needs. I have neuropathy myself, but it doesn't cause the exact same issues for me that OP describes.

The best you can do is honestly describe the reasons why you can't wait in the standby queue environment and see what happens. And make sure to have a backup plan in case they decide that the DAS isn't the appropriate accommodation (and, as others have described, situations in which the LL is 20 minutes or longer).

I agree with @HopperFan - our family calls it "bubbling", and we will make a "bubble" in line for the person who needs room to pace. We also have a person with extreme claustrophobia who can ride some rides, but the lines tend to be a problem.

When we "bubble" a line, we have one family member at the front, to keep the pace, and one at the rear of the bubble to prevent anyone pushing in from the rear. The person who needs the bubble is in between; we have found that most folks (behind us) will tolerate a bubble between 3 to 4 feet without any issues, even when it's busy. As long as you keep moving the bubble with the line, no one cares.

The whole thing with DAS is don't worry about diagnosis - talk with Disney about *why* you need to wait outside the regular queue. Remember that it won't be a front-of-the-line pass; you will still have to go through the Lightning Lane entrance, and wait in that portion of the line, so if you are granted a DAS, be prepared with your family to use the "bubble" to get you through the LL, and on to the ride.

I have significant chemo-induced neuropathy that affects mobility. I need to use a cane to walk and can’t stand for long. I’m not eligible for DAS as I was told I could use a wheelchair or scooter. Things may be different for you.
Same. I have CIPN and I had to get a mobility device. I did get a DAS but not for the neuropathy.

Same. I have CIPN and I had to get a mobility device. I did get a DAS but not for the neuropathy.
Nice to meet you! So little is known about CIPN I’ve been feeling like the only one. I even met with my long ago oncologist to see what he knew about it.

Nice to meet you! So little is known about CIPN I’ve been feeling like the only one. I even met with my long ago oncologist to see what he knew about it.
Nice to meet you too.

Weirdly enough I knew what Neuropathy was (family friend had it and we used to room together) so when it was mentioned as a possible side effect I recognized it immediately when it hit me.

I'm about to start my second chemo round and they started to explain it was a possibility and I was like 'dude I still have it from the first round' :laughing:

I know they probably have you on Gabapentin but there's a new field of PT centered on CIPN and other chemo/cancer based physical side effects and if you can get a referral I recommend it. It does help. I expect they'll send me back to it.

Nice to meet you too.

Weirdly enough I knew what Neuropathy was (family friend had it and we used to room together) so when it was mentioned as a possible side effect I recognized it immediately when it hit me.

I'm about to start my second chemo round and they started to explain it was a possibility and I was like 'dude I still have it from the first round' :laughing:

I know they probably have you on Gabapentin but there's a new field of PT centered on CIPN and other chemo/cancer based physical side effects and if you can get a referral I recommend it. It does help. I expect they'll send me back to it.
I have it as a late effect from Cisplatin longer ago (I’m a long term stage 3 ovarian cancer survivor). My oncologist wanted to do a late effects study, but NIH didn’t fund it. I’m happy to be here and still enjoying WDW.

I have it as a late effect from Cisplatin longer ago (I’m a long term stage 3 ovarian cancer survivor). My oncologist wanted to do a late effects study, but NIH didn’t fund it. I’m happy to be here and still enjoying WDW.
Again same. Ovarian Stage 3ciii. I was in remission, but have a small reoccurrence so it's back to chemo but I am in the platinum sensitive group so I get to do another round of front line instead of trying to find a trial or experimental.. Carboplatin/Doxy/BEV this go around.

Also happy to still be upright and breathing.

Again same. Ovarian Stage 3ciii. I was in remission, but have a small reoccurrence so it's back to chemo but I am in the platinum sensitive group so I get to do another round of front line instead of trying to find a trial or experimental.. Carboplatin/Doxy/BEV this go around.

Also happy to still be upright and breathing.
Sending you all the positive energy!

I hope it works out for you. I have no idea what guidelines they use, but I would think that if you have to go to the extent of trying to form a 4 foot buffer in lines in order to move around to prevent pain, that sounds like a good case to me for an accomodation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter