New Animal Encounters at Animal Kingdom

Exactly.

Folks, they aren't going to release critters in the parks and let them fend for themselves, or let the guests fend off the animals.

I hope they have free roaming animals in Avatar-land! One of those six-legged rhinoceros things would really thin out the crowds!

In all serious, I am sure the welfare of the animals is of foremost concern and that this will be monitored. Our zoo often brings out a snake to pet, and it is not harmful to the animal and is educational for the guests. I'm sure it will be fine.

If I see a "free roaming" tarantula, there will be a new lawsuit akin to the grandma who "died after her son got bit by a snake...." My DH will sue to have his trip comp'ed after I drop dead on the spot.

Oh no, please no more birds. Last time we were there (the week before Christmas) we were on the trail to see the gorillas and had to walk through that little bird area. I felt something wet hit me and mentioned it but kind of in passing because we had a gully washer the day before and my son was teasing me that it was my fault for saying it hadn't rained yet. Anyway, we get out of the trail and kind of look down at my shirt sleeve (brand new white shirt) and there is a big purple blob on it. Well crap, I say ( I didn't say crap but I'm not allowed to say what I said) and bird sh((((( on me. My son laughed and said "Um mom that is not the only place." Before the day was over we discovered a huge blob on my shoulder, drops on my back lots of drops on my favorite pink UGA cap (those didn't come out) and more drops on the hem of my shirt. Looked like I had been in a very bad accident. We had ADRS for Tiffins and I didn't really have time to grab a bus and go back to Dolphin and change so I had to sit there in Tiffins looking like a victim of a very bad attack. So no more birds please.

If it is done well and monitored it can be a lot of fun for guests as well as a way to teach about the animals and conservation. I used to work for the Audubon, and we would do many events where we brought the birds or reptiles out into public areas, or even have kids birthday parties that involved a specific animal with appropriate fun and learning activities. I worked mostly with raptors (owls, hawks, falcons) and we always brought newspapers to block any bodily functions :)

They do(or used to) do something similar at Busch Gardens in Tampa with birds like Flamingos. It was like a small parade. The staff member would lead them from one place to another. I have seen pictures of other places, I can't remember where, doing it with penguins too.

Thank you for the article and I'm glad it's here now so posters who thought the animals would be walking, flying, crawling around without any human supervision can be relieved. Also, the article says a lot will be done before the park opens and I would guess that if an animal is comfortable with the situation, he/she would encounter guests during regular park hours but always with a "trainer".

And BTW - there are a lot of animals already walking, flying and crawling around Animal Kingdom. There are lots of lizards, birds and other creatures going around. That's a fun part of our vacation. Seeing my husband just veer off to the side of a walkway and stare up or down and watch an animal. He's also stopped people coming out of It's a Bug's Life because there was a little lizard trying to walk along with the humans and my husband didn't want the little guy to get hurt. He didn't hold anyone up but kept telling people to avoid the lizard. He got one smart butt comment and said, "I guess it's tough to be a bug but it's OK to be a lizard" and the people around us cracked up.

Build some more natural habitats and leave the poor critters alone and away the guests.

Not to distract from your actual point, but I think you forgot your quotation marks around "natural". After all, there's nothing more natural than a man-made habitat enclosing relocated, non-native animals. :rolleyes1

Not to distract from your actual point, but I think you forgot your quotation marks around "natural". After all, there's nothing more natural than a man-made habitat enclosing relocated, non-native animals. :rolleyes1

Touché!

I'm just anti-animal touching, I prefer looking and observing. Observing is much more educational.

Don't all zoos? It suits the habitat that peacocks like. It's rather neat how they will roam and naturally contain themselves in a small area. It's something I'd have never learned if they didn't offer them at our zoo

Unfortunately quite a few zoos had to stop doing this as guests were being abusive to the birds without constant supervision. However this supervised encounter program, which is done at other zoos, could work. It's good they test it out now with lower crowds, work up to bigger crowds, and see if it's manageable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter