• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Avatar rides - questions

kristennn

Mouseketeer
do people get motion sick often on flight of passage? the other one is just like a boat ride right?

If you are prone to motion sickness, there is a chance that you will feel it on FoP. It in not as likely as Mission Space, but it can affect some people. Na’vi River is just a boat ride and very mild.

I haven't seen anyone with severe motion sickness like Mission Space. I have read reports from a fair number of people who have problems with motion sickness feeling a little queasy when they get off the ride. You can search for similar threads.
Navi is a very gentle boat ride. No drops or anything.

A ride like Star Tours at HS is rough for me, and I have to really take my time after riding that ride so that I don't feel sick. With FOP though, I didn't have much of a problem. I probably wouldn't do it twice in a row as to not tempt it, but I think it's fine.

I get sick on Mission Space (green) and Star Tours. FOP didn’t make me sick, but I did feel a tiny bit off after riding. I recovered quickly though. I would do it again because it was totally worth it, just not twice in a row.

I occasionally have a tough time with Star Tours, have no problem with Mission Space green. FoP gets me just a little bit, but I'm good by the time the fairly long walk to the gift shop is done. I kind of agree that I don't think I'd want to try it twice in a row (although the wait for the second time would likely negate it). I'd say give it a try (it also helps that they blow air on you the whole ride); if you're not feeling it, you can always close your eyes.

(The one that used to really get me was Body Wars...ugh)

I was sick (nauseous) the first day we were at AK after FoP opened. As we had FP+, I decided to try FoP and see if I’d be ok. I felt totally fine.

I felt much worse when riding Dinosaur.

The only time I've felt sick on FOP was when I rode the attraction back to back (rope drop and then FP+). I was very relieved I didn't get sick because there wasn't a trash can from the point you get off the banshee until the exit of the gift shop.

First, Navi River is just a simple boat ride. No drops, no water sprays. It is like It's a Small World except in a dark, alien jungle.

On my first FoP ride I quickly got disoriented until I started to focus my attention on the 'ride leader'. Part of the story line behind the ride is that you will be following the ride leader. But in all of the complexity of the visuals I didn't find the ride leader before the action started. Once I had my focus on the ride leader I could anticipate the action. My thoughts shifted to be more like driving the ride than riding the ride. Then it really became fun!

The IMAX 3D visuals are very immersive. Even more than Soarin' or Star Tours. Like Soarin' the physical motion of FoP is gentle. It is the visuals of FoP that are intense. The sense of height and speed become very real to your mind. I feel that if you go into the ride knowing this you are prepared to enjoy the experience.

I am very prone to motion sickness and had to keep my eyes closed almost the whole time on FoP. There was one small part where we were still and my husband told me to open my eyes, which was amazing. But the second it started back up I had to close again. It was cool just listening to other riders reactions.

That card they hand you when you get in the line was the only thing that bothered me. It caused me to second guess myself and almost not ride. I have no motion problems with rides other than Forbidden Journey at Universal. (Didn’t get sick, but just got an unpleasant feeling).

I focused on the leader while on FOP and it was great. Thanks to DIS I knew what to expect other than that they hand you that warning card and tell you to read it. I’ve never been on a ride that did that until FOP.

I rode FOP last year without knowing anything about the ride. Bad idea for me. I tried looking away, closing my eyes, I still almost got sick. I love Soarin', can handle MS green, but can't do Star Tours or any real coasters any more. I hated Universal because of rides like this.
I wanted to try again to see if I could love the ride. This summer, I took Dramamine in the morning. I knew what to expect. I still had to close my eyes and look away from the screen, and I still almost got sick when I got off. I couldn't eat anything the rest of the day (for me, that's pretty bad lol). I will say, if you look behind you while the ride is going, that is pretty cool.
Navi River Journey is lovely, but honestly doesn't make sense unless you really remember the movie. The first time I rode it, I hadn't watched Avatar in years and didn't remember anything about it. I made a point to watch it before our next trip and I really appreciated the ride after that. It's beautiful.

I have a very specific kind of motion sickness that seems to mostly revolve around videos or film, meaning I'm fine in cars or roller coasters, but if I'm reading in a car I will start to feel nauseated, and if I'm watching something like a handheld camera/phone filmed video I will feel sick for the next day. This also extends to IMAX 3D movies (only way I can explain it is that I feel like my eyes can't keep up with rendering the 3D and then get motion sick). At Disney, I can get a bit queasy on Soarin' (if not in the middle) and Mission Space can make me feel a bit off at the launch part, but I've never gotten full out motion sick on it. I put off trying FoP because I assumed it would make me feel sick, but finally tried it earlier this week, and unfortunately, it did make me feel motion sick. It was the same sensation as 3D IMAX movies (eyes feel like they aren't keeping up) combined with my normal jostled recording type motion sick because the ride kind of combines both. I did, however, recover pretty quickly from it after sitting for a few minutes and taking some non-drowsy Dramamine. I also made sure to not close my eyes, as I do feel like that makes it worse for me if I've already started feeling a bit nauseated.

Editing to add that I rarely get motion sick on Star Tours, but in the multiple times I've rode on it I've always been seated close to the middle, which seems to help for me (also, this is one where I can close my eyes if I start to feel anything, maybe because it is a bigger space?)

Last edited:
I felt nauseous after riding FOP. And im not overly sensitive! I rode it once, but never again. Other rides that get me nauseous are Star Tours and Mission Space.

I have a very specific kind of motion sickness that seems to mostly revolve around videos or film, meaning I'm fine in cars or roller coasters, but if I'm reading in a car I will start to feel nauseated, and if I'm watching something like a handheld camera/phone filmed video I will feel sick for the next day. This also extends to IMAX 3D movies (only way I can explain it is that I feel like my eyes can't keep up with rendering the 3D and then get motion sick). At Disney, I can get a bit queasy on Soarin' (if not in the middle) and Mission Space can make me feel a bit off at the launch part, but I've never gotten full out motion sick on it. I put off trying FoP because I assumed it would make me feel sick, but finally tried it earlier this week, and unfortunately, it did make me feel motion sick. It was the same sensation as 3D IMAX movies (eyes feel like they aren't keeping up) combined with my normal jostled recording type motion sick because the ride kind of combines both. I did, however, recover pretty quickly from it after sitting for a few minutes and taking some non-drowsy Dramamine. I also made sure to not close my eyes, as I do feel like that makes it worse for me if I've already started feeling a bit nauseated.

Editing to add that I rarely get motion sick on Star Tours, but in the multiple times I've rode on it I've always been seated close to the middle, which seems to help for me (also, this is one where I can close my eyes if I start to feel anything, maybe because it is a bigger space?)
Im actually the same as you. I get queasy when I watch hand held cameras on film. Some IMAX 3D movies get to me too, but not all. Its usually fine. Motion simulator rides are hard for me for sure. I'll feel nauseous, but it'll go away fairly quick in most cases....and ive never actually vomited from a ride. I dont normally take anything for it...but maybe I should.

I felt a little dizzy for a bit after FOP, but it was absolutely worth it. I would not ride it twice in a row, but I rode it again a few hours later. We could have picked up another FP for a 3rd ride, but I decided 2 a day was probably my limit. I would absolutely get on it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter