New bar menu on Dream

Just to check since I was curious. In Mexico at Epcot, chips and guacamole at La Cantina de San Angel is $10.75 and you dont get queso or salsa.

I stand by my thoughts ... it isnt that crazy.

To me, it is that crazy. As far as I know, Epcot doesn't have any places where the food is included with park admittance. DCL has most of the food included. I understand the upcharge for Palo. I don't for bar food when you can get very similar quality food for nothing on the top deck or from room service at the same time.

I think comparing a cruise upcharge to a land based full priced restaurant is apples to oranges. Dinner at Palo's on land would not be $30. So for chips and dip to be 1/4 the price of Palo's dinner or a slider, of any type, to be half the cost of Palo's dinner is out there IMO. This is "snacks" we are talking about.

Yes, I curious to hear reports from cruisers to see if they are eliminating the free options. Same with the ice cream. Is there still soft serve now that the Dream has the new for-pay gelato shop?

Yes, Scott showed pictures of the soft serve area still in place next to the new one on his twitter feed.

Just to check since I was curious. In Mexico at Epcot, chips and guacamole at La Cantina de San Angel is $10.75 and you dont get queso or salsa.

I stand by my thoughts ... it isnt that crazy.
I guess the issue I have is - when I go into the bar, and want a little something to hold me over until I can get to dinner, I usually only get like 4/5 chips and tablespoon of salsa, maybe 5/6 celery & carrots with, again, a small amount of blue cheese dip.

I don't want a whole little meal just before (or just after) my main meal.

$8.00 seems pricey for a small snack. And I certainly don't want to pay that for something larger that's going to interfere with my dinner enjoyment.

I guess the issue I have is - when I go into the bar, and want a little something to hold me over until I can get to dinner, I usually only get like 4/5 chips and tablespoon of salsa, maybe 5/6 celery & carrots with, again, a small amount of blue cheese dip.

I don't want a whole little meal just before (or just after) my main meal.

$8.00 seems pricey for a small snack. And I certainly don't want to pay that for something larger that's going to interfere with my dinner enjoyment.

I am lost...

So you are upset that they are charging for a snack you feel is too large and would spoil your dinner?

I am lost...

So you are upset that they are charging for a snack you feel is too large and would spoil your dinner?
I'm not upset, I just feel that a snack is something small. If I order something that I'm paying extra for, I'd expect it to be more than I would want for a little something to hold me over to dinner.

It's fine that you feel that it's worth the extra cost. I don't think it is. Both valid opinions.

I feel like I have been jinxed-since I paid for my cruise the changes are no more Mickey Mail, more limited quiet cove hours at the adult pool and hot tubs, no more carry-on DH's good scotch he likes to sip on the balcony before bedtime, now maybe no more free snacks if we are visiting the bars to check them out, and maybe no more ice cream on demand. I am bummed, but determined to "Let It Go" and have a wonderful time anyway! (But I do have a seven day NCL booked for Alaska with the Ultimate Beverage Package free!)

$8 for a trio of dips and chips?
$18 for tempera shrimp?

Are they out of their minds!?!
Yes they are, read on to find out why...

OMG...Disney is out of there minds.... at least the "up charge" items on NCL are reasonably priced.
I can see a few bucks as noted on the gelato menu. That is reasonable for a one off treat.

That seems reasonable. If I belly up to the bar at Applebees I'll pay about that for chips and queso.
But you didn't spend a few grand to get there to do it.

@PrincessTrisha, PALO reservations are $25 $30 per person. Those tempera shrimp should come in a serving size of 36 and be individually prepared by a chef who sings show tunes!
So The reason for a Palo upcharge is for service (wait staff and cooks preparing food to order) and premium ingredients. I guess you can throw in the decor as well.

@TXDCLfan and @DCLDVC1, these appear to be new offerings. I would suspect that the cost of these is not included in the dining room cost as you would anticipate most of your Palo dinner is. You would still likely go have dinner. So the cost of these items would have to be accounted for. Is $18 for shrimp acceptable, I guess people will vote with their wallets.

Last edited:
Stock up at the store on the way to the cruise and bring some snacks with you to 687. That is until they begin, like a cork fee, charging you at the door to bring it in and open it there! Seriously though, personally would forgo the food menu while there rather than pay so much more.

I think comparing a cruise upcharge to a land based full priced restaurant is apples to oranges. Dinner at Palo's on land would not be $30. So for chips and dip to be 1/4 the price of Palo's dinner or a slider, of any type, to be half the cost of Palo's dinner is out there IMO. This is "snacks" we are talking about.
Agree. $8 is not an up charge. That is what chips and dip cost at a restaurant on land. And they use to put out the chips and dip for free so they are not adding anything. They are taking something away that use to be free and now charging for it.

I'm not upset, I just feel that a snack is something small. If I order something that I'm paying extra for, I'd expect it to be more than I would want for a little something to hold me over to dinner.

It's fine that you feel that it's worth the extra cost. I don't think it is. Both valid opinions.

The size of the snack is pure speculation until somebody posts a picture.

Appetizers like that can be quite big (and ruin ones appetite for a meal).

I'll be on the Dream between Christmas and New Years, so there may be a couple of games on that I will want to watch (my Panthers had a big game when I was on last year). Being that I am in a sports bar, I think it is natural to expect to have a menu to choose snacks from. When I cruise I plan to spend money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter