New buses and ECVs

A scooter should NEVER tip if properly secured. The restraints are built so that when used properly, even if the bus rolls the scooter should stay in place. Not doubting those of you who saw one start to tip. But that was not secured properly. Imagine if one tipped over on someone and they were hurt.
A huge issue is that there are great inconsistencies in wheelchair and ECV design with respect to where and how to tie down the equipment properly. If you've seen one ECV, you've only seen one- the next model may be completely different. And not to mention that there is often a person on the ECV as someone is trying to tie it down.

Been riding on new busses this week several times. Pictures show less seating on first level, but there’s actually about as much as old busses. The difference is that most of the lower seats are like the stadium or theater seats that automatically flip up when empty, on a spring of some sort. So, if there is not a wheelchair in the spot, you just pull down the individual seat to sit.

If all the wheelchair/ECV spots are in use, how many seats are available on the first level for others?
I rode them two weeks ago. There were no permanent seats. All folded up for the devices. When we got on as second party, all seats were folded up. Group in front of us immediately folded a section, most of us walked through to go up to second level. I looked down to see another group reach and the whole section folded down for them. I didn't watch the remaining seats get folded. Perhaps if wheelchairs sit in the two larger spots and the seats work independently you might get a seat folded. Even without devices there were less seats than the old buses.

Been riding on new busses this week several times. Pictures show less seating on first level, but there’s actually about as much as old busses. The difference is that most of the lower seats are like the stadium or theater seats that automatically flip up when empty, on a spring of some sort. So, if there is not a wheelchair in the spot, you just pull down the individual seat to sit.
Not true.

Old buses have parking for two devices forfeiting 6 seats, and if there are two devices on the bus there is still @ 9 stationary seats for other guests to sit.

New buses have parking for three devices and if there three devices on the bus there will be no seats for other guests to sit because all the seats on that level are fold up for the devices. Even with only two devices there would still be only 3-4 seats for other guests.

Old bus - that entire side to left of photo, and front ones on right are stationery.

1710120133977.png

New bus - none are stationery they fold up for the devices to fit.

1710120520954.png

I rode them two weeks ago. There were no permanent seats. All folded up for the devices. When we got on as second party, all seats were folded up. Group in front of us immediately folded a section, most of us walked through to go up to second level. I looked down to see another group reach and the whole section folded down for them. I didn't watch the remaining seats get folded. Perhaps if wheelchairs sit in the two larger spots and the seats work independently you might get a seat folded. Even without devices there were less seats than the old buses.

Not true.

Old buses have parking for two devices forfeiting 6 seats, and if there are two devices on the bus there is still @ 9 stationary seats for other guests to sit.

New buses have parking for three devices and if there three devices on the bus there will be no seats for other guests to sit because all the seats on that level are fold up for the devices. Even with only two devices there would still be only 3-4 seats for other guests.

Old bus - that entire side to left of photo, and front ones on right are stationery.

View attachment 840823

New bus - none are stationery they fold up for the devices to fit.

View attachment 840825

Did you happen to observe anyone using the new "squeezers"? (sorry, I know they have a proper name, it's just... that's what they do to you & your device 😂 ) I'm really curious about how they work; if they are actually fast in real world applications, and if they hold mobility devices snugly, but without causing damage.

Last edited:
Did you happen to observe anyone using the new "squeezers"? (sorry, I know they have a proper name, it's just... that's what they do to you & your device 😂 ) I'm really curious about how they work; if they are actually fast in real world applications, and if they hold mobility devices snugly, but without causing damage.
We haven't been to WDW yet to see them, but they are in use in city transit in buses. From the videos I've seen, they appear to work well for power wheelchairs and ECVs. One of the issues with ECVs is that they tend to tip over sideways, even if correctly tied down - especially the 3 wheeled ones. The areas they can be tied down on are relatively low.
We won't be able to use the new restraint devices with our daughter's manual wheelchair. Hers is transit ready and crash tested; the documentation says it MUST be forward facing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter