New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

Looking at the pic for the new bus, where do the standing children hang on? Or the shorter teens/adults who are not tall enough for the overhead handles? The previous buses had plenty of poles and things for shorter guests to hold onto when they loaded the “standing room only” group.

Looking at the pic for the new bus, where do the standing children hang on? Or the shorter teens/adults who are not tall enough for the overhead handles? The previous buses had plenty of poles and things for shorter guests to hold onto when they loaded the “standing room only” group.
My guess is the back of the seats?

Are you saying that if all 3 of the HA spots are taken by mobility devices, that leaves only 19 spots for sitting? Sounds as if a parent holding a toddler could get sore arms!
Yes. There are NO regular seats on the entry level of the bus. There are 19 seats after you climb the stairs to the second level of the bus. If there are 3 mobility devices on the bus there will be no seating on the lower level. So either the families will stand with their person on the mobility device or they take up the seats on the upper level. It means if three devices load with full families there will be next to no seats left for anyone else.

Not much to hold on to other than straps. Here is the photo of higher up space. I really don't know the thought process here.

423454386_1344932932883030_3959964360976210642_n.jpg

There are NO regular seats on the entry level of the bus. There are 19 seats after you climb the stairs to the second level of the bus. If there are 3 mobility devices on the bus there will be no seating on the lower level.
This also means anyone with balance issues who cannot climb steps needs to identify themselves to the CMs at the bus stops and to the drivers so that they can make sure they are allowed to sit in the designated seating even though that means fewer mobility devices will be loaded.

Surely, after the scooter(s) are parked on the bus, not ALL of the fold up seats need to stay folded, right?

I haven’t been on a new bus yet, but I have a small ECV. I’m guessing it may mean 1 seat stays folded since there’s already a empty space without seats closer to the new tie down units. Hopefully, maybe my ECV will fit without affecting any of the fold down seats. I used to easily guide into the previous tie down spaces with room to spare.

Surely, after the scooter(s) are parked on the bus, not ALL of the fold up seats need to stay folded, right?
Each spot had a “bench” of seats. When the folks used them, the entire “bench” - I think 4 seats came down. It appears all or nothing so if there are 3 devices parked there will be no seating on that level. Maybe the driver can unlock them??

Oh, Oh-it sounds as if we mobility device users might get more dirty looks now that we've made it so that people who formerly got to sit on buses now have to stand more often (like this is all our fault! But you gotta blame someone!) And not only do they have to stand, but their kids may have to stand and try to hold on to SOMETHING. Not well thought out. All this for only one more mobility device?

So I missed where the third scooter or wheel chair goes... I know about the ones in the front... are there lock downs and seat belts for the stadium seats area to get another one in there?

This also means anyone with balance issues who cannot climb steps needs to identify themselves to the CMs at the bus stops and to the drivers so that they can make sure they are allowed to sit in the designated seating even though that means fewer mobility devices will be loaded.

I have days where my balance is not great, and I will start planning to maybe have to grab a cab. Most of the time scooters (which I also sometimes use at the parks) load first.

Not sure what Disney is thinking with this bus design at all.

So I missed where the third scooter or wheel chair goes... I know about the ones in the front... are there lock downs and seat belts for the stadium seats area to get another one in there?
There is also a traditional tie down opposite of the ramp like the former buses. If there isn’t a third wheelchair/scooter, there is a 3-seat bench that folds down there that could be used by those who need to sit. This is the only tie down that allows forward-facing travel, as well.

Thanks, @LoveToDisney !

I was just looking at that original article again (I linked in post #127), and it states that if seats closest to the new ecv/wc parking area are not in use, the seats fold up automatically, but can be unfolded if people want to use them to sit. And in the photo, it looks like they can fold down individually, but maybe someone who has been on one of these buses can confirm.

New Buses Debut at Walt Disney World
https://blogmickey.com/2024/02/new-buses-debut-at-walt-disney-world/

Last edited:
OK, just thought of something else about there only being 19 seats for people to sit on the bus. I hope the bus drivers only allow one person to board with the person using the mobility devise, otherwise there could be NO seats available when he opens the front door and everyone will have to stand. I know that when we were on a family trip of 7 people, one using an ECV, when I was pre-boarded and DH came with me, everyone else in our family went forward to the regular line. More often than not, the bus driver would call out to them to come back and board. Often, the bus driver woulds mention having seen everyone at the bus stop, so when just DH and I got on, he'd ask "where's everyone else?" I kind of wish the bus drivers would enforce the rule that airlines usually do-that just one person is allowed to pre board with the person needing it.

OK, just thought of something else about there only being 19 seats for people to sit on the bus. I hope the bus drivers only allow one person to board with the person using the mobility device, otherwise there could be NO seats available when he opens the front door and everyone will have to stand. I know that when we were on a family trip of 7 people, one using an ECV, when I was pre-boarded and DH came with me, everyone else in our family went forward to the regular line. More often than not, the bus driver would call out to them to come back and board. Often, the bus driver woulds mention having seen everyone at the bus stop, so when just DH and I got on, he'd ask "where's everyone else?" I kind of wish the bus drivers would enforce the rule that airlines usually do- that just one person is allowed to pre board with the person needing it.
Yeah, I’ve seen as many as 20 people all accompanying ONE scooter, and if their scooter was 2nd to board, they would argue with the bus driver that since they’re a bigger party, they should get on first over the person that was first in line with their party.

OK, just thought of something else about there only being 19 seats for people to sit on the bus. I hope the bus drivers only allow one person to board with the person using the mobility devise, otherwise there could be NO seats available when he opens the front door and everyone will have to stand. I know that when we were on a family trip of 7 people, one using an ECV, when I was pre-boarded and DH came with me, everyone else in our family went forward to the regular line. More often than not, the bus driver would call out to them to come back and board. Often, the bus driver woulds mention having seen everyone at the bus stop, so when just DH and I got on, he'd ask "where's everyone else?" I kind of wish the bus drivers would enforce the rule that airlines usually do-that just one person is allowed to pre board with the person needing it.
there are times that more than one person has to board with EVC. I have told the story many times when we had guest complain because as a party of 3 were boarded as a group. this 3 was 2 grandparents and a 4 year old special needs child. I needed husband's help and yet another guest expected me to be able to control a runner special needs child from ECV. guest complained a lot about 3 being loaded. I even offered to let him bring child on with him. he did not like that idea. Driver/ CM let us all on with no problem

We used to be a party of 3 years ago and I do think it makes sense to let all 3 board together so no one is alone. Especially in a situation like yours. 4+ though, should be one with the person using the device and the other two in the regular line.

We used to be a party of 3 years ago and I do think it makes sense to let all 3 board together so no one is alone. Especially in a situation like yours. 4+ though, should be one with the person using the device and the other two in the regular line.
4 could also depend on ages involved. are you going to trust a 7 or 8 year old to stand in line by self? same situation but add another young child

4 could also depend on ages involved. are you going to trust a 7 or 8 year old to stand in line by self? same situation but add another young child
True. The last time I went to Disney with a child in my party was probably 20 years ago, so that didn’t occur to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter