New Car thoughts

I'm a bit iffy on the Lincolns because they only had 4 on the lot, so probably just enough to keep the franchise sign lit so parts are probably tough to get & who needs the headache. Cadillac and Jeep dealers seem well stocked so I'm leaning towards one of those.
Are there no shortages of cars where you live?

In my area it has nothing to do with the vehicle parts in terms of what is on their lots. Chip shortages and cargo ship shortages are responsible for shortages. I actually mentioned in another thread a few months back I was wary of the 1 and only dealership we've been to that a car sat unsold for more than a few days and had more vehicles. All the dealerships (luxury or otherwise) here are low on cars due to those shortages but that is not hand in hand with parts. If your concern is parts you'll have the problem no matter what car because that all depends on where the parts come from and what they are made out of. A lot of vehicles are waiting to sent out but the manufacturers lack the chips to install.

FWIW we went to a jeep dealership and they had 10 vehicles on the lot total and had multiple already sold (as was the case in many of the dealerships in our area). We didn't look at Cadillac though.

Many cars no longer have a spare. That was one of the reasons I bought the car I did, since it does have a spare. Most of the cars without a spare just give you a can of Fix A Flat, but whenever I have had a flat, it’s been too big a hole for Fix A Flat to fix. I need a real spare. If you do too, make sure you ask to see the spare before you sign on the dotted line. Don’t assume, even if they say it has one.
This is possibly the weirdest part of it because when the AAA lady asked me "DO you have a spare?" I was thinking, "Huh, of course there is a spare, we didn't sell it for cash." On the phone, I went through the exercise of looking anyway because maybe I'd need to use the jack to protect the rim and was stunned to find a box. Why on earth anyone would think your average person is equipped to craft with tire patch nonsense on the side of the road is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited:
We bought a new Camry Hybrid a year ago. We had a choice of 60 on the lot. Just checked, same dealer has 16 on their website, 15 listed as "in transit" and 1 listed as "in stock". They have just one. It is interesting to drive by the new car lots and see the lot almost empty.

My family has always been of the opinion that cars are not an investment therefore we don’t buy luxury. What we will do is upgrade to nicer features instead. We sometimes buy new but not always. Just depends what we’re in the market for. I am often shocked at what some people will pay just to have a luxury vehicle. (Our friend paid more monthly for his vehicle than we did for our house!) Simply not worth the name or the hassle of owning it to me. Just my two cents 😊
I don't think there is one car out there aside from the bottom of the barrel basic econobox that you won't ever find that is less of a payment assuming not extended beyond 5 years than my house payment was. $25k on a 5 year loan will get you above my house payment.

We bought a new Camry Hybrid a year ago. We had a choice of 60 on the lot. Just checked, same dealer has 16 on their website, 15 listed as "in transit" and 1 listed as "in stock". They have just one. It is interesting to drive by the new car lots and see the lot almost empty.
Interesting, yesterday, I was looking at a local dealer and got one count and when my husband looked from his device he got a completely different number. I don't get the strategy, are they hoping to lock people in with a deposit so they stop looking? Mental not to use a credit card.

Price range? When you say you're considering moving up to luxury, aka Cadillac or Lincoln, are you meaning a luxury brand or a luxury car? Most of these manufacturers have multiple SUVs ranging from compact to midsize to large, and in some cases, really large. Prices can range from mid-30s for the entry level models to COMFORTABLY over $100,000 for the high-end large models. So just to help narrow down the field, what kind of price range are you thinking of shopping in?
As for luxury - Jeep actually does do it - the Grand Cherokee is considered an entry-lux vehicle, and loaded up with all the options can go for about $50K, and even up to $90K for a loaded out Trackhawk edition with 707HP. And new for 2022 is the upcoming Wagoneer model, which is their larger upscale lux model, starting around $70K.
Also, not sure if you're set on American brands only, as pretty much everyone has multiple SUVs nowadays, and some of the hottest ones on the market are mid-lux large models from brands you wouldn't think of as 'luxury' yet they very much are - VW Atlas CrossSport, Hyundai Palasade, Kia Telluride, to name a few. Then you have the German luxury brands like BMW and Mercedes, the sporty smaller Euro brand choices like Alfa Romeo and Land Rover. Just about every manufacturer today has 3-6 different SUVs to choose from, and almost all have a higher-end well-equipped model.

This is possibly the weirdest part of it because when the AAA lady asked me "DO you have a spare?" I was thinking, "Huh, of course there is a spare, we didn't sell it for cash." On the phone, I went through the exercise of looking anyway because maybe I'd need to use the jack to protect the rim and was stunned to find a box. Why on earth anyone would think your average person is equipped to craft with tire patch nonsense on the side of the road is beyond my comprehension.
The worst part is that even if you buy your own spare separately, many of the cars had no designated place to put it, so it would eat up usable cargo space. Since I was looking at wagons, I didn’t want anything taking up space I needed for other purposes. One of the cars I compared was another hybrid, that not only didn’t have a spare, but put the hybrid batteries in the cargo area. So when the dealer showed me “how convenient it would be to put a tire in the cargo area” there was maybe enough space left to put my handbag in the back, and that was it. I am sure I gave that guy a look like he had two heads or something when he did that. :sad2: He even tried to tell me that I wouldn’t need to have the tire in there all the time! What?!?

If you do decide to go Cadillac, Lincoln or a high-end Jeep then I would try taking a look at certified pre-owned (CPO). I have three BMWs at home and all of them were purchased 1-2 years old, with less than 20k miles and about 30-40% off the original MSRP. In states like MA that have yearly excise tax, you will also save a lot of money.

The worst part is that even if you buy your own spare separately, many of the cars had no designated place to put it, so it would eat up usable cargo space. Since I was looking at wagons, I didn’t want anything taking up space I needed for other purposes. One of the cars I compared was another hybrid, that not only didn’t have a spare, but put the hybrid batteries in the cargo area. So when the dealer showed me “how convenient it would be to put a tire in the cargo area” there was maybe enough space left to put my handbag in the back, and that was it. I am sure I gave that guy a look like he had two heads or something when he did that. :sad2: He even tried to tell me that I wouldn’t need to have the tire in there all the time! What?!?

IME, male car sales reps will say all kinds of really outrageous things to female buyers; stuff that is obvious nonsense, possibly designed to test how ignorant we are. The thing is, a lot of us (and if raised in the South, especially), were raised to think that it isn't polite to call BS on a stranger, so we tend not to actually call them on it -- we just walk. It amazes me that the dealership world doesn't seem to have caught on to this yet.

I bought a new car (an Outback) in 2019, thank goodness, and what I noticed was different from when I bought the previous one 10 years before that is that storage spaces of all kinds seem to be disappearing or getting smaller. Even the little pockets for loose change are gone from most vehicles.

OP, one thing to consider if you switch to a luxury brand is how much "softer" the ride is going to be. I tended to buy stripped-down models most of my life for cost reasons, and now that that isn't such a problem, I have added a few nice options that I just plain like; including nicer seats. However, the one thing I cannot get used to is really marshmallow-y suspension. As a driver, I really like to feel a solid connection between myself and the road, and IME you lose that with really soft suspension, so for me, true luxury brands are a no-go.

Also, be aware that some cars, especially SUV's, can have an undermount storage bracket for a spare. It's a bracket behind the rear bumper that holds the tire flat under the gas tank. My previous car, a Hyundai Santa Fe, had one of those, and so does my DS' Hyundai Elantra hatchback.

PS: The last 3 flats I've had, including 1 on a rental car with low-profile tires, were not reparable. DH has had the same experience with the low-profile tires on his Acura. Not because we ran on them flat (we didn't), but because the damage was on the sidewall. We both now carry battery-powered inflators to use to keep slow leaks topped-up until we can reach a repair shop.

Last edited:
The worst part is that even if you buy your own spare separately, many of the cars had no designated place to put it, so it would eat up usable cargo space.
That's actually one thing we've looked at when it comes to car shopping these last few months. It's what do you have in that little compartment if you have anything. Some cars have a full spare tire, others a donut and others nadda. I do think though as apprehensive as I would be about not having a spare tire the actual tires they put on cars are more and more the ones designed to go at least some distance on it just like a donut was so unless it's a really bad blow out if you've got those types of tires you can typically make it somewhere to replace the tire which is what the old spare donuts were designed for. So now I want to pay attention to what tires they have on the vehicle and if they are rated to go if they get punctured (even though that is a limitation of function) than I had previously thought of just before car shopping this year.

Just went to a dealer today to look at Tuscon Hybrid. They have none on the lot and we were told they may have some in transit. And any price would be at least $2,000 over MSRP. Thank goodness we do not need to buy a car right now. Lease is up but since we both are retired we can live with 1 car for now.

That's actually one thing we've looked at when it comes to car shopping these last few months. It's what do you have in that little compartment if you have anything. Some cars have a full spare tire, others a donut and others nadda. I do think though as apprehensive as I would be about not having a spare tire the actual tires they put on cars are more and more the ones designed to go at least some distance on it just like a donut was so unless it's a really bad blow out if you've got those types of tires you can typically make it somewhere to replace the tire which is what the old spare donuts were designed for. So now I want to pay attention to what tires they have on the vehicle and if they are rated to go if they get punctured (even though that is a limitation of function) than I had previously thought of just before car shopping this year.

I have such bad luck when it comes to flats. My first flat, a car going the opposite direction caught a wrench that was lying on the road and shot it across to my lane, where it cut a six inch long slash in my sidewall. The second flat the tread separated from the sidewall, even though visually and age wise the tire should not have failed. The second one happened on my way to work at 5:00am on a Sunday, so it took a day to get a new tire since everything was closed by the time I got off work. Fortunately I had spare tires in both cars and AAA to do the swap.

Everyone has to decide for themselves whether it’s worth the risk to go without a spare. But for me, a spare or donut is a necessity. I have read a little about the tires you can drive on after a puncture, but I don’t think that applies if you have a catastrophic failure like mine. They would probably work OK if you just get a nail in the tire. I would still want a donut tire for myself, based on my experience. It would be nice if every vehicle had somewhere to store a donut, even if the manufacturer wasn’t supplying one. I wonder how many cars you can attach an external carrier to? It really shouldn’t have to come to that.

The other hybrid I looked at didn’t even have a compartment for a spare tire. They had filled all that space with batteries, and the battery packs were three inches above the bottom of the hatch opening, taking up more space. There was literally nowhere to put a spare unless you put it in the back seat, or filled your cargo space with it. It was poorly designed, in my opinion, and is no longer available. My Prius v has the batteries under the rear seat, so not only do I have space to store a tire under the floor of the cargo area, but there are two large storage bins for other things (I keep a full size golf umbrella in one of them, to give you an idea of how wide it is).

Getting a new car these days requires almost as much research as planning a Disney trip! :surfweb:

I have a Lincoln buy back pending... no Lincolns to be found - considered the Escalade instead - dealer said $25k "Market Value Adjustment" above MSRP. Nope, I'll order a Navigator!

Everyone has to decide for themselves whether it’s worth the risk to go without a spare.
Def.

I have a donut in my ancient car and I've had to use it twice in a pinch. I should probably check it to make sure it's still good. I'm still 50/50 on it. I remember first hearing the stories several years back about cars not including spare tires or donuts anymore and thinking "what were they thinking" so it's still something in the back of my mind.

Getting a new car these days requires almost as much research as planning a Disney trip! :surfweb:
:lmao:No kidding!

I wouldn’t necessarily rule out a car just because there weren’t many on the lot. Maybe they are just popular and hard to keep in stock because they sell well.

This- especially right now. I bought a car about six weeks ago and it was unlike any car buying experience I've ever had. I had to hunt around to see which dealership had which car in stock. Honda didn't even try to sell; they had one of the model I was interested in and told me they'd sell it by the end of the day, to me or someone else. Mazda told me they weren't even allowing test drives, but the guy literally ran after me once I decided that meant I wasn't interested and told me I could only test drive one car (I was interested in two models.) They're not negotiating much (I got Hyundai to go down about $500, that's it) and most of the dealerships I visited were not trying very hard to sell- they didn't need to.

Not exactly Jeeps finest hour for me, what kind of fool idea is it to leave out a spare tire? I'm conflicted
I didn't know this was a thing either. We generally buy used cars two or three old and have always had spares. This last trip for a car for our youngest son to the Hyundai dealership the plan was a used one as well. We ended up getting him a new elantra though because of the deal. Anyway it does have a spare but when he told his brother about the car his older brother advised his wifes car did not come with one. Weird thing is she had bought an elantra as well but it was a couple years old.

As I went from dealership to dealership, I learned that spares and even donuts are not the norm these days, which surprised me. Hyundai seems to have dropped spares/donuts for a while and then brought them back. I know someone with a 2020 Kona that came with a can of Fix-a-Flat, and my 2022 Kona came with a donut.

IME, male car sales reps will say all kinds of really outrageous things to female buyers; stuff that is obvious nonsense, possibly designed to test how ignorant we are. The thing is, a lot of us (and if raised in the South, especially), were raised to think that it isn't polite to call BS on a stranger, so we tend not to actually call them on it -- we just walk. It amazes me that the dealership world doesn't seem to have caught on to this yet.

I don’t have a problem with telling them. I remember liking the look of the PT Cruiser when it first came out and so before we went to our usual Ford dealer, we stopped to look at one in person. The back window was positioned too high for me to see out properly. No biggie, that’s why a person goes to look at a car in person to begin with, to make sure it’s a good ergonomic fit. So the guy says how do you like it. I said I am sorry, but I can’t see out the back window, so it’s not for me. Before I can get out of the car, he’s in there tearing out the headrests and folding down the back seat and asking if I can see now. I told him no, the window position was the problem and he wasn’t going to be able to fix it. He sure was trying though!

I told the guy with the hybrid that the whole reason I was looking at wagons was for the cargo space, and if the car didn’t have any once I put a spare tire in it, then it wasn’t going to work for me. I figure if I don’t tell them why I am not buying the car, nothing will change. It is a little ironic that both cars I turned down, and the one I have now, are no longer available new. I am not sure what I will do when it’s time to buy again. I have driven wagons for years, because I like the cargo space, but don’t like the height and feel of an SUV. Maybe wagons will come back . . .

I have no advice, thoughts or suggestions regarding the OP’s question, but wanted to chime in about spare tires since that has come up a few times. I don’t have a spare, but my car has the “run flat” tires. I drove on faith, hoping I wouldn’t end up stranded out in the middle of nowhere (and I’m in Montana, so there’s plenty of “middle of nowhere” here). One of my boys, on the day he got his license, took a turn out of a parking lot too tight, went over the curb and into a massive hole that he promptly drove right on out of. I was sure he destroyed the back end of the car, but “all” he did was flatten a tire. I drove it to a tire shop a few miles away to have them look at the tire and put some air in it, and repair if needed. Well, the tire wouldn’t hold any air, so they took it off to look at repairing it. That’s when a gash about ten inches long was found. It was almost like someone slashed it with a knife. We were already planning on putting new tires on my car, so the incident just made us do so a couple weeks sooner than we had planned. But the experience gave me some confidence that if something were to happen in the “middle of nowhere,” we would be ok to drive “somewhere” to get things taken care of. Just thought I’d share my personal experience with the “run flats.”

I really need to replace my 9 yo Ram 1500. Coming on quarter million miles. That Jeep Gladiator has got to be one of the ugliest trucks ever made in american history. Man that is one thing I will not wake up next to. Probably moving on to a GMC sierra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter