New Castaway Club gift bag?

Our last cruise on the Fantasy a couple of weeks ago, we had two cabins. Both got the beach bag and 2 tumblers. At first I did not care for the burlap bag as it was so itchy and smelled funny. But I was definitely thankful to have those two to put all the purchases we made into them. And the tumbers are great!

I doubt we will be going to Europe or even Alaska anytime soon as it requires longer travel time and that means time away from work (we own a business and 7 nights is challenging with the our awesome employees) I cannot imagine leaving them for 10 or so days to travel to take an Alaskan cruise or the 16 or so days to travel for a European cruise.

I really enjoy the gifts we have receieved over the cruises we have taken. And yes, we have lots of burlap bags and lots of tumblers, a few photo albums too. But we are just most appreciative of having the opportunity to cruise with Disney and even those repeat gifts are nice to have. :)

Three years ago, we received a beach bag. The handle broke on it first use, we just had towels and sunscreen in it. Our stateroom host noticed it was broken and replaced it without us even mentioning it (we were not planning on complaining, as it was a free gift). I thought that was very nice. Unfortunately, the second one broke too, but it's the thought that counts!

Three years ago, we received a beach bag. The handle broke on it first use, we just had towels and sunscreen in it. Our stateroom host noticed it was broken and replaced it without us even mentioning it (we were not planning on complaining, as it was a free gift). I thought that was very nice. Unfortunately, the second one broke too, but it's the thought that counts!

They no longer use those little rope handles.

Unfortunately they now use stinky, scratchy, pulls-at-your-clothes burlap for the bag.

Three years ago, we received a beach bag. The handle broke on it first use, we just had towels and sunscreen in it. Our stateroom host noticed it was broken and replaced it without us even mentioning it (we were not planning on complaining, as it was a free gift).

These items are NOT FREE. What some people see as Disney largesse, are actually factored into the cruise price you pay.

Got the canvas bag September 2015 (and at least 5 cruises since). Next cruise is September 2017 and was hoping for a new bag type since it will be 2 years since the canvas bag was first released.

These items are NOT FREE. What some people see as Disney largesse, are actually factored into the cruise price you pay.

I think the cost of the items that they give to returning guests are too miniscule to be considered a part of your cruise rate.
For example, the cute little burlap bag probably costs 1.50. They are made and ordered in bulk and are sitting in the host/hostess supply cabinets waiting to be left in the cabins.
Those awesome tumblers are maybe (and this is a HUGE guess) 3.00 per tumbler, again created specifically for DCL at cost, bulk ordered and stored on the ship.

Guess I'm going to have to book Europe or Alaska just to get a backpack or sling bag! LOL We have one backpack and we love it and use it quite a bit at home. I'd love another. We have several of the canvas beach bags and really don't use them. Last cruise I left the burlap beach bag behind, we didn't use it and it's too smelly & scratchy. But I for sure brought home the travel coffe mugs and we use those!

Got the canvas bag September 2015 (and at least 5 cruises since). Next cruise is September 2017 and was hoping for a new bag type since it will be 2 years since the canvas bag was first released.

You will probably get the smelly scratchy burlap one.

You will probably get the smelly scratchy burlap one.

I've got my fingers crossed...hoping a change from when it started 2 years ago. I love my black platinum one and take that one with me. The burlap canvas bag is the worst one ever, and it smells.

I mean, if you're going to get picky, you could use the same argument for pretty much everything onboard... free soda, free ice cream, free steak, free room service, free 15+ hours of childcare a day, free movie theatre...
Not arguing, really don't care either way, just making an observation :upsidedow

I do....every trip to a Disney park (4-5 a year), every cruise (1-2 a year), all other vacations that have any walking around (2-3) a year. I have a couple smaller ones and a couple larger ones. Love them.....and they don't make my back hurt.

Me on a cruise, at Epcot and in New Mexico....again, I love them
GC Nancy holding turtle 2.JPG
EPCOT_ECENTR3_7623543245.jpeg DSCN0597.JPG

If I like the gifts I keep them. If I don't I leave them behind. I haven't kept a bag on DCL since the last backpack. The tumblers are great to use onboard. If I kept every one I've received I'd need more cabinets in the kitchen. I have 2 at home. I don't bring home anymore.

If I like the gifts I keep them. If I don't I leave them behind. I haven't kept a bag on DCL since the last backpack. The tumblers are great to use onboard. If I kept every one I've received I'd need more cabinets in the kitchen. I have 2 at home. I don't bring home anymore.
I would love to have two. On our cruise we only got one.

It amuses me that so many people are picky about the complimentary gift given on the cruises. I know we pay a lot for going on DCL, but sometimes, a gift is still a gift, even if it's not something you're going to use everyday. Disney can't please everyone with everything. Why can't we all just be happy with what we're being given? Just a thought....

It amuses me that so many people are picky about the complimentary gift given on the cruises. I know we pay a lot for going on DCL, but sometimes, a gift is still a gift, even if it's not something you're going to use everyday. Disney can't please everyone with everything. Why can't we all just be happy with what we're being given? Just a thought....
Like your post, if anyone going on the Dec 4 cruise, I'd be happy to take any of their complimentary:thanks: gifts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter