New Character Interactions On Disney Cruise Line

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
The character interactions on Disney Magic UK cruises are the same as they currently are at Walt Disney World and Disneyland California.

Edit 23 July July, these will be the same procedures for the US based cruises when they restart in August 2021

There are no personal interaction, hugs or autographs.

The characters are either walking around the ship or visit various locations such as the trivia games. Photos with characters are social distance selfies.

The Princesses appear in The Atrium.

The Fab 5, Mickey, Minnie and friends walk around the ship but most frequently on deck 10

The Marvel Characters visit games and trivia and have a meet and greet area, which is social distance, selfies only.

Last edited:
I definitely like the character cavalcades in WDW better. This sounds great also - no long lines snaking around the ship and everyone gets to see the characters.

Sad to hear that. If we ever re book a first cruise I’d want to make sure we could get our pictures with the characters in their nautical outfits.

The characters were wearing their nautical outfits one of the days on the UK test cruise. You can still get a photo with them, but its s social distance selfie

But the pictures are horrible - you look like a stalker trying to get a pic with a celeb without them knowing.
well its either than or no photos with characters your choice, I bet once you are actually on the ship and in the Disney atmosphere you will have a different view. Its the same in Walt Disney World and Disneyland California.

well its either than or no photos with characters your choice, I bet once you are actually on the ship and in the Disney atmosphere you will have a different view. Its the same in Walt Disney World and Disneyland California.

Or you know it’s one more big perk that families use to justify spending thousands more for on DCL that no longer weighs in Disneys favor.

I don’t post a lot lately because with CoVid we aren’t cruising, but it’s getting really old to see some posters constantly respond with sarcastic or condescending quips every time someone with DCL experience expresses disappointed in the changes. We don’t need scolding.

For us the biggest difference is that with that setup we would totally skip character photos and the photo package. We used to buy the digital package of every picture. Oh well. It's just a few hundred dollars I'll be saving now.

Yeah, I don't see why the non-face characters can't be outside and have. normal photo. Likewise with Palo brunch - the. buffet is now gone - don't see why it can't be like Cabanas.

Remember a few years ago they tried to "save paper" and just have the app for the Navigator - well, who honestly believes it'll ever come back now. The cruise used to be bliss where you could leave your phone in the room, now we'll be glued to it like the rest of the time. It's sad.

I don’t post a lot lately because with CoVid we aren’t cruising, but it’s getting really old to see some posters constantly respond with sarcastic or condescending quips every time someone with DCL experience expresses disappointed in the changes. We don’t need scolding.

OMG. I was just thinking this. Or being told how entitled we are for being castaway club members and saying we may not want to cruise under the current rules and restrictions. I have 7 cruises booked this year with the first one sailing next month. I have zero interest in sailing with all the lockdown restrictions. It is like stepping back into a bad dream watching vlogs from the UK staycation cruises. Our area is totally back to precovid conditions. No masks, no social distancing, everything totally open. Don’t want to go backwards.

I think I may like this better.
I agree. My DD and I were watching the videos this weekend, and I said to her that I think I prefer this way - no standing and waiting, and the spontaneous joy feeling of bumping into a character like this makes it more fun. Some of the more memorable encounters we remember from parks and cruises are the random waves and finger guns :)
My DD did say that she will miss autographs though. She's 12, and that's her jam.

I am not sure why character interactions have been cancelled since it is a fully vaxed cruise. Not sure why they can't do them and perhaps skip hugging?

We have 3 DCL cruises booked (hopefully for after our littles are able to be vaxed) and would be disappointed for my 3 and 5 yr old if this feature does not return to somewhat "normal"

For us the biggest difference is that with that setup we would totally skip character photos and the photo package. We used to buy the digital package of every picture. Oh well. It's just a few hundred dollars I'll be saving now.
We already ordered a photo package for the Aug 16th cruise. If there are no character photos I wonder what we are paying for.

Remember a few years ago they tried to "save paper" and just have the app for the Navigator - well, who honestly believes it'll ever come back now. The cruise used to be bliss where you could leave your phone in the room, now we'll be glued to it like the rest of the time. It's sad.
They still had the paper Navigators available at Guest Services. I always picked it up there.

The character interactions on Disney Magic UK cruises are the same as they currently are at Walt Disney World and Disneyland California.

There are no personal interaction, hugs or autographs.

The characters are either walking around the ship or visit various locations such as the trivia games. Photos with characters are social distance selfies.

The Princesses appear in The Atrium.

The Fab 5, Mickey, Minnie and friends walk around the ship but most frequently on deck 10

The Marvel Characters visit games and trivia and have a meet and greet area, which is social distance, selfies only.

Characters appearing randomly on the ship was my favorite « characters appearance« on the Disney ships. I saw Goofy doing that on our cruises (Sleepwalking on main deck, playing with kids, walking around). :)

I like it better that way. :)

Last Christmas, my daughter got a photo with a Santa-in-a-snowglobe. She was outside the snow globe, he was inside. I wish DCL would do something creative like that--maybe have the characters behind a glass porthole for better photos.

But when you saw that you had that and could STILL do the meet & greets. Why shouldn't it be like that again? Where both are happening around the ship?

Characters appearing randomly on the ship was my favorite « characters appearance« on the Disney ships. I saw Goofy doing that on our cruises (Sleepwalking on main deck, playing with kids, walking around). :)

I like it better that way. :)

Something like this would be better than what they have now.

Though I think it might be time to just confess. Real Truth? As a grown woman I know they're actors playing a part. But the little girl in me can forget that for just a few moments from time to time when I'm actively engaging and a hug from Mickey means the world to my inner child.

That part of me would rather have the hug/memory than the picture. The idea that I might never get to hug another character makes me a little sad. I mean, I'll get over it - it's not the end of the world, but a little wistful.

There now I've gone and done it, I've been real and sincere on the internet.

Last Christmas, my daughter got a photo with a Santa-in-a-snowglobe. She was outside the snow globe, he was inside. I wish DCL would do something creative like that--maybe have the characters behind a glass porthole for better photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter