New Contact lenses..

4HOLIDAYS

DIS Veteran
My DS18 has decided he wants to get contacts in addition to glasses. He needs new a new Rx anyway . I am told that he will get 1 rx for reg glasses and another for contacts that include "k" readings. Then he will need to have a trial pair for a week.

Any advice on the types and costs? I see the ads for online and not sure I woul;d start with that. Are they the same everywhere? Ideas on what it will cost? I think he wants disposable so he does not sleep in them.

We do not have vision ins for this. We are going to a dr at Vision Works, told $105. Our old dr would be over $400 for the full visit without any ins.

Any advise is appreciated. TIA!

Before I got Lasik I wore daily contacts, and before that I wore 2 week lenses. The dailies are more expensive, I think I paid around maybe 50-75 cents a day from 1-800-contacts. I can't be much help on pricing but I do know with 1-800-contacts they'll buy back whatever contacts you don't use, in case their prescription changes. Other retailers may do this also. Just a helpful policy to be aware of :confused3

Your eye doctor will make a recommendation. I have an astigmatism and high prescription so can only use a few different brands. They'll look at his eye, talk with him about does he prefer throw away dailies or multi-day wear, how much can he afford etc. I've never felt pressured into one specific brand as my eye doctor will give me a few option and tell me to try each one for a week.

I've had contacts since I was 10 and I'm now 32. For someone who is just starting out, 2 week lenses are a lot more responsibility. Daily's are more expensive up front but you wont be buying as much contact solution to put them in every night and if he ever forgets to take them out over night he can just toss them and get a fresh pair.

I wear mine for sports and outdoor activities, going to the park... cutting the lawn.. stuff like that. I don't use them every day so to be able to just grab a fresh pair when i need its nice and doesn't make me feel like im wasting the 2 week ones or forced to wear them.

I just ordered a 3 month supply of Accuview Moist Daily for about $175... Those 3 months worth last me about a year....

Also with 1800-contacts if you haven't had an exam within the last 12 months then they will not sell them to you (They reach out to your dr to verify the script). Best bet is to do a 3 month supply from DS's first exam and if he likes them then get more from 1800-contacts.

Contacts have different price points based on the brand and type. Some doctors make the contact prescription for a specific brand of lenses, and it's not always the most cost effective brand. So one of the questions that I would ask while in the appointment would be to inquire about brands and the cost associated with each. I've had the old school disposable every 2 weeks Acuvue2 and they are your cheapest around $20/box (possibly less). I also have another brand that's around $30/box. Be prepared for each eye to have it's own prescription, so you'll need two boxes (2 week wear will have 6-8 in a box) one for each eye. This will be anywhere from $50-$80. Also don't be afraid to shop around for the best price on contacts. I've bought online at Vision Direct and 1800 contacts as well as instore at Walmart and Vision Works. But for the first box I might buy directly from their office as he's still learning of this style will work best for him. It might sound odd, but you don;t want to stock up too much at first as he could have reactions to a particular brand after wearing them for a few months. Nothing bad, just his eyes might not 'like' a specific style anymore. I know my eyes get this way from time to time. And either I take a break form contacts or switch it up. Depends on how many unopened I have remaining.

Be prepared for some ripped and dropped/lost contacts early on. This can be a hidden cost as once it's ripped or lost you'll need to open a new pack, thus going through them quicker than anticipated.

Your doctor will discuss different styles with you. There's the 2 week variety and those that can be work for longer periods of time and slept in. I'm a 2 week wearer (and have been for 25 years), while DH prefers the longer wear and sleeps in his. Me I just don't like sleeping in mine. I also learned about 20 years ago the importance of taking my contacts out daily for good eye health. But each person is different and their responsibility to their eye health is different. Hence the importance of talking to your physician about what the best type will be for your son.

Last edited:
We don't have vision insurance either. The difference between vision works and your other eye doctor might be the difference between an optometrist and an opthamologist. I take my kids to the ophthamologist (MD). Once you get the prescriptions, you can shop online for contacts and compare prices. You can also go through various shopping portals for points/cash back.

Piece of advice from someone wearing contacts for a year...

When the contacts fold over, don't try to pull them apart. I just kept tearing them. Instead, place them back in the plastic contact case with solution and shake them up. This unfolds them and I haven't had a torn contact since.

Be sure to shake the case when you take them out for storage. Never leave them folded in the case. They end up with a crease and are uncomfortable to wear.

On putting them in, here is how I was able to get them in without frustration...
With the contact on your index finger, grab you top eyelid with the opposite hand and pull up. Then with the middle finger of the hand with the contact, pull down the bottom eyelid. The contact should now be positioned directly in front of your eye.
Place the contact on the eyeball. While still holding the contact with your finger, move your eyeball around to help the contact seat. Let go of the bottom lid, then the top, and last remove your finger. It should be in.

My DS18 has decided he wants to get contacts in addition to glasses. He needs new a new Rx anyway . I am told that he will get 1 rx for reg glasses and another for contacts that include "k" readings. Then he will need to have a trial pair for a week.

Any advice on the types and costs? I see the ads for online and not sure I woul;d start with that. Are they the same everywhere? Ideas on what it will cost? I think he wants disposable so he does not sleep in them.

We do not have vision ins for this. We are going to a dr at Vision Works, told $105. Our old dr would be over $400 for the full visit without any ins.

Any advise is appreciated. TIA!
What we recommend will not matter. It is up to the doctor who does the exam to prescribe the type of lenses your son needs. Just like any prescription, you cannot make the decision to change it for something cheaper or that is not equal to the lenses prescribed. An online company would have to call your doctor to get the okay to sell something different to you. Your doctor can and will deny the change in a lot of cases.

As far as cost, if you can get an eye exam, contact lenses and spectacles for $105, then go for it. Around here, a refraction would cost $85 and a contact lens fitting would be an additional $40. And that doesn't cover the materials, which would depend on the frame, type of lenses in the spectacles, and the contact lenses supplied. Trial lenses should be dispensed at no cost and you should be able to walk out the door with both Rx's (eyeglasses and contact lenses) so that you can shop around for the best price.

FWIW, the ACA requires that all health insurance plans covers children for eye exam and glasses through the age of 18 without purchasing an additional vision plan. That's thru the age of 18 (as in not 19 years old, yet). It's considered to be an essential pediatric benefit. Check with your health insurance plan. IIRC, Visionworks accepts most vision plans but they are actually owned by Davis Vision. However, it still will not cover the contact lens exam/fitting fee and usually allows for eyeglasses or contact lenses, but not both. Some plans will not cover contact lenses at all and will only provide the benefit for eyeglasses.

What we recommend will not matter. It is up to the doctor who does the exam to prescribe the type of lenses your son needs. Just like any prescription, you cannot make the decision to change it for something cheaper or that is not equal to the lenses prescribed. An online company would have to call your doctor to get the okay to sell something different to you. Your doctor can and will deny the change in a lot of cases.

As far as cost, if you can get an eye exam, contact lenses and spectacles for $105, then go for it. Around here, a refraction would cost $85 and a contact lens fitting would be an additional $40. And that doesn't cover the materials, which would depend on the frame, type of lenses in the spectacles, and the contact lenses supplied. Trial lenses should be dispensed at no cost and you should be able to walk out the door with both Rx's (eyeglasses and contact lenses) so that you can shop around for the best price.

FWIW, the ACA requires that all health insurance plans covers children for eye exam and glasses through the age of 18 without purchasing an additional vision plan. That's thru the age of 18 (as in not 19 years old, yet). It's considered to be an essential pediatric benefit. Check with your health insurance plan. IIRC, Visionworks accepts most vision plans but they are actually owned by Davis Vision. However, it still will not cover the contact lens exam/fitting fee and usually allows for eyeglasses or contact lenses, but not both. Some plans will not cover contact lenses at all and will only provide the benefit for eyeglasses.

FWIW, on my vision plan...I am much better off using the benefit for glasses and just paying for contacts out of pocket (you have to choose one or the other). I wear monthly contacts now. I have gone to LensCrafters. My copay for my exam was around $75...included prescriptions for glasses and contacts as well as a trial pair of contacts.

I see the eye Dr inside my Costco, he's not affiliated just has his offer there. I order everything through Costco. I did this prior to having ins and after. He charges 90 including the contact exam without ins which is a great price.

What I save doing it all at Costco pays for the yearly membership cause glasses and contacts are cheaper too. Saving on gas and other stuff is a bonus. I also really like my Dr.

FWIW, on my vision plan...I am much better off using the benefit for glasses and just paying for contacts out of pocket (you have to choose one or the other). I wear monthly contacts now. I have gone to LensCrafters. My copay for my exam was around $75...included prescriptions for glasses and contacts as well as a trial pair of contacts.
Some plans are like that. Davis Vision, for instance, can be pretty generous as long as you stick to their carousel of frames. If you choose a frame from another board, they may only allow $10 toward the retail cost of the frame and the patient pays the remainder. Not such a good deal compared to what they may allow toward the purchase of doctor-supplied contact lenses. You really need to know what your plan covers or hope that the retailer/doctor's staff can explain it to you.

Thank you so much for all this info. I will check on my ins as well. I thought it was only up to 18 yrs old. Maybe that will help save a few $.

My eye dr. puts exactly the brand and type of lense I need. I usually get them from Costco, but will also see what online sites can compare, especially with your first order when you can get an additional discount (Coastal was one I used recently). My lenses are 2 weeks, but I wash them daily with multi-purpose solution and can easily extend them another 2 weeks. My prescription hasn't changed in 10 years.

I go to lenscrafters. i like my doctor and just buy the contacts there as well. I don't know if they are cheaper elsewhere, I guess I feel like since i've been going there for probably 10 years I just feel it's right to buy from him vs take the rx and go elsewhere.

My contacts are disposed of just monthly. I can sleep in them and recommended to take out once a week for cleaning. That worked well for almost 20 years and now I find it is much more comfortable to take out each night (lol can't believe it took me 20 years to figure that out!). But it is still nice, if I am really tired or don't feel like taking my cleaning solution someplace overnight I can just sleep in them.

I buy a years supply at once and always get a $50ish mail in rebate by doing that.

Hello all. I'm an optometrist and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll gladly provide this service to my fellow DISers.

One thing to mention, in most states a contact lens prescription is valid for a year and must be filled with the exact specifications on the prescription (Brand, replacement, power, BC, etc.).

Dr. Tim

I use contacts all the time. I wear mine constantly for a month, then toss them. My daughter started in the daily wear disposables. After a year she moved up to the ones you wear for a month but take out every couple days. When trying a new brand, we usually get the first box from the eye doctor because they will exchange them for free if we have problems. I reorder at Sam's Club (no Costco in our area) because they are the cheapest.

My glasses were a couple prescriptions old, so I really needed new ones, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on something I hardly ever use. I decide to try one of the cheap online sites (goggles4u) and was really impressed. I used the measurements from my old glasses to get the right size frame and chose a style I know works for me. For less than $20 they work great and have lasted for a year with no problems!

If you have any American Express cards, check your offers. There is one for $40 back on a $200 purchase at 1-800-CONTACTS, good through 9/12.

I've had contacts for 20 years and have nearly exclusively worn them for 15. I wear biofinity because of horrible sight, astigmatism, and I prefer to sleep in mine. A week in 24/7, a day out, another week in, chuck that pair.

Buying at Costco has easily cut the cost in half, my insurance has always either been one or the other or glasses only (and my glasses often cost over $500) so I hunted around for the best price.

I noticed in a number of posts in this thread people mentioning sleeping in contacts. This is a risky habit, even if the contacts are designed to sleep in. Practically all corneal ulcers occur in people that sleep in contact lenses. A corneal ulcer is one of the most miserable experiences a person can have and can cause blindness. The only people I understand sleeping in contacts are emergency workers (firemen) that might have to respond on moments notice. It takes but a few seconds to remove and insert the lenses.
Dr. Tim
ulcer.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter