New Credit Card Authorization Holds

We had the same situation, we actually called our credit card (AMEX) to inquire and they said that Disney charged the balance separately and did not release the hold. It took a about 5 days for the hold to drop off after we got home.

Just returned home yesterday. This is what I am experiencing too. I can see my total folio pending on my credit card PLUS numerous individual pending charges that I'm assuming are the "holds". Luckily I have the available credit on my card for this to be pending twice but not everyone does. I think this is a very poor new policy on Disney's part. Next trip I won't be using my magic band for charging.

I am one is is increasingly worried about this new policy. We will be staying at the GF for 10 nights and will not have the dining plan for the first time. We had no intention of eating at a lot of table service restaurants but my parents decided to join us at the last minute and they wanted the dining plan. In order to use all of their credits, we will now be eating at a table service restaurant each night and charging the meal and tip back to our room. I understand that I can just use a card but that defeats the benefit of staying onsite and using a magic band. The reports that I am reading about cards being charged at $500 and/or being denied is quite concerning. I always pay down my balance with gift cards but having to go down each night is, IMHO, a burden. It seems that the denied charges is a problem whether you are paying it down with gift cards or just charging it right to the card. Either way, it doesn't sound like a good system.

you can't do on line check in without putting a card on file

Oh, ok, thank you for telling me this. That's very interesting. While I have enjoyed the online check-on perks since they have been instituted, I am more than willing to give up their minor benefits to have a trip without incident, in terms of my banking account. I mean, to tell you the truth, is online check-in THAT big of a deal?

I am trying to remember how it's made all that big a difference in my trips since I started using it. I mean, sure the last few times, I have been able to bypass visiting my resort front desk all together upon my check-in day, because of it, but I mean, I STILL always go inside my resort check-in area after the magical express drops me off because I always check my carry-on bag with bell services. It's not really that big a deal for me to get on the regular check-in line after this and well, check in. In fact, I sort of miss the human touch of this process that I haven't experienced the last few trips. So, it might take me 10-20 minutes (at worst). I'm in Disney, I think I would rather give up those minutes at that point in my trip than have to possibly spend an hour or more on the phone with my bank to try to sort our fraud red flags because of the charging fiasco.

So, anyway, thank God for the Dis. I now know what to do for my next vacation in December. Buy the Disney gift cards to pay for all my extras in advance and use regular check-in and don't put a card on file. There. Problem solved! Dis-ers have been extolling the virtues of using Disney gift cards for park spending for years anyway, it's a good idea. Charging back to my room and using the magic band for purchases, while a cool feature, has never been necessary.

Oh, ok, thank you for telling me this. That's very interesting. While I have enjoyed the online check-on perks since they have been instituted, I am more than willing to give up their minor benefits to have a trip without incident, in terms of my banking account. I mean, to tell you the truth, is online check-in THAT big of a deal?

I am trying to remember how it's made all that big a difference in my trips since I started using it. I mean, sure the last few times, I have been able to bypass visiting my resort front desk all together upon my check-in day, because of it, but I mean, I STILL always go inside my resort check-in area after the magical express drops me off because I always check my carry-on bag with bell services. It's not really that big a deal for me to get on the regular check-in line after this and well, check in. In fact, I sort of miss the human touch of this process that I haven't experienced the last few trips. So, it might take me 10-20 minutes (at worst). I'm in Disney, I think I would rather give up those minutes at that point in my trip than have to possibly spend an hour or more on the phone with my bank to try to sort our fraud red flags because of the charging fiasco.

So, anyway, thank God for the Dis. I now know what to do for my next vacation in December. Buy the Disney gift cards to pay for all my extras in advance and use regular check-in and don't put a card on file. There. Problem solved! Dis-ers have been extolling the virtues of using Disney gift cards for park spending for years anyway, it's a good idea. Charging back to my room and using the magic band for purchases, while a cool feature, has never been necessary.
I used a CC that I rarely use for online check in. As long as your room is already paid and you don't use the Magicband for charging, it will just be the $100 hold that gets released after check out.

I used a CC that I rarely use for online check in. As long as your room is already paid and you don't use the Magicband for charging, it will just be the $100 hold that gets released after check out.

That's good to know but I don't want to take any chances. I would rather they don't even do a $100 hold. Also, just in case I forget or by accident something goes wrong with wait-staff when I DO use the magic band to process my Dining Plan credits, I want to make sure there is NO credit card on file should there be some miscommunication (you never know) or I misspeak or something and by accident my meal extras get charged to the room.

It's really not an inconvenience for me to vacation this way, without a card on file, or using online check in. In fact, it will be a relief for some other reasons too, because I always used to have to take time to settle my bill every day or so, because I was always worried about going over the resort limit, like especially when I stayed in a value, it's less, there, and I have had my charging revoked when I attempted to charge for some meal incidentals in the past because I had reached my limit, and I didn't like that.

I just think it's simpler for me to no deal with charging - period. Better to pay for everything with cash (or gift cards) I have on hand at the time of purchase. This is just a relatively simple vacation adjustment I can easily make that will make things go smoother for me in the long run. So, I am going to look at this as when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I mean, to tell you the truth, is online check-in THAT big of a deal?
With your subsequent comments online check-in doesn't appear to really work out for you IYKWIM?

BUT if it were my husband and I we would for sure do online check-in. The $100 hold that would apply can be far less in comparison to other hotels out there. What is getting people here is that they are getting many holds because they are charging back to their room. So charging back to your room, which you have to opt into when you have a CC on file anyways, for those people concerned with the holds (which is totally understandable given how this hold business has unfolded) has for some not been worth it. But again that can be totally different than online check-in. Again though doesn't sound like online check-in was really your cup of tea which is absolutely fine.

Sounds
That's good to know but I don't want to take any chances. I would rather they don't even do a $100 hold. Also, just in case I forget or by accident something goes wrong with wait-staff when I DO use the magic band to process my Dining Plan credits, I want to make sure there is NO credit card on file should there be some miscommunication (you never know) or I misspeak or something and by accident my meal extras get charged to the room.

It's really not an inconvenience for me to vacation this way, without a card on file, or using online check in. In fact, it will be a relief for some other reasons too, because I always used to have to take time to settle my bill every day or so, because I was always worried about going over the resort limit, like especially when I stayed in a value, it's less, there, and I have had my charging revoked when I attempted to charge for some meal incidentals in the past because I had reached my limit, and I didn't like that.

I just think it's simpler for me to no deal with charging - period. Better to pay for everything with cash (or gift cards) I have on hand at the time of purchase. This is just a relatively simple vacation adjustment I can easily make that will make things go smoother for me in the long run. So, I am going to look at this as when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Sounds like a good plan. There's a lot to be said for keeping things stress- free. Have a great trip!

Phone CM's typically have no clue about anything.
This was someone responding to an email I sent to George Kalogridis’ office. Definitely not a clueless phone CM. She had sufficient authority to give me valuable compensation for our problems, which was unexpected but greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Girls are checking out today. Around 5 am, the room charge was processed (they didn't charge at all on MB). At the same time the hold of the combined room charge/ $100 was released and returned to the available balance. It was the Disney Chase Visa.

Girls are checking out today. Around 5 am, the room charge was processed (they didn't charge at all on MB). At the same time the hold of the combined room charge/ $100 was released and returned to the available balance. It was the Disney Chase Visa.

It seems that they do release the initial $100 hold but not all the holds for the daily charges. At least in my case with Disney Visa that is what happened. I am back 4 days now, still have the daily pending charges that add up to $1400 plus the $1400 actual charge so still holding $2800 of credit but no $100 pending from the first day.

We have always charged to our bands then paid down our charges with gift cards but with the new hold policy, I have no plans to charge anything to our bands on our upcoming trip as I don't feel like dealing with a lot of the headaches many are having.

Since my trip is already paid in full, I will just use my discounted gc's to cover all of our dining expenses and will just carry them with me to the parks and pay for our meals as we go. And, like you, if I decide to buy anything, I will plan to use cash or will just charge to my personal card not a biggie for me as I carry a small cross-body in the parks anyways.

As for online check-in...I haven't decided whether or not I will do it or just wait to check-in when I get there. I don't always do online check-in so it's really not a biggie for me either. If I do decide to do it though, I don't mind the 1 hold.

I want to go on vacation with as little stress as possible - all these holds and possibly being declined because of them, isn't for me. Heck, I may even find that I spend less on this trip - a win for me :)

So final report- We stayed May 16-27th at the Boardwalk. I had been concerned about the new holds (and yes it was clear they were causing havoc for some guest and we were warned by BW CMs to carry back up forms of payment). I decided to buy discounted gift cards and combined them (into 1K per card). We used them to pay for all TS meals (and tips) but often for quick snacks it was easier to charge to the room and pay down every day or two. We did have a day where we hit $135 and a $101 hold was added to the original hold. No idea why that amount.

Paid down everything so no real charges went through until our last morning when I found I had left my credit card in my bag at Bell Services and bathrobe from Tower of Terror was calling my daughter's name. Charged to room. Pending charge hit for exact amount immediately. Within three days of being back the $201 hold has been reversed (shows in pending charges as a negative number), the pending charge became a full charge and all is well. Used a Disney Chase card.

It seems that they do release the initial $100 hold but not all the holds for the daily charges. At least in my case with Disney Visa that is what happened. I am back 4 days now, still have the daily pending charges that add up to $1400 plus the $1400 actual charge so still holding $2800 of credit but no $100 pending from the first day.

Is it possible that since the actual single final charge was for the full $1400, that your CC company is still waiting for the individual daily pending charges to come through? I'm not sure there's a way for them to know that the single $1400 charge is to cover all those individual pending charges (holds) even though they add up to $1400 - maybe from their point of view, it could be a coincidence. I agree that if that is the case, it's Disney's fault, because when they put the $1400 charge through, they should release each and every one of the individual smaller charges/holds.

14 days left and Im getting ready for the battle of the credit card holds! My room is paid in full, my card has a 0 balance. I will be room charging. my kids may go on their own and its easier to scan a band than carry cash. I will have a backup card and a little cash. Good luck to us all!

We are going in 14days too. I am planning on using cash and my CC. The bands will have very little charging to them. I do not want to spend my precious vacation time dealing with this issue.

I am one is is increasingly worried about this new policy. We will be staying at the GF for 10 nights and will not have the dining plan for the first time. We had no intention of eating at a lot of table service restaurants but my parents decided to join us at the last minute and they wanted the dining plan. In order to use all of their credits, we will now be eating at a table service restaurant each night and charging the meal and tip back to our room. I understand that I can just use a card but that defeats the benefit of staying onsite and using a magic band. The reports that I am reading about cards being charged at $500 and/or being denied is quite concerning. I always pay down my balance with gift cards but having to go down each night is, IMHO, a burden. It seems that the denied charges is a problem whether you are paying it down with gift cards or just charging it right to the card. Either way, it doesn't sound like a good system.

I know you said you like the convenience of charging to the MB, but my last couple of onsite trips I found it easier to just carry a GC and use it to pay for meals. It can be a pain to go to the desk and pay down charges with the GC. With the website you can register your GCs and transfer money between them as needed.

We are going in 14days too. I am planning on using cash and my CC. The bands will have very little charging to them. I do not want to spend my precious vacation time dealing with this issue.

This! In part. I'm only using my debit card to pay for the room once we get there. I'm sliding the money over from savings the day before we leave so it'll be there ready to go on check in day. From that point on, it's pay cash for everything. I don't own a credit card and I don't need the headache many of you are having with the holds and sometimes being declined. I'm on vacation....I don't want to be bothered everyday about the balance on my band, It was so much easier back in 2015. I just charged on it when I didn't feel like pulling out my debit card and it worked out beautifully. I think in total, we had less than $100 on the band over a 4 day trip. Those charges came through and cleared in a short amount of time once we got home. I think spending cash will be better for me and my son anyway. I'm not as quick to whip out cash and hand it over as I am to just swipe my debit card casually.

This! In part. I'm only using my debit card to pay for the room once we get there. .......... I'm not as quick to whip out cash and hand it over as I am to just swipe my debit card casually.

And this is where their system will work against them. One major benefit of the MB for Disney was folks not paying attention to what they were spending. It was working quite well for them and all reports were spending was way up. The more folks pull out cash and cards instead of MB the more they will think twice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter