New Credit Card Authorization Holds

This! In part. I'm only using my debit card to pay for the room once we get there. I'm sliding the money over from savings the day before we leave so it'll be there ready to go on check in day. From that point on, it's pay cash for everything. I don't own a credit card and I don't need the headache many of you are having with the holds and sometimes being declined. I'm on vacation....I don't want to be bothered everyday about the balance on my band, It was so much easier back in 2015. I just charged on it when I didn't feel like pulling out my debit card and it worked out beautifully. I think in total, we had less than $100 on the band over a 4 day trip. Those charges came through and cleared in a short amount of time once we got home. I think spending cash will be better for me and my son anyway. I'm not as quick to whip out cash and hand it over as I am to just swipe my debit card casually.
Hmm... you might want to call ahead and pay off your room a day or two before you go. Otherwise, won't they put a hold on your card for the full amount of your room charges plus $100? And then they would put the full charge through on top of that hold. All of that would be avoided if you paid it before you arrived. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Hmm... you might want to call ahead and pay off your room a day or two before you go. Otherwise, won't they put a hold on your card for the full amount of your room charges plus $100? And then they would put the full charge through on top of that hold. All of that would be avoided if you paid it before you arrived. Or maybe I'm missing something.

I don't have a card on file, so how would they do that? Full amount of what room charges? You mean the price I paid for my 4 night resort stay? When have they ever done that? I've always walked in, handed them my card and paid for my room the day I check in. I know things have changed, but maybe I'm confused by what you're saying.

I don't have a card on file, so how would they do that? Full amount of what room charges? You mean the price I paid for my 4 night resort stay? When have they ever done that? I've always walked in, handed them my card and paid for my room the day I check in. I know things have changed, but maybe I'm confused by what you're saying.

Okay. I guess the scenario I posted would be if you completed online check-in. My apologies for the confusion.

And this is where their system will work against them. One major benefit of the MB for Disney was folks not paying attention to what they were spending. It was working quite well for them and all reports were spending was way up. The more folks pull out cash and cards instead of MB the more they will think twice.

Totally agree! Especially for DH.

He will spend less with this new system. The MB was so easy to use, key word was.

I've never used a debit card with them but I can say for the last couple years they charged my credit card in the wee hours of the morning long before I arrived. When I do arrive they say "Do you want to use the same credit card for charging?" This has been a problem before when I booked the room, but DH was paying for it because he was working there. Then they have had to go through a credit process and re-charging ... and I'm not even in my room yet.

I assume you are a room only. How did you pay your deposit? That info is likely on file. When you do online check-in that is to pre-approve the room charging, activate all so you can get right to parks ... and hopes of getting your room number to text. When you arrive and check-in, I would have already checked my bank account to make sure they haven't already taken the money out.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, this is exactly what they did with us. Your experience may be different, but it happened to us in March

And this is where their system will work against them. One major benefit of the MB for Disney was folks not paying attention to what they were spending. It was working quite well for them and all reports were spending was way up. The more folks pull out cash and cards instead of MB the more they will think twice.

I believe it was a double edged sword. If there had been relatively few issues with guests leaving big bills behind this new policy woudl never have been implemented. I have been going to WDW for over 30 years and have never had this kind of hold. Credit was extended and I paid the bill off every few days. The MB spending can add up if a person is not paying attention to every charge on that band, and if they do not have the funds to pay it off, that adds up too. Multiply that by how many people? And we now have this.

I am not putting myself through any stress, and no easy MB swiping is going to erase a call to my CC company to reverse a freeze, so cash and gift cards for me moving forward.

I've never used a debit card with them but I can say for the last couple years they charged my credit card in the wee hours of the morning long before I arrived. When I do arrive they say "Do you want to use the same credit card for charging?" This has been a problem before when I booked the room, but DH was paying for it because he was working there. Then they have had to go through a credit process and re-charging ... and I'm not even in my room yet.

I assume you are a room only. How did you pay your deposit? That info is likely on file. When you do online check-in that is to pre-approve the room charging, activate all so you can get right to parks ... and hopes of getting your room number to text. When you arrive and check-in, I would have already checked my bank account to make sure they haven't already taken the money out.

Okay then things have changed. I am room only. I used my debit card to pay that first night's deposit. I don't want to do online check in because I'm told that's putting my card on file and an automatic $100 hold will happen. When you say long before you arrive, how many days? I'm 3 days out and I just looked at my account yesterday and there's nothing there.

Okay then things have changed. I am room only. I used my debit card to pay that first night's deposit. I don't want to do online check in because I'm told that's putting my card on file and an automatic $100 hold will happen. When you say long before you arrive, how many days? I'm 3 days out and I just looked at my account yesterday and there's nothing there.

Usually between 6-9AM on check in day.

Well if they are charging my debit card on the day of check in, that's okay. I'd planned on moving that money Saturday afternoon to insure it's there and ready to go. Thank you @dansdad ! That makes me feel a little bit better.

Yes, what @dansdad said. The early morning hours of check in. I shared because some put deposit with one way of paying but plan to pay balance a different way or even cash. In our case we needed to go through a whole hassle because of it. AND the thought that if you don't do online check-in there won't be a CC/DC on file on your account is not really true .. it's there at Disney's access ~ even before arrival.

Last edited:
Yes, what @dansdad said. The early morning hours of check in. I shared because some put deposit with one way of paying but plan to pay balance a different way or even cash. In our case we needed to go through a whole hassle because of it. AND the thought that if you don't do online check-in there won't be a CC/DC on file on your account is not really true .. it's there at Disney's access ~ even before arrival.

Yes, exactly. I had gift cards I wanted to use to pay off my room, so I didn't want the charge going through on my credit card at all. I paid it off about a month early, at the same time as I paid of my package for the first part of our trip. It felt good knowing it was just taken care of and I wouldn't have any extra surprises on check-in day.

I know you said you like the convenience of charging to the MB, but my last couple of onsite trips I found it easier to just carry a GC and use it to pay for meals. It can be a pain to go to the desk and pay down charges with the GC. With the website you can register your GCs and transfer money between them as needed.

I have used the GC website before and I do like it. I will definitely avoid charging to my MB this trip.

I was always guilty of this!! I don't even think about the cost when I just have to tap my MB and my DS was able to get just about anything that he wanted. LOL Now, having to actually pay as I go, I can imagine that my bill will go way down. So while I don't like the change, this is going to be a win for our family!

I was always guilty of this!! I don't even think about the cost when I just have to tap my MB and my DS was able to get just about anything that he wanted. LOL Now, having to actually pay as I go, I can imagine that my bill will go way down. So while I don't like the change, this is going to be a win for our family!

My spending went way down when I stopped. Even getting free cup of ice water vs paying for a bottle of water adds up fast.

Will you no longer be able to use your magic band to charge and then go to the front desk to pay it? I have always used my Disney Visa Reward card to go to the front desk and pay off our balance. Whatever is left after that I have paid cash. Is that no longer an option and it's just automatically charged to the credit card...if I am understanding that correctly.

No. That is not how it works. You can still use your gift card but it needs to be in a timely way

Thought I’d give an update on how it’s gone for us with room charging using a Disney Visa, charging everything to the room, no dining plan, room only, did not pay the room off prior to arrival, did do online check in, have used gift cards periodically to pay on room charges. Since all those are sort of common arrangements
We arrived last Tuesday 5/28. It’s me, DH and DGD, 11
They ran a preauthorization for the total room payment but did not process the payment in full as it used to be done. I know this question was asked above, and this is a change since this new policy has been put in place. It was the same on our last stay, even without room charging, they did not process the room payment until we arrived. It was not done in the wee hours
The authorization amount was for our exact amount due, no more. ****EDIT - I made a math error, they DID add $100 to the preauthorization amount done on 5/28
We’ve had 3 additional pre-authorization sent to the card, all done on 5/29. They are still there as of 6/1
1 for $103.34
1 for $400.50
1 for $110.67
I know the one for $400 corresponds with our meal at Tiffins, we did the Lion King Tier 1 dinner package.
I’m not sure exactly where the rest comes from. It’s not a single transaction, a couple of small ones.
On 5/29 I went down to the desk and paid on the room with gift cards, not in full, only a partial payment. There was a balance remaining. I had another gift card but forgot to grab it
We’ve continued to use the bands 100% of the time ever since.
As of today, 6/1, the total balance remaining due according to the MDE app 6/1 is $2627 and change
I stopped by the desk on our way out this evening to pay off the room using our remaining gift card.
Not one more single authorization has been sent to the credit card since the ones done above on 5/29

Last edited:
My trip is already paid for and I plan to use gift cards for our meals. We have my debit card on file, don't have a credit card, so my question is what will they charge me? If any? unless I buy something using my magic band usually just drinks at the pool when I don't have my bag...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter