New Credit Card Authorization Holds

My trip is already paid for and I plan to use gift cards for our meals. We have my debit card on file, don't have a credit card, so my question is what will they charge me? If any? unless I buy something using my magic band usually just drinks at the pool when I don't have my bag...

If you do online check in with a card on file, it looks like they'll do a preauth for 100. Now whenever that hold falls off seems like a convoluted dance between when WDW cancels the hold and when your bank follows through

Ok, checked out yesterday, 6/3 so another update.
First, all of the above pending charges fell off the credit card on 6/2
Now, the way the charges ran through to the credit card, bonkers is the best way to describe it. If anyone had to reconcile these things they have to want to band their head against a wall. I mean, surely someone's stay is going to cross over a fiscal year and somewhere along the way, the books associated with this are going to be audited. With all these pending charges and credits flying around I don't know how on earth that would ever balance out for whoever has to review it. I feel for them.

I do not have a high limit on the card. Not super low but not super high. Frankly, the limit on the card and the total we spent for the 3 of us, for the 7 days, charging 100% of everything, including the room (and our AP renewal), about the same amount. I had a zero balance on the card when I started out. This I did made sure to do on purpose. I never had any problems with the limit because they didn't send through that many authorizations. Just those 4 above, never another. I'm wondering if they've made some sort of change or something. There's got to be a reason there were no more authorizations done
Strangely, as of 6/4, I do not see the final payment anywhere on my credit card, not even as a pending charge, even though they emailed me a copy of my folio at 4:30 yesterday morning, showing they processed the final payment amount. No clue where that is, when any other charge shows up on the statement within seconds after you charge it. Heck, I was getting a screen shot of the activity to show here while we were paying for a meal and within 30 seconds of handing the card over it appeared on the online activity on my app. So that tells me that whatever is going on with the final payment for the stay, it's on Disney's end, not the credit card company. Disney hasn't processed it. They will I'm sure.
I do have a new pending charge and pending credit of $115.95 from some stuff we bought yesterday. I mostly used my credit card directly, instead of the MB but wanted to use it just to see what happened, out of curiosity more than anything. Worked fine but I don't comprehend why they ran the charge then issued a credit today.

So the bottom line for us, this new policy ended up with absolutely no changes to our operations in the parks and using our bands in any way. Had I never looked at the online activity on my credit card, I'd have never known there had been any changes

Ok, checked out yesterday, 6/3 so another update.
First, all of the above pending charges fell off the credit card on 6/2
Now, the way the charges ran through to the credit card, bonkers is the best way to describe it. If anyone had to reconcile these things they have to want to band their head against a wall. I mean, surely someone's stay is going to cross over a fiscal year and somewhere along the way, the books associated with this are going to be audited. With all these pending charges and credits flying around I don't know how on earth that would ever balance out for whoever has to review it. I feel for them.

I do not have a high limit on the card. Not super low but not super high. Frankly, the limit on the card and the total we spent for the 3 of us, for the 7 days, charging 100% of everything, including the room (and our AP renewal), about the same amount. I had a zero balance on the card when I started out. This I did made sure to do on purpose. I never had any problems with the limit because they didn't send through that many authorizations. Just those 4 above, never another. I'm wondering if they've made some sort of change or something. There's got to be a reason there were no more authorizations done
Strangely, as of 6/4, I do not see the final payment anywhere on my credit card, not even as a pending charge, even though they emailed me a copy of my folio at 4:30 yesterday morning, showing they processed the final payment amount. No clue where that is, when any other charge shows up on the statement within seconds after you charge it. Heck, I was getting a screen shot of the activity to show here while we were paying for a meal and within 30 seconds of handing the card over it appeared on the online activity on my app. So that tells me that whatever is going on with the final payment for the stay, it's on Disney's end, not the credit card company. Disney hasn't processed it. They will I'm sure.
I do have a new pending charge and pending credit of $115.95 from some stuff we bought yesterday. I mostly used my credit card directly, instead of the MB but wanted to use it just to see what happened, out of curiosity more than anything. Worked fine but I don't comprehend why they ran the charge then issued a credit today.

So the bottom line for us, this new policy ended up with absolutely no changes to our operations in the parks and using our bands in any way. Had I never looked at the online activity on my credit card, I'd have never known there had been any changes

Thanks for the detailed reports! At this time we’re not scheduled to stay onsite until January, and I sure hope this situation has stabilized by then, but I’m not holding my breath!

I stayed at Coronado Springs in May on a business trip. I did not charge at all the my band since I was traveling with my boss and she was paying for most of the expenses we incurred. I carried a gift card for anything personal. when I checked out i got a print out of my final charges for my expense report which showed all the nightly room charges but it was probably 4-5 days after I got back that i actually saw the charge on my credit card. strangely enough the date it posted was the same date I checked out, but it was not showing as pending or anything for 4-5 days. I used my Chase Freedom card if that makes a difference.

I too thought that it was very strange how long it took to actually see the charge on my card.

Just to continue my updates, until everything is processed,
Checked out 6/3, as of 6/5 still nothing showing, pending or otherwise, for our final payment at check out.
The purchase I made at the park directly with my card shows and the purchase I made at the lobby bar as we waited on our Uber shows.

ETA - today, 6/6 the final payment on check out days showed up. And the date is 6/3. Strange behaviors for sure, to not show even as pending for 3 days and then bam, there is the charge.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can use Apple Pay at all of the restaurants, stores and carts?

I know you can at quick service, not sure about the regular restaurants. But it does work at the stores and carts that take magic bands too. Some of them are cash only anyway like the ones with toys and the balloons, last I checked. We were there last week but had no use for those so I have no idea.

We stayed last Friday and Saturday night (5/31-6/2) at BWV, and were assessed the $100 pre-authorization charge. It was credited back on our card Saturday night. Then, we went to AKV (6/2-6/7) where another $100 pre-authorization showed up Sunday morning, and it was credited back on Thursday night. We never charge back to the room.

Has anyone stayed recently that charged back to the MB and paid off with gift cards and stayed longer than 5 nights?

Posts have slowed down so wondering if it has improved any. We are staying 11 nights, plan on charging to the MB and paying off each night the charges with gift cards. Well we hope to if it has improved.

Has anyone stayed recently that charged back to the MB and paid off with gift cards and stayed longer than 5 nights?

Posts have slowed down so wondering if it has improved any. We are staying 11 nights, plan on charging to the MB and paying off each night the charges with gift cards. Well we hope to if it has improved.
I head down Friday for 9 nights and plan to use MB then payoff, I'll post how it's handled. My biggest concern is the linked cards being dropped on the 5th day, so plan to carry it with me in case it does.

I'm sitting in the airport in Orlando, waiting for our flight home. We stayed at Pop Century for 9 nights with no dining plan and 7 people. We charged everything to the room and I paid with gift cards every day or two. The charges were set to run through to the credit card on Thursday night after midnight (so early morning on Friday) after we had checked in on Sunday. We never had more than $1000 in accumulated charges to the room. We were using a Disney Visa (Chase) and had no problems. I had notified them of our travel plans.

Maybe you don't count 3 weeks as "recent", but that's what we did.

I did. We checked out last Monday.

I head down Friday for 9 nights and plan to use MB then payoff, I'll post how it's handled. My biggest concern is the linked cards being dropped on the 5th day, so plan to carry it with me in case it does.
We had no issues with our card dropping

Going for 9 nights/10 days. Last time we went a few years ago they didn't actually charge your card until the last night. Is this still the case? As long as I have the credit limit they put holds on my card and then I can pay with a gift card at the end?

I plan on charging everything to the room and having to take a gift card down daily seems annoying.

Can I "return" the room charges to have them run on a gift card instead?

Credit holds I can care less about I just want to make sure I pay with gift cards.

Going for 9 nights/10 days. Last time we went a few years ago they didn't actually charge your card until the last night. Is this still the case? As long as I have the credit limit they put holds on my card and then I can pay with a gift card at the end?

I plan on charging everything to the room and having to take a gift card down daily seems annoying.

Can I "return" the room charges to have them run on a gift card instead?

Credit holds I can care less about I just want to make sure I pay with gift cards.

They will run your charges on the 5th day I believe.

Do you know when on the fifth day? That's our sleep in day (after MK EMH until 2 am) and I'm wondering when I need to get there to use the gift cards.

Even the front desk struggled to tell us WHEN the "fifth day" truly was. One guy said it would be late on Wednesday night, but it turned out to be late on Thursday night/early Friday morning. We checked in on Sunday, so Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - and then they were supposed to run the charges sometime after midnight on Thursday but I spoke with someone on Thursday afternoon and he said he would leave a note for the night guy to run our room last so we would have time to use a gift card after we returned from our MK after hours event. We had dinner for 7 at LTT that evening and I really wanted to pay it with a gift card but didn't want to carry a $1000 gift card around at the park all night. Anyway, that was our experience.

Even the front desk struggled to tell us WHEN the "fifth day" truly was. One guy said it would be late on Wednesday night, but it turned out to be late on Thursday night/early Friday morning. We checked in on Sunday, so Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday - and then they were supposed to run the charges sometime after midnight on Thursday but I spoke with someone on Thursday afternoon and he said he would leave a note for the night guy to run our room last so we would have time to use a gift card after we returned from our MK after hours event. We had dinner for 7 at LTT that evening and I really wanted to pay it with a gift card but didn't want to carry a $1000 gift card around at the park all night. Anyway, that was our experience.
Great, and thanks. We're doing spirit of aloha on our fifth day, and as that's already pre-paid, I can pay off the balance before we leave for the show.

Just got off the phone with A very reliable DVA and was told (she called to OKW and spoke with the supervisor, as I was holding). You can pre-load your Folio with Disney Gift card or Cash or your Bank/Debit Account once you arrive on property - any amount you want. I am taking my debit card off my account - this will avoid any $100 holds and I can still use my MagicBand up to the amount that I have in my Folio. Yes, I may not get the text that my room is ready but I can live with that. I am going in 28 days and have already done on-line check in so, I may or may not get the text. Point being that it seems if you want to avoid the holds - just pre-pay on your Folio and MB tap away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter